The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Longfoot

Choice of primers

What company do you guys prefer for primers? and why?

I've always used CCI, and I don't know why. At the same time, I don't know why I would switch.
Old April 6, 2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Yoosta B. Blue

I haven't been at this long, but all that I have ever bought have been CCI. However, I recently traded some powder for a bunch of primers that included some Winchester, some CCI, and one that I'd never heard of -- Alcan. No problems with any of them that I've loaded thus far. If I were buying more primers, I'd get either CCI or Winchester since the instructions that came with my Lee Auto-Prime seem to tout those two to the exclusion of others...

Yoosta B. Blue
Old April 6, 2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Sevens

Over the years, I've used mostly CCI, with some Winchester and a few Federal sprinkled in. I've never tried Remington, but I would be happy to if the price were the best.

Where I'm not sure yet is whether I'd buy Wolf or some other new or unproven brand to save a little dough. I only ever buy primers a thousand or more at a time, and that would be a large number if it turned out something other than the "big four" were crappy. IMO, a bad primer is a big, BIG problem. Not because I rely on handloads to stop crack-crazed felons or Grizzly bears who think I'm a pic-a-nic basket, but because pulling assembled rounds to break down ammo with bad primers is a major PITA.

I've heard of Alcan primers, but I believe they are from days long gone by. Likely still good if they were stored properly, but I don't think you'll see many of them for sale.
Old April 6, 2008, 08:40 PM   #4
TexasSeaRay

Winchester, primarily. I like the Remington Bench Rest small rifle primers for my .223 loads.

I used to use CCI exclusively for my large rifle rounds, but the last two times out, I've had a total of five misfires with CCI primers. This is five misfires in two shooting outings within a week of each other--with two separate guns.

I've never had that happen with Winchester primers. Ever.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old April 6, 2008, 08:57 PM   #5
otasan

My Choices

For my G17 - WSPR

For .38 Special - Fed 100

For .357 Magnum - Fed 100

For .45 ACP (in my autoloaders) WLPR

For .44 Magnum - Fed150 and Fed155

I refrain from CCI due to their hardness and somewhat excess diameter.

I have used Remington primers in the past for my .45 autoloaders with no problems.

I am stocking up on primers and powder. I cast my own pistol bullets and get all the 1F brass I need and much more.
Old April 6, 2008, 08:58 PM   #6
mrawesome22

TexasSeaRay, I recently bought 1000 CCI SRM primers to feed my 454Casull. The first 40 rounds I loaded... 2 complete duds.

(Read like Bill Shatner) "I'm... relatively newish. To reloading., ...but my God". I've shot thousands of Winchester so far without one hiccup.

I did buy 100 CCI LR to try and found no duds in that package but needless to say my confidence in CCI primers is shattered forever.

Anybody in the SE Ohio area wanna pick up 960 CCI SRM primers on the cheap? Afore mentioned problems will be forwarded to potential buyer! :barf:
Old April 6, 2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Sevens

I would absolutely take those primers off your hands "on the cheap" but given the $3+ a gallon gas, I can't see any possible way to get them from you unless I happen to be somewhere a little closer to SE Ohio at some point this summer. Certainly wouldn't be cost effective to drive anywhere for a cheap deal on less than 1,000 primers!
Old April 6, 2008, 09:25 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Well if you're ever gonna be down this way Sevens, let me know and maybe I'll just have to give 'em to a good home.

Last edited by mrawesome22; April 6, 2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old April 6, 2008, 10:02 PM   #9
CPTMurdoc30

I am turning towards Remington for my 223 I use mainly CCI primers. Never used Federal but have used remmy, winchester and CCI. Had good resultes with all of them.
Old April 6, 2008, 11:46 PM   #10
Boots'56

Magtech gets my vote. Small pistol runs around $18/1000 (last week anyway) here in PDX....
Old April 6, 2008, 11:56 PM   #11
btefft

So far, only CCI. I just look fro the best deal

Saturday I bought 1,000 small pistol and 1,000 large pistol CCIs for $66 - total.

I checked Midway, but the same order would have cost me about $80 (hazardous cargo charge jacked it up).

Hack
Old April 7, 2008, 12:11 AM   #12
DEDON45

I've just got a bunch of Magtech large pistol primers... anyone use these in .44Mag loads? I know they work fine in .45acp.
Old April 7, 2008, 06:35 AM   #13
MaineColt

I've used CCI, Winchester, and Federal.

Can't tell any difference.

Kev
Old April 7, 2008, 06:45 AM   #14
ryalred

I've been using Winchester for everything except my .257 Wby magnum. I use Federal Magnum Match primers for it. I started with Winchester Magnum primers even for it and I can't really tell that much difference between the Winchester and Federal Match primers. I might go back to Winchester Magnum primers for it. The Winchesters have been very consistent and I'm getting good, tight groups.
Old April 7, 2008, 04:06 PM   #15
Jim Thompson

I used to use CCI. After buying Dillon presses, I was advised by Dillon not to use CCI. They don't function as well in their presses. They like the uniformity of Winchester, Remington and Federal. I continue to use up my CCI primers and haven't had that much problem with CCI, but will probably not get them again after my supply is exhausted.
Old April 7, 2008, 05:47 PM   #16
VaFisher

I've been using Winchester for everything mostly to keep it simple. I have nothing but good to say about the Winchester primer's as they have all performed like the should for me. I have heard lot's about how soft and hard some of them are which was part of the reason for chosing them in the first place.
Old April 7, 2008, 06:48 PM   #17
Big Caliber

Been using Winchester primers for 9mm to .308...Like 'em a lot. I'm gonna try some Fed 210match for the 308 to see if there is any accuracy improvement over the WLR's.
Old April 7, 2008, 07:07 PM   #18
BigJimP

Ive used CCI on my handgun loads for well over 30 years - and I've never had a problem - on 9mm, .40, .45 acp, .38 spl, . 357 mag and .44 mag. What little bit of rifle reloading I did over the years - don't do any of it these days - but I used CCI primers there as well.

I could not find CCI primers for my pistols for awhile - so I went with a few Winchester and a few Remington - and they were both fine. The only primer I will not use is Federal - because they are very soft - and unless you're really carful, they might detonate in a press - so I don't trust them.

In my shotguns - I use primarily Remington 209 primers. I had a pile of misfires with Winchester 209's so I got rid of all of the Winchester 209 primers. I've used some CCI and they were fine - and some Chedite ( which was a mess ) because they are a little oversized and taperd and it just was an aggravation getting them to seat properly. Remington 209 primers are my primary shotgun primers for 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410. Keeps it real simple.
Old April 16, 2008, 02:00 PM   #19
ForneyRider

I've had the anvil fall out of some CCI primers that are 20+ years old. But buy CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington.

I buy what's in stock, then whatever's cheaper. Started trying to only buy Federal, but they were sparse last couple times I was shopping.
Old April 16, 2008, 03:40 PM   #20
firewrench044

CCI #34 in 30-06, 308, 303, 7.62X54R and 7.92X57

CCI #41 in 223

Win in 30cal. carbine ( my carbine does not like the CCI #41 harder cups )

Large and small pistol is also CCI

I have used many thousands of primers and the only problem I had was with the 30 Cal. carbine, it does not like the CCI #41 harder cups
Old April 16, 2008, 04:38 PM   #21
ryalred

I primarily use Winchester primers. They have been very consistent for me.

I do, however, use Federal Match Magnum primers for my .257 Wby Mag. The cases are so expensive for the .257 Wby that I thought I'd just as well use a more expensive primer. The groups are very tight I might add.
Old April 16, 2008, 10:09 PM   #22
DBotkin

I grew up using all Remington primers, nothing else. I've used some CCI, Winchester and Federal. I use all Federal for my .357 Mag, because I have a Model 28 that has a light spring and I was getting misfires with CCI. For the rifles it's mostly Winchester, and mostly due to availability & price. I do have a couple thousand Remington 7-1/2, though.
Old April 16, 2008, 10:39 PM   #23
zxcvbob

I like Federals best, but I bought a few thousand Wolf primers and they have really been good and they are $10 per thousand cheaper. My least favorite is Remington 1.5 small pistol primers, because they are too tight to fit in any brass except R-P without crushing them. Unfortunately I bought a bunch of them, and I don't have all that much R-P brass.

I've also had no problems at all with CCI large pistol primers.
Old April 17, 2008, 09:22 AM   #24
BigDog454

NO CCI Small rifle primers for me, had too many misfires. for large pistol and large rifle I've had no problems (except for velocity variation). I now use ONLY Win, or federal Small rifle primers, and will only buy Win, if they are avaliable.
Old April 17, 2008, 11:47 AM   #25
gandog56

I usually use Winchester primers, but if any other kind go on sale.............