The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2013, 12:11 PM   #26
TunnelRat

Lots of good choices. Pick what feels best to you, shoot it first if you can.

As for the SIG escapades going on here. I like SIGs. I do think some of their new pricing schemes are a bit crazy. That said, buy a used SIG. Save money, still get an awesome firearm.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 22, 2013, 12:11 PM   #27
BigJimP

On a budget....I would certainly tell you to look at the Sig offerings ...for a very well built, solid gun....( model 220's in .45 acp / but don't overlook the offerings in the Sig 226 line as well which is their full size gun available in 9mm, .40S&W and .357 Sig)..../ its my opinion that a Sig is worth the money.

There are also a couple of 1911's under $1,000 that are probably worth looking at ....the new offerings from Colt ....and some of the models from Springfield. In the newer guns from Colt...they seem to be making very good guns lately / and I'm not particularly a Colt fan in terms of their older 1911's unless you get into the older Gold Cup models.

But don't overlook the used market either...
Old February 22, 2013, 03:52 PM   #28
dgludwig

A Smith Model 4506, or one of its many variants, comes to mind when I consider what constitutes a durable, well-made, affordable .45 auto pistol.

To the question of whether SIG and/or HK pistols are over-priced, though I currently own an HK USP 40 and three SIGs and would never part with any of them; yeah, I think that they are a mite pricey for what you get. I mean, when I compare the fine finish and workmanship of these pistols with, say, a Beretta Model 92, I fail to see a significant difference in quality. Certainly not hundreds of retail dollars difference. I certainly agree with the notion that you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can pay more for what you get.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:13 PM   #29
Gaerek

There's nothing wrong with Sigs, but I wouldn't recommend a 2022 right now. They only come with one mag, and with the panic the way it is, it's going to be either a) difficult/near impossible to get more at a decent price, b) they're going to be spendy. Compared to other companies, Sig mags are pretty pricey. When they have them, the 2022 mags cost $44 from Sig, and I haven't seen them recently at any of my LGS for less than $54. Online, I've seen people asking (and getting) close to $100 for them. Luckily I bought my wife a couple pre-panic for $42 or so a piece.

If you're ok with one mag for the time being, the 2022 is a good gun for a good price. But if you want more than one mag, I'd look elsewhere.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:06 AM   #30
platform

Quote:
as long as its durable and reliable and has better ergonomics than a glock. so what do you all think?
Ergonomics depends on the thickness and length of your fingers, and the thickness/size of your palm.

If you cannot hold a potential purchase -- get the ones with replaceable grips or back straps.

Ergonomics also relates to muscle memory -- if you have muscle memory to flip the safety switch down -- go with FNX, any 1911 , any 2011 or anything else that has safety flip down

As far as reliability -- you will have hard time finding a pistol with a price 300 and above -- that is not reliable.

As far as caliber -- depends on how concealable the firearm must be, how much 'energy' you must carry as a minimum in the grip, and how well you can control follow up shots after recoil.

Plus as a true firearms enthusiast -- you need to have several pistols each representing their 'cult' following
one 1911, one CZ, one SIG, one hi-power , and one of the plastic wonders (FNX or XD or PPQ or PX4 )
Old February 23, 2013, 12:37 AM   #31
Karrill

Gaerek, I dont agree with your take on the 2022... at all.

Its a great gun, and magazines are certainly available. I just bought 3 magazines from CTD, for 37 apiece. Theyre 17rd capacity (2 more than factory), and made my MecGar (who also makes the factory standard 15rd mags for SIG, so its not necessarily a drop in quality )

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-MCGSP917AFC

in stock as of time of this post, and has been for the previous 2 or 3 days.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:37 AM   #32
BuckRub

I would go with a full sized Glock in 40 or 9MM.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:52 AM   #33
Sheriff Gotcha

As soon as you said car camp gun and hiking I immediately thought of a Glock 20 which is in 10mm. If you get a Gen 4 then I believe the "ergonomics argument" goes out the window with the changeable back straps.

Just a suggestion.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:00 AM   #34
BuckRub

The 10 MM is very expensive to shoot- that is if you could even find some ammo.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:44 PM   #35
Pilot

I would lean towards the 9MM just for ammo cost, and ease of shooting at first. As others have said the CZ-75 variants are excellent including the 75B, SP-01, and the more carry friendly 75D PCR, P-01, and polymer Phantom and P-07.

Look at the Beretta 92 series also. Several full size and compacts to choose from. Nothing wrong with HK's, Sigs, but you'll pay a bit more, and then there is the ubiquitous Glock 17 and 19.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:28 PM   #36
jbrown27

For your price range I would look at a Sig 226, Sig 229, Sig 220 for the top end of your range or you can look at at half your price range and get all the features of the high end sigs and get the sp2022. This gun is a sig polymer and I feel is the most gun for the money of any gun available. I personally have a 2022 and it is my favorite gun to shoot. I would love to own a 226 or the others I mentioned but at half the price the 2022 is just amazing.
Tri Star T-120 Taurus TCP 738
Old February 24, 2013, 12:08 AM   #37
wpsdlrg

I'll put in a recommendation for a Smith and Wesson 3rd generation 9mm, whichever model you'd like. My personal favorites are the 6904/6906, 3913 and CS9. Terrific pistols, wonderfully well made.

Police trade-ins Smith 3rd Gens can usually be had for quite modest prices. The 3913 and CS9 are harder to find and more pricey. My 6904 (just purchased) is a police trade-in, lots of holster wear but mechanically fine. $300, OTD.

If you want durable and reliable.....you can't do much better.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:34 AM   #38
blackamos

after you buy a few semi's you will one day ask yourself "Why does everyone buy Glock's". You will see a deal at a local gun shop and think " Well I can always sell it and break even if I don't like it" A few months and a few hundred rounds later you will be back at your local gun shop buying your next Glock and that is how they get you.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:12 AM   #39
BuckRub

That, and they are Great guns. (Glock)!
Old February 24, 2013, 01:42 AM   #40
ClydeFrog

Smart buys...

I'm a bit confused by the text in your post, are you saying; no Glocks?
In general, I'd buy a LE trade-in or brand new 92FS or a M9a1 type Beretta or maybe the .40 model; 96 or 96a1. There are a lot of after market parts, holsters, gear, etc for the M9/92FS.
You could buy a .40 model 96 & get a spare stainless .357sig barrel then get a after market .22LR kit(slide springs, magazine) to target shoot or plink.
SIG Sauer has the same system with the well made P229R DAK(DA only). You can pack a .40 or .357sig(with added barrel) then convert it to a .22LR.
See; www.sigsauer.com .
For hiking or outdoors use(s) you may want to review a S&W Governor revolver. It could do well for snakes, small game, boars(wild pigs), etc.

Clyde