The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2013, 09:22 PM   #1
robert1811

Smith and Wesson MP40C Mag Release switch

After I switch the release button to the left hand side the mag will not eject freely when the slid is locked back, however I can remove it by hand. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?!
Old March 28, 2013, 10:01 PM   #2
robert1811

I just changed it back over to right hand side and it works just fine. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be going on with this??
Old March 29, 2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Dodge DeBoulet

Does it come out freely when the slide is forward/in battery? How about when the slide is removed? If the answer is no, then there's obviously something on the mag release that's rubbing or hung up against the mag, and with the slide out of the way, a bright light through the grip might reveal what it is.
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
- Charles Austin Beard
Old March 29, 2013, 12:04 PM   #4
robert1811

The mag will come out when the slide is forward. No it will not come out freely when the slide off or is locked back.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem or what a solution might be? i tried it with both mags. Would it have something to do with the slide release? I looked at the gun with the slide off and the slide release springs downward onto the top of the mag. But the mag hardly goes anywhere.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:35 PM   #5
robert1811

Mag comes out no problem when loaded. No surprise there. Smith says to contact them and send it back. They say its the mag follower. I think its bs. i bought the gun new. Never fired. If I bought new mags would i have to send those back as well?
Old March 30, 2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Dodge DeBoulet

Whether you think it's BS or not, send it back. They'll fix it. And they'll probably toss in an extra mag for your trouble (worth it, as difficult as it is to find mags today).
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
- Charles Austin Beard
Old April 1, 2013, 07:35 PM   #7
robert1811

Theyre sending me free followers..... Ive had a gun stolen while in transit in past. Im not sending my gun anywhere
Old April 1, 2013, 07:39 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
Ive had a gun stolen while in transit in past. Im not sending my gun anywhere
Well, with that mentality I'm not sure what can be done. Maybe find a S&W armorer who lives close?
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 2, 2013, 02:35 AM   #9
Dodge DeBoulet

Smith and Wesson MP40C Mag Release switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert1811 View Post
Theyre sending me free followers..... Ive had a gun stolen while in transit in past. Im not sending my gun anywhere
Good luck with that.