The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 9, 2011, 12:48 AM   #1
9ballbilly

Buried with?

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum.
My question is this: Can a person be buried with a handgun that they legally owned?
During my time as a LEO I worked for a very small dept., officers were allowed to forego carrying the dept. issued .357 revolver and use a personally owned firearm on duty as long as it was deemed "reasonable" by the armorer and the officer passed qualification with it. I bought a NIB S&W model 4006 .40cal. for duty carry. I am and will remain the only owner. Obviously I have strong sentimental feelings towards it. Although the rest of my guns will be inherited by my son, I would like to have this one interred with me.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Old November 9, 2011, 01:00 AM   #2
TheGoldenState

Sure, why not?

Call it safe storage.
Old November 9, 2011, 03:10 AM   #3
maestro pistolero

Nice gun. Say, where're you planning on being buried?
Old November 9, 2011, 06:28 AM   #4
icedog88

maestro, that was wrong. Just wrong!
Old November 9, 2011, 06:36 AM   #5
AirForceShooter

no it wasn't

AFS
Old November 9, 2011, 07:19 AM   #6
CowTowner

Well, maybe just a little bit.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old November 9, 2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Sefner

I know of no law preventing a person from being buried with a firearm.
Old November 9, 2011, 08:49 AM   #8
JimPage

I don't know definitively, but I'm willing to bet that you can't do it in NY or MA. In NY your guns must be accounted for at death and turned in or legally transfered within a specific time. (60 days rings a bell, but I won't put any money on that)
Old November 9, 2011, 08:51 AM   #9
JerryM

Do it if you will, but an instant after death what you have with you is of no consequence. Where will you spend eternity?
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:02 AM   #10
youngunz4life

throw in a 24oz can of beer of your choosing too - Thanx!

I hardly ever drink, but the heck with it, bury me with a shotgun, my 357, a bottle of 36yr old sherry cask aged scotch, and a box of stogiesPLEASE, I am dead so do this for me.

PS- Please leave the weapons loaded.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:15 AM   #11
Pahoo

Who said you can't take it with you ???

I've seen it happen once with a rifle and more times with other items. The last one I saw, was for a union electrician and he took a union presentation knife with him. Your feelings, pistol and right. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 9, 2011, 11:18 AM   #12
C0untZer0

Unless you provide for someone to inventory the guns in the casket just seconds before lowering it, and further - that they remain there until the casket is completely covered over with dirt.... Your guns will be stolen.

There are thousands of documented cases where people's valuables go missing from the funeral home, worse even - even cases where corpse's gold fillings are extracted.

What I outlined above doesn't even account for people exhuming the body and stealing the valuables and re-burying the body, which also happpens.

There are cases where cemetary operators exhume bodies, take an expensive casket, throw the body in a pine box, clean the expensive casket up and re-sell it.
Old November 9, 2011, 12:57 PM   #13
youngunz4life

I have to agree w/Count. I wouldn't trust it even if I was dead. My wife prefers cremation, so I might just go in the wind someday and maybe have some ash buried like Grandpa. I put a bunch of his old navy coins dropped right in the dirt when they buried it. As for my other Grandpa, I wouldn't be surprised if the dollar I put in the open casket at the wake disappeared(he used to give me a dollar as a boy). Maybe it is me; I just have wondered sometimes what happened to the dollar...
Old November 9, 2011, 05:28 PM   #14
markj

Give it to yer son, get cremated, have the boy load up a box of ammo using your ashes and some good powder and then a trip to the range hunters do it all the time.
Old November 9, 2011, 05:33 PM   #15
Lee McNelly

ANSWER

Sell or give to a new cadet at one of the academy's
Old November 9, 2011, 07:57 PM   #16
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Nice gun. Say, where're you planning on being buried?
Beat me to it...... shame that a well loved gun would never see the light of day again but to each his own.

I hope I've got several years before I plan on leaving my guns behind, but I hope to be able to give my most loved guns to someone who will cherish them as I have.
Old November 10, 2011, 08:16 AM   #17
Uncle Buck

As far a I am aware, there is no law specifically preventing it. Although I do believe there are a few things that can not be buried, I never heard of a firearm being one.

But you would have to check with the funeral home that will prepare your remains and work out the details (In advance ) with them and your family.

Some caskets now have a lock on them that is broken when the lid is shut and the handled is turned to seal it. It can not be readily opened again.

If you plan of being interred in a Veterans Cemetery, your casket will be placed in to a vault and a slab of concrete will be placed on top, sealing you in for all eternity. At a veterans cemetery, your loved ones usually do not see the casket lowered and buried. (A lot of cemeteries now require the vault.)

Although there have been cases of theft at funeral homes and some cemeteries, these are extremely rare.
Old November 10, 2011, 04:27 PM   #18
orangello

I would want it bagged well to prevent deterioration. Some future archeologist should get a kick out of it.
Old November 10, 2011, 04:42 PM   #19
Pahoo

Being optomistic !!!

Am hard pressed to come up with a gun that I could take with me and pretty much talked myself out of doing so. I've decided to be buried with a good flashlight and Eveready batteries. Ya just never know?? Won't have to worry about anyone stealing it and on top of that, I happen to know the mortician personally and trust him. He's also a bow hunter and in-line shooter. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 10, 2011, 04:47 PM   #20
aarondhgraham

My Poppa always asked,,,

For a fresh pack of cigarettes to be placed in his shirt pocket.

My sister asked which of his lighters he would want,,,
My Aunt piped in with, "Where he's going he won't need a lighter."

I'm with JerryM on this,,,
You won't have any use for anything material.

Better to arrange a home for it beforehand.

But on the other hand,,,
This is the good old US of A,,,
Do what you wanna do if you wanna do it.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 10, 2011, 06:40 PM   #21
geetarman

When you die, EVERYTHING you own is valueless to you.

As much as you like that gun, it won't do a thing for you.

On the other hand, it could be PRICELESS for someone who knows how attached to it you are.

Legalities aside, I would urge you to carefully consider including that gun in your will and ensure it goes to someone who can enjoy it.

I have some nice guns and some are very special. I already know where they are going when I die. I know they will bring a lot of pleasure to someone.

I hope those people in line to inherit these guns can take the time after a session at the range to hoist one and remember me.

In any event, I won't be around to observe. I will leave it at that.

Geetarmen