The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 16, 2006, 05:55 PM   #1
CyberSEAL

Question about locked threads

I apologize for needing to have this explained to me, however I've been the master admin and moderator on some _very_ busy forums before and I don't understand the "overbearing father" approach that seems to be shared by most of the moderation staff here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=207598

Quote:
I'm going to let this continue but under very close monitoring.
What, in this thread, needs to be closely monitored based on the first two posts? For a forum that is supposed to be about enhancing the rights of Americans, there sure seems to be a shortage of free speech here. There's a lot of unnecessary censorship here, I could point out so many threads that were locked for no apparent reason other than ego.
Old April 16, 2006, 07:17 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

First off, censorship is only done by government. By definition. This is Rich's living room, and it's up to him as to what's acceptable behavior and speech. No different from you in your living room.

Some threads lend themselves to an attitude of "Kill'em all and let God sort'em out." In this particular thread, for a civilian engaged in self defense to use suppressive fire? That can all to easily get into a spray and pray use of one's weapon, endangering non-combatants. To do so is not just stupid, it's illegal. A moderator has to judge by the tone of the writing, which may not necessarily reflect what the writer actually means. We actually have people write stuff like, "Well, I'm gonna do whatever I have to, to survive!" Uh, does that include "suppressing" your neighbor?

Obviously, I'm second-guessing Erick.

It's the Internet. No facial expressions, no body language. Many posters don't really think out, plan out, their thesis. it's easy to misunderstand.

Art
Old April 21, 2006, 04:15 PM   #3
kingudaroad

Quote:
I don't understand the "overbearing father" approach
The tactics and training forum is needing of a "overbearing father" for a bit. If you read Ericks sticky at the top....http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205313

You will see what he is trying to clean up over there. It is already much improved and is probably a temporary thing.

Last edited by kingudaroad; April 21, 2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old May 25, 2006, 06:27 PM   #4
Bullrock

kingudaroad

I was a little disturbed when I read that sticky. I am currently not a tactics or training expert, and if I ever was those skills have been erroded and made obsolete with time.

I haven't been there since and don't intend to post or reply to a post.

I think anyone who has been on TFL for any length of time, and pays attention to what is going on, should get a good feel of what threads are inappropriate and will probably be closed.

After the old padlock has been put on they are fun to read.
Old June 6, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Nicotine

Quote:
A couple of other thoughts … I post under my real name. I have a strong preference for folks who do the same. I end up having to stand by what I put out on the Error Net. If you hide behind some moniker and you are posting asinine things, I am very likely to view you as a clown. I will then treat you with the respect you deserve.
I'm not sure I understand why members should have to use their real names in order for the mods to take them seriously. We all had to list our real names to get approved for the forums, so why does it matter if we use "monikers" to hide our ID from those who don't need it? I would think the staff of this forum would encourage its members to hide their true ID for security reasons.
Old June 6, 2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Wildalaska

Quote:
I would think the staff of this forum would encourage its members to hide their true ID for security reasons.
Somebody watching us???

WildtheyarewatchingmeAlaska
Old June 6, 2006, 02:14 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

When you say
Quote:
We all had to list our real names to get approved for the forums ...
Where and when did you have to list your real name? I don't believe that has ever been a requirement for joining TFL.
Old June 6, 2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Nicotine

Quote:
Where and when did you have to list your real name? I don't believe that has ever been a requirement for joining TFL.
Well, I just tried re-registering and it turns out I was thinking of a different forum. This one does not ask for your name. Sorry.

But it is till not a good idea to list your real name on a site where you will be discussing all the valuable stuff you own. And the fact that you will not be taken seriously by the staff because you refuse to put yourself at risk is hard to believe. I have noticed(and apparently so have others) that this forum is becoming a little more restrictive than it has been. I am concerned that it may be heading the way of the cobray message boards. I can understand some of the problems, but most of what I've seen has been selective. The staff does have a tendancy to threaten the posters when they say something unkosher. In the wake of the large server crash recently, I wonder if this is just a way of selectivly removing threads to free up bandwidth.
Old June 6, 2006, 03:25 PM   #9
tyme
Staff

Not particularly conclusive, but I suggest everyone try to locate a copy of Vernor Vinge's _True Names_ if you really want to think about names and pseudonyms and stuff.

Quote:
I wonder if this is just a way of selectivly removing threads to free up bandwidth.
Nope. The remaining problems on this temp server have nothing to do with bandwidth or storage space.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old June 6, 2006, 03:34 PM   #10
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicotine
And the fact that you will not be taken seriously by the staff because you refuse to put yourself at risk is hard to believe.
C'mon, Nic. That's a distortion of one staff member's view. It hardly constitutes such a blanket statement.

Using one's real name is a good start to gaining credibility on discussion forums, but it isn't the alpha and omega.

-Dave

/Who still uses his handle
//Has his real name in his profile
///Refers to himself in third person sometimes.
////
Old July 30, 2006, 01:09 PM   #11
CyberSEAL

Quote:
Some threads lend themselves to an attitude of "Kill'em all and let God sort'em out." In this particular thread, for a civilian engaged in self defense to use suppressive fire? That can all to easily get into a spray and pray use of one's weapon, endangering non-combatants. To do so is not just stupid, it's illegal. A moderator has to judge by the tone of the writing, which may not necessarily reflect what the writer actually means.
Which is exactly why you should leave the thread open and allow your forum members to educate the poor bastards... See you guys in another month or two.