The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2015, 08:04 PM   #1
gbclarkson

Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag

I am looking for a way to extend the capacity of a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag. Has anyone done this? Are after-market extension kits available and are they easy to install? Would it be cheaper to buy a cheap defense shotgun?
Old January 5, 2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Doyle

The Ulti-mag was created specifically as a hunting firearm. It has an over-bored barrel. Not much of a call for "tactical" modifications.
Old January 5, 2015, 08:31 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

Here is an extension from Choate, which is known for good products.
Old January 15, 2015, 01:35 AM   #4
bamaranger

Choate

gb.

"Doyle" is right, the 835 is a hunting gun, but "100 striaght" is right too, Choate makes an extension for the 835, in several lengths if I recall, and we have one attached to an 835 camo.

At least until this spring and gobbler season. Let me explain.

About a year or so ago, bamaboy and I began to tinker with a local, outlaw 3 gun league. We had a 24" Moss 835 on hand, and wanting to be a bit more competitive, but not spend a ton of money on new guns, I bought the Choate tube to increase the mag capacity of the Moss. It screwed right on, is near flush with the muzzle, and adds 4 rds to capacity, and brings it up to a 9+1 gun with 2.75" shells. Works just fine. We have an auto shotgun now, but I still shoot the Moss in big bore division now and again. It rattles like a kitchen mixer, but still runs.

Couple of side notes:
-the mag extension will come off for turkey season. Who wants to lug more metal from ridge to ridge? With a Star Dot turkey choke, the 835 will outshoot my cherished 870, and the Moss longer 24" barrel, though a bit more awkward, gives me enough increased sight radius that I can pick the front bead (or sight) up much more clearly than the sights on the stubby 20" rem 870 slug barrel (with turkey choke of course)

-there is an 18.5 slug barrel made for the 835, but it is rare and elusive, but they are out there

-DO NOT shoot slugs from the standard 835 "overbored" 24" and 28" tubes
which are essentially 10 gauge in diameter. At best accuracy will be horrendous. At worst you may end up leading or obstructing your bore