The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2012, 02:00 AM   #26
dacaur

only some. 40 S&W glocks are notorious for it, but a few others do it too. You will also get bulged cases from oversized chambers in any caliber...
Old March 31, 2012, 08:48 AM   #27
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by varminter
Nuff Said.
I wonder, has that ever ended a discussion on any forum?
Old March 31, 2012, 11:12 AM   #28
David Bachelder

A lawyer once told me "we eat hold harmless agreements for lunch".
Old March 31, 2012, 11:42 AM   #29
Jim243

Quote:
In my opinion, reloading an ironed out bulged case is just asking for trouble.

Any thoughts?

Here's where all the Glock fans will jump on me. Don't use a Glock with an unsupported chamber, that means all you with Gen 1, 2, and 3 glocks. Or a least don't use reloads in them. All other supported chambers will do fine, including the Wolf Barrels that replace Glock barrels in Glocks.

Ahhhhh, this burns my butt that after all these years and posts, some think that a thin wall pistol case will contain the preasure of a round going off. It's not the case but the chamber of your gun that contains the preasure. If the case has been over used and abused it will fail even with a good chamber and yes you will have a big problem.

So here's an idea, 1) Don't over use a reloaded case, check them each time you resize them and make sure the walls have not been compormised. 2) Don't make P+ rounds out of bulged cases. 3) All resized cases will be work hardened from resizing and more resizing, so use your brain when reloading anything.

Since I use range pickup brass, I have no idea what gun was used to shot it nor how many times it has or has not been reloaded. And since that is the case (pun intended), I bulge bust all my 40 S&W and 45 ACP cases.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882...s-and-w-45-acp

Is it safe, YES but use your head and check your brass when reloading.
Jim
Old March 31, 2012, 11:47 AM   #30
Gunplummer

This is why I never bought reloaded ammo of any type from Gun shows or anyone , for that matter. With all the weird stuff I picked up over the years I have quite a background in "Making" a certain type of brass from another. One thing I always did was split the brass length wise and really checked wall thickness, head length, and everything else that could be affected. I never made "New" type of brass from used cases because of the thinned out areas. If you want to go your own way, have at it, but don't influence novice reloaders to ignore safe practices.
Old March 31, 2012, 12:03 PM   #31
NWPilgrim

Opinions to the contrary, I have shot many thousands of reloaded .40 cases through my Gen2/3 Glocks without needing a bulge buster die or with any case failures other than the eventual case mouth split.

I also only load to the mid-range as I do with all cartridges. Common sense is better than opinions. Sure, if you want to push the envelop on pressure and velocity then take every other precaution. Or, if you don't want to reload Glocked cases then it leaves that much for those of us that do.

If I wanted to hoard .40 brass I would warn people not to shoot "bulged" cases!
Old March 31, 2012, 04:30 PM   #32
3kgt2nv

Quote:
You have a stock barrel? How hot are you loading these? Certainly not to 35K psi, 20 times..... right? Either that, or you need to buy a lottery ticket
why load to maximum if im just target shooting with it. I use the same barrel my gen 3 model 23 and 27 came with.

i use a low to mid range power load and i can shoot all day with no issues with ftf fte case failure or any others.