The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 16, 2007, 01:33 PM   #1
TheExitCrash

Marlin Camp 9: Need help with Hammer Strut assembly

I field stripped my Camp 9 and along with finding the buffer in pieces (dust actually), I found the hammer strut, strut bridge and spring laying loose. I have NO IDEA how to reassemble. It was not my intent to dissamble the trigger group. I have a new buffer being shipped, and was going to wait til it arrived to see if it offered any clues. But, if anyone has any insight as to how to reassemble the strut/bridge, PLEASE help!
Old December 16, 2007, 02:31 PM   #2
joneb

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...erModel=082Zz9
I have a Camp .45 and had a buffer fail. Numrich has a improved buffer for the Camp carbines, I replaced the 11 lbs recoil spring with a 16.5 lbs from Wolf.
By strut bridge do you mean the trigger action assembly ?
Old December 16, 2007, 03:27 PM   #3
TheExitCrash

It's actually the small rectangular piece that the hammer strut passes through (#28 on the schematic you referred to). So, you have the hammer strut that has somewhat of a two pronged fork on one end. This presses against a circular depression at the base of the hammer (when installed), and then the spring goes over the strut. The strut bridge then slides over the strut. The strut is, for the most part a rectangular tang of metal approx 2 inches long and an <1/8 wide. So, the strut bridge has a small rectangular hole that the strut passes through. It seems obvious that the strut bridge serves the dual purpose of holding the otherwise loose end of the strut in place, and also to provide a stop for the spring to compress against. The real mystery is what holds the strut bridge in place. There is no obvious "slot" or any type of stop that would serve this purpose. The only thing that I have been able to assume is that the buffer will actually provide the "stop" for the bridge. But, since I don't have a buffer at the moment, I can't verify.

Thanks iin advance for any help.
Old December 16, 2007, 04:28 PM   #4
joneb

Does your strut bridge look like this http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...ductSKU=723720 ?
I'm guessin one or both of tabs on the strut bridge sheared off.
Unlocked 010.jpg This part failed in my Camp .45 abut 8-10 yrs ago I made my own replacement from saw blade steel and thousands of rounds later all is still well.
Old December 16, 2007, 04:42 PM   #5
TheExitCrash

That appears to be the problem. I looked at my bridge and the tabs have been sheared. Not having seen this part before, I had no idea they were supposed to be there.

You are a life saver, jibjab.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old December 16, 2007, 05:10 PM   #6
joneb

Your welcome, I'm glad I could help
Old July 5, 2010, 09:20 AM   #7
Tim_the_Bald

Marlin Model 9 Hammer Strut Bridge

I am not happy with the Marlin Model 9 and find it a cheap poorly designed weapon.

The problem with the buffers shattering is well documented elsewhere. I changed the buffer and recoil spring and put a folding stock on it, intending to use it as a backup carbine to my Ruger Mini 14.

Yesterday I took the wife out to learn how to shoot it. She put quite a few rounds through it, then it stopped working. I took it home and disassembled it to find that the hammer strut bridge had broke.

I had previously lost one of these when cleaning the weapon; one side of the receiver had opened up a little and the bridge was shot out into oblivion.

It took me at least 2 hours of frustrating effort to force the new assembly into the proper place on the weapon, even using a work bench and clamps. One time the hammer strut bridge was shot once again into oblivion. At this time I swiched to a nickel one that I had previously obtained from Numrich and I hope it holds out better than the regular ones. Then another hour to get the weapon back together, for some reason the front pin holes did not align properly.
The fact that this weapon is not manufactured or sold anymore speaks for itself. Marlin does not even sell all the parts to it anymore. I will look into purchasing a more robust carbine, perhaps the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 9MM SW59 Grip which would take the same high capacity magazines as the Marlin.
Old July 5, 2010, 10:17 AM   #8
m.p.driver

When the .45 Camp came out i thought i just had to have one.After two months i traded it off,jamming up problems and trigger problems doomed any chance of me keeping it.