The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 10, 2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Accurizing Your Inline Rifle

Curious. I wonder. Has anyone tried to glass bed a inline style of rifle?

2. If so who's brand of rifle/model did you do it too?

3. Any tricks of the trade you could share?

4. When completed was there an improvement in its overall accuracy seen?

5. Are there any Web Links available for this type of job concerning B/P rifles?

I'd appreciate any comments concerning this subject. Perhaps its been done. Maybe not. Its never to late to learn.

S/S
Old June 11, 2013, 12:32 AM   #2
BirchOrr

In reality...

... this is not really needed in modern in-lines. The stocks (composite) fit so well, along with the limb-saver recoil pads, (step up to) a "bone-collector" rifle with recoil stock, this is already done. Ya get what ya pay for.

Anymore, I'm darn careful what I say here as so many "regulars" despise in-lines or anything designed after 1899. This is unfortunate as everything has it's place.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old June 11, 2013, 06:35 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

As with any other firearm, it's consistency. Stable stock (synthetic and not affected by humidity), consistent tightening of action to stock, same powder charge, same cap, weighed bullets and same sabots.
Old June 11, 2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Well see > I learned something again. I didn't know the job of bedding isn't needed on a composite stocked B/P rifle. As the manufactures and the way they make things these days (quick) I thought there may have been a difference between a modern rifles stock and a B/P composite one in their mold materials or processes. Where they may have been again prone to humidity or temperature changes. I've been wondering for awhile why no one has brought up this subject here. Now I know why no one bothered too._

S/S
Old June 11, 2013, 07:57 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sure_Shot - do inlines come with wood or synthetic? Never examined them myself.
Old June 11, 2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Pahoo

Keeping on the Sunny-Side !!

Quote:
Anymore, I'm darn careful what I say here as so many "regulars" despise in-lines or anything designed after 1899. This is unfortunate as everything has it's place.
No need to do that as this emotion is wasted on in-lines. Even though they don't touch my heart as my SideLocks do, they do have a place and following, in our forum. ....
At this time, I can honestly say that I do not know how many SideLocks I own. No matter as there is always room for one more. In fact, I have my eye on two. ...

Currently, I am down to one In-Line, synthetic, thumbhole stock and 4 X illuminated reticle scope. I'm am very satisfied with it's performance, as is. ..

Quote:
Sure_Shot - do inlines come with wood or synthetic? Never examined them myself.
They come both ways and there are more than you can shake a stick at. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old June 11, 2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

"Never examined them myself." well I'll be a Monkeys Uncle if that's the case.

Good thing you haven't 4V50 Gary. The manufactures claim they shoot and fit the shoulder so well. Even us Traditionalists quite possibly would turn our head these days for a little sneak-a-peek. And perhaps be persuaded to shoulder one in the dark of night. Their that nice now. I'm pretty sure I would rather not own one personally. {I wouldn't mine buying one for my wife'ee though. I think she'd look good carrying around one of them there Omega real stainless steel ones} We'll see._

Here I thought you were still sleeping Pahoo. I know how you guys down there in corn country like to sleep in._

S/S

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; June 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old June 12, 2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Pahoo

Haze Gray and underway !!!

Quote:
Here I thought you were still sleeping Pahoo. I know how you guys down there in corn country like to sleep in._
What are you talking about, man !! ..
I'll have you know that every morning, I get up at the crack of 0800 hrs. ..

Now, for my Texas Brothers; that's 8:00 AM
For my Wisconsin Brothers; The big hand is on 12 and the little hand, on 8.

Be Safe !!!
Old June 12, 2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Wild Bill Bucks

I've owned several in-lines, and have found that most of them will shoot pretty well right out of the box. I have had two rifles that required a little bore polish to get the riflings smoothed down. If you are buying a new rifle, the filings will still be on the riflings from where they were cut, and if you use a bore scope, the riflings will look like a hack saw blade. I always run a dry cotton ball down the barrel and look through it to see if I can see pieces of cotton all up and down the barrel.
Most of these will smooth out after 50 or 60 rounds with a conical bullet, but if you start out shooting sabots, it will take forever to smooth them down, so I find it easier to do a little bore polishing with a fine polishing cream, before I go to the range to sight in. About 50 strokes, counting in & out as 1 stroke, will generally do the trick, and it will make your groups a lot tighter right off the bat. Everything else is just consistency in loading, and bullet & sabot combo until you get what you want.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:42 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Wild Bill Bucks: The two rifles you found to have rough rifling. Were they made in this country or imports? Reason to ask. I would hope this country's manufactures would catch that type of defect with their quality control inspectors. Over seas I'm not so sure.
Even so your knowledge of fine tuning a rifles accuracy. Starting first with perhaps its bores roughness is indeed appreciated._

S/s
Old June 13, 2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Pahoo

Read your patches and Sbots

Quote:
If you are buying a new rifle, the filings will still be on the riflings from where they were cut, and if you use a bore scope, the riflings will look like a hack saw blade.
I have seen this and usually my first indication, is when I run a cleaning patch down the bore. On new rifles, I always read the patch or sabot. You will clearly see cuts as oppose to burning. I then run a patched round ball up and down the bore to smooth out. Most times, I just shoot and keep reading the patch. .....

Quote:
Were they made in this country or imports?
Will not single them out but have only seen this on imports and it is not a big problem. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old June 13, 2013, 11:01 AM   #12
Wild Bill Bucks

Sure Shot,
One was a Thompson encore and the other was a Savage MLII. I wouldn't call them defects as much as I would say the clean up wasn't very good when the riflings were put in.

Wouldn't take for either rifle, as both shoot extremely well.
Old June 13, 2013, 03:32 PM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

That surprises me Wild Bill Bucks. But I suppose it can happen to any manufacture (one or two slip by)
Old June 15, 2013, 09:40 PM   #14
n5lyc

One or two slipping by..

I started shooting bp revolvers in the late 70's, and introduced a friend of mine to it, he thought it was fun. He is a "name brand" kind of guy. After he bought a uberti (at my urging) since i knew he is all about fit and finish, after he decided he was hooked, he bought a Colt by name reissue black powder 1860 revolver.

We went out and shot it, and could not keep a hand sized pattern (to big to be called a group) at 15 yds.

After 3 cylinders, I took it apart to clean it, ran a patch through the barrel and it was smooth, no rifling, it missed that process.

I showed him the "problem" he was ecstatic.

We gave it a through cleaning, and to this day, it still sits on his mantle in a glass lid display case.

He bought another to shoot, and he has been offered quite a lot of money for the smooth bore 1860.
But he refuses to sell it.

(Since he has never married, has no kids, I told him he better leave it to me in his will since I am the reason he started down the black powder path.)

How it missed the QC, I don't know, but it does show, ANY manufacturer can miss something...