The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 19, 2008, 08:47 PM   #1
savage.3006

general question

i was handed down a savage .30 06 model 110 bolt action, and the bolt is on the ride side ( which is the same side my head is on), i've never shot a bolt action only lever actions, is that alright that it is like that?
Old December 19, 2008, 08:49 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

bolt is ok

yes its cool that way... just funny to open the bolt again... not like an auto where the shell will kick ya in the face tho... the 110 dont have a cheeckplate... or monte carlo stock so placement from one side to the other on the stock shouldnt matter much.
Old December 19, 2008, 08:53 PM   #3
bigghoss

so you shoot left handed I gather from your post. there are many south paws out there who shoot right handed bolt-guns. I'm sure an experienced lefty could enlighten you more on techniques. the sniper in saving private Ryan was left handed and he would shoot from the left shoulder and reach over the stock and work the bolt with his left hand. I'm sure there's other ways too.
Old December 19, 2008, 08:53 PM   #4
nate45

Quote:
i was handed down a savage .30 06 model 110 bolt action, and the bolt is on the ride side ( which is the same side my head is on)
I'm going to go out on a limb here and surmise that you mean you are left handed. If I am correct, then it will be fine for you to fire the rifle, it should not harm you. The operation of the bolt will be slightly awkward though as you will have to reach over the rifle, but it can be done.
Old December 19, 2008, 08:55 PM   #5
The Terminator

If the bolt is on the right side, like this, it is a right handed rifle. If your head is on the right side when you shoot it, ie, you pull the trigger with your left hand, then you are shooting left handedly, no? If that is true, you will not be hurt in any way. I shoot left handed. About the third time I tore the meat off the top of my thumb while working the bolt with my right hand, I quit shooting RH bolties. Except for this one, my benchrest/sniper 308. It is an advantage to shoot a wrong handed bolty, be it right or left, from the bench or from the prone position. Clear as mud? - Ted
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old December 19, 2008, 09:00 PM   #6
savage.3006

yes i am a left hander. thanks for the advice, i was going to sell it, but forget that now.
Old December 19, 2008, 09:14 PM   #7
BradF

I'm a leftie too and I started out shooting a RH rifle. You'll be fine. Having said that I only own left handed bolt action rifles now. The safety on most RH guns is a pain to operate left handed, plus follow up shots are pretty slow for me shooting a RH gun LH.