The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 24, 2002, 12:22 AM   #1
Rmf33

Search question...

Hello,
I have a problem searching..... It seems that if I search with a 'number' say 45 as in 45acp or 'insert firearm model' and the caliber (Colt Z 40 for example) I get "to few words, need 3 words minimum) etc. This is driving me nuts! I'm fairly 'puter savvy, but apparently am missing a clue here.
Thanks,
Bob

p.s. I bet it's real simple :-)

“There are two types of people; those that try to get you to do something that you'd rather not, and all others.”

NRA Lifer

TFL Alumnus
Old November 24, 2002, 12:49 AM   #2
Bud Helms

If any of the terms in your search string, except spaces, are less than three characters long, the search engine does that. ".22 lr" returns the message that "lr" is under the minimum. I don't think it rejects numbers that are under three characters either: "22 lr" does not tell me that "22" is too short, but it does tell me that "lr" is under the minimum.

It's also possible to misspell a word in a way that no one has yet. ... Nah!
Old November 24, 2002, 03:21 AM   #3
Rmf33

Hi Sensop,
Here is a typical example of one of my searches; it will not "search"...Taurus model 63 rifle... again I'm not stupid, but apparently I haven't figured the way to do a proper search.
Again I get the usual failure answer.
Arrgh!
Thanks,
Bob

“There are two types of people; those that try to get you to do something that you'd rather not, and all others.”

NRA Lifer

TFL Alumnus
Old November 24, 2002, 04:10 AM   #4
Rmf33

I typed
Taurus model 63 rifle.... as my search criteria.
and this was the response. I'd like to know what I've done wrong.

The search term you specified (63) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
How does one modify the string? I've built and repaired PC's, aircraft, autos, self ;-), ....arrgh!!

NRA Lifer

TFL Alumnus
Old November 24, 2002, 09:40 AM   #5
yankytrash

Rmf,

Use the wildcard character (*) when searching with terms that are less than three characters.

In your example, "Taurus model 63 rifle" should be typed "Taurus model 63* rifle".

Somethin about having to index the search terms makes a heavy dataload on the server when you have to include 2-character terms. Imagine the pain of having to index all the little 2-character terms like 10, 11, 12, 13, as, is, am, no, etc.
Old November 24, 2002, 10:51 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Rmf33 - I trust yankytrash cleared up the problem for you. Just in case it isn't obvious why your search is failing, I think a translation of the error message might help because it appears that might be the cause for the confusion.

"... minimum word length (3)" doesn't mean you need a minimum of 3 words, it means you need words with a minimum of 3 characters. Searching with only 1 word of at least 3 characters in length will work.