The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2006, 02:19 PM   #1
CLYDE71

Bad Crimps

Let me start with what equipment I'm using (plus I'm new to this). I have a Dillon 550b, lee dies. Ranier 45acp 230gr Rn bulletts.

I'm just making dummy rounds now,just make sure oal and dia are good.

The problem I'm having is the crimping of the rounds. After I'm done with a round I press on the top of the bullett to see if I can push it down into the shell. About 95% does this

Then I switched to a Pacific Durachrome taper die, and I still have the same problems.

The bulletts when I pull them out will have the endentation on them from the taper.Then I take a measurement of the bullett .451 then i measure the I.D of the shell .450 at the rim of the shell where the crimp is.

I have the Die adjusted to the point where if I turn it down anymore, the die will hit the bullett and push it down.

I used used cleaned R-P shells, dirty (uncleaned)W-W,SPEER,FEDERAL. These are all once fired brass. Plus I lubed the cases with a DRY SILICONE SPRAY #14 by APC. It seemed to make it worse

Do I need to buy Dillon Dies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I need to start shooting again.

Thanks
Old June 17, 2006, 03:48 PM   #2
impact

Do you seat and crimp in two different operations? Most all of my 32 dies sets are RCBS. I don't know much about other die sets but the tapper crimp die from RCBS can put one heck of a crimp on a cartridge. Also get a carbide sizer die. makes life easy.

I wish I could be there to see whats going on. maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck! Yah you need to go shoot your gun
Old June 17, 2006, 04:23 PM   #3
JJB2

did you forget to full lenth resize your cases?? i use lee speed dies and a lee factory crimp die sometimes..... i've never had the problem you seem to having ....
Old June 17, 2006, 04:58 PM   #4
ShuckersFan

How exactly are you adjusting the bullet seating die - how many turns which way, etc...? Are you using the factory crimp die or crimping with the seating die?
Old June 17, 2006, 06:22 PM   #5
JDG

I have loaded thousands of Rainier 230gr rn bullets with lee carbide dies, and never had this problem. If your dies are carbide, don't use any lube. Be sure to only expand the case, until the bullet will set on top, without tipping. Dont over do it. Taper crimp down to .469 to .470. Dont over do it either. I did pitch all of my R-P brass, seating the bullet was way eaiser than any other brand. I also dont care for Aguilla brass, its not as bad as R-P, but its close. Winchester, Magtech, Federal, Speer, have never gave me any problems. Good luck with your loading.
Old June 17, 2006, 07:52 PM   #6
CLYDE71

Quote:
How exactly are you adjusting the bullet seating die - how many turns which way, etc...? Are you using the factory crimp die or crimping with the seating die?
My seating die is adjusted to seat the bullett to the length I need oal, then my crimp die is my fourth and last station. I intially turned the die down until it hit the shell and then gave it a 1/8th of a turn. I kept doing this to the point where it's hitting the bullett itself and pushing it down into the shell,so I back the die out a little and it still does'nt crimp correctly.

I have a very few dummy rounds that are correct w/ seating and crimmping (the seating is perfect every time). Just my last station is driving me nuts

I appreciate all the feedback from everybody,any ideas help.
Old June 17, 2006, 09:11 PM   #7
JJB2

contact lee precision and see if they have any answers .......
Old June 17, 2006, 09:56 PM   #8
JDG

CLYDE71, When you use the factory crimp die, you must back your seating die out so it wont crimp. Back your sizing die out, run a sized case that has been expanded to just except a bullet, up into your sizing die, and hold the handle down. Screw the sizing die down, until it just touches the case, and lock it. Adjust your seating depth with the thumb screw, to the depth you want.(1.250 works for me) Now set your FC die down until it contacts the empty shell holder, and lock it. Adjust the crimp with the thumb screw, until you get about .470-.469 on the case mouth.
Old June 17, 2006, 10:24 PM   #9
Don H

The taper crimp die just removes the flare (or bell) that you put in the case mouth to aid seating; it actually does not hold the bullet and excessive taper crimping will in fact lead to loose bullets. The problem is that you are not resizing the case sufficiently. The sizing die should contact the shellplate. On a progessive press, the die contact with the shellplate may open up when all the stations are filled. After seating a bullet, you should be able to see a slight bulge in the case wall at the base of the bullet; THIS is what prevents bullet setback.
Old June 18, 2006, 08:18 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

First

First try NO crimp; can you push the bullet in?

Once that is no longer possible THEN add crimp.

Oh, you say? How do I get there?

Fatter bullet, tighter sizer.

Bullets, especially lead, can be had in varying diameters (check Penn Bullets).
Sizers can be custom made, or one can simply purchase undersized sizers from LEE or EGW.

Then add crimp.
Old June 18, 2006, 09:53 AM   #11
MADISON

Bad Crimps

I agree. Crimp in a seperate operation.
For 45 ACP you need aTAPER CRIMP DIE. Since Renaire RN have no grove, that makes it manditory.
Before you invest in a Taper Crimp Die, remove the decapping stim from your sizing die. Then adjust the die for the resistance you desire. You have a "jack leg" taper crimp die.
Old June 18, 2006, 11:34 AM   #12
Toney

I picked up some S&W brass that did not resize at all. bullets would almost drop in, even before expanding them. Have seen some cases that if you expanded them enough to start a bullet, you could not crimp them enough to chamber.
I think winchester brass is about the best, the rem stuff seems kinda thin, after expanding a win case the RP cases don't seem to do anything when they run through the expander die.
Try some new brass and try backing off you expanding die, try seating a bullet before you expand the case
Old June 18, 2006, 03:13 PM   #13
BigJakeJ1s

I think you might have too MUCH crimp... The brass casing will spring back a little after crimping, but the bullet won't, so if you squeeze both of them too much during crimping, you can actually have less bullet tension after crimping than you had before.

As others have mentioned, check your bullet tension before crimping. If it is alright, then you're crimping too much; you just want to take out the bell in the mouth the expander put in (so you could seat the bullet). If it is loose before crimping, one of these things is wrong: seater die too large (or not adjusted properly), bullet too small, or expander too large (or not adjusted properly).

Andy
Old June 18, 2006, 05:19 PM   #14
CLYDE71

I would like to thank everybody that replied.Alot of good info. I'm going to check my resizing die,and back out my taper die. Thats what the problem is. My taper die I have is adjusted to far down. So i'm going to try these ideas and let everybody know how it's going.

Thanks
Old June 20, 2006, 07:44 PM   #15
CLYDE71

I found my problem Let me first say that I purchased my Dillon550b off of E-bay.

When I set up my tool head
Old June 20, 2006, 07:55 PM   #16
CLYDE71

I donot know what just happened.

Any ways. When I set up my tool head I put my sizer die in station 1. Well I got an inkling to try to stick a shell up in the die by hand...OMG I could probably put a .50 cal shell in there.

I took the die off the tool head to examine it closer. Theres a #2 stamped on there (powder feed?). So I took the primer punch out(came that way,in #2 die) and started looking for my sizer die. I WAS USING IT AS A CRIMP DIE

So now I reset all the dies on the tool head,adjusted them..and whamo,everything works perfect

The moral to my story is, when ever you buy something used DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING,JUST BECAUSE THERE'S A PRIMER PUNCH ON A DIE,DOESN'T MEAN IT'S THE RESIZER

So now I'm happy and I can start reloading and shooting again
Old June 20, 2006, 07:56 PM   #17
CLYDE71

One more thing. Thanks to everybody for your help. It was greatly appreciated

Happy shootin