The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 2, 2000, 10:11 PM   #1
FM451

I am considering buying a Michael's of Oregon "Super Belt Slide" holster. Has anyone had any experience with this holster, either cordura or nytek? Or, with the "Side Bet" belt slide holster?

Just trying to get some feedback - do these holsters give good value for the price paid, or are they junk?

Any opinions re the "Sidekick Professional" line of products - pocket holster, ankle, IWB?

Appreciate it!
Old February 2, 2000, 10:54 PM   #2
Tecolote

Save your money and get something that will last. I had an Uncle Mikes IWB nylon holster. It lasted about a month of heavy use. Worse yet a buddy had one for a SW 6906. The pistol fell onto the ground as he was getting into his car. Not good. Uncle Mike's holsters are for show and not use. If you want synthetic consider Kydex. Companies like www.sidearmor.com and Mad Dog make excellent holsters. High quality custom holsters at great prices can be had from www.waldonholster.com

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.
Old February 3, 2000, 08:37 AM   #3
Puddle Pirate

They are junk, but they're cheap. If you are just wanting a holster for at the range, or something along those lines go ahead and get it. Just make sure it has a retention strap. ( I hesitate to refer to it as a "thumb break" because I have seen few that would break with just the thumb. ) If you want a holter for carry, you should probably spend the money and get a quality leather or kydex one. They are more secure and will last much longer.

------------------
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

Old February 4, 2000, 12:39 AM   #4
Robert Foote

I have had two or three of these SBS holsters, and they are for only casual,light use--something to use until you buy a real holster. If there are any sharp corners on the pistol like adjustable rear sights they will wear through the material and snag. A good leather holster is expensive but it will outlast your car. Maybe two or three of them.

------------------
Old February 4, 2000, 01:48 AM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Thread moved to Gear and Accessories.

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!
Old February 4, 2000, 07:58 PM   #6
FM451

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Foote:
I have had two or three of these SBS holsters, and they are for only casual,light use--something to use until you buy a real holster. If there are any sharp corners on the pistol like adjustable rear sights they will wear through the material and snag. A good leather holster is expensive but it will outlast your car. Maybe two or three of them.

[/quote]

Thanks for the response. The Super Belt Slide may be the best option for me now, while I save up for a more expensive holster. As you've already owned this kind of holster, I'd appreciate your insight re:
1. Can I reholster with one hand?
2. Does the latest version retention strap ("strap traps")work well?
3. I notice that the belt loops on the SBS are sized for belts up to 2 1/4" wide. I suppose this was so that it would fit on a 2" nylon belt as well as a dress belt. In your experience, did the SBS stay secure on a dress style belt?

Old February 4, 2000, 10:40 PM   #7
Robert Foote

The SBS, being soft nylon, will collapse to some extent when the weapon is drawn--so onehanded reholstering is not possible. The narrower the dress belt the more the holster will move around. The spacing of the belt loops keeps it in place as much as anything. If you get an SBS use it as briefly as possible and get a decent holster asap. IMHO the holster is an integral part of the whole weapons system just as a magazine is. I understand budget considerations, but the truth is that in the long run the money spent on the SBS will essentially be wasted and would have paid for 35-40% of a good holster...

------------------
Old February 4, 2000, 11:26 PM   #8
FM451

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Foote:
The SBS, being soft nylon, will collapse to some extent when the weapon is drawn--so onehanded reholstering is not possible. The narrower the dress belt the more the holster will move around. The spacing of the belt loops keeps it in place as much as anything. If you get an SBS use it as briefly as possible and get a decent holster asap. IMHO the holster is an integral part of the whole weapons system just as a magazine is. I understand budget considerations, but the truth is that in the long run the money spent on the SBS will essentially be wasted and would have paid for 35-40% of a good holster...

[/quote]

Thanks, appreciate your response.