The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
jakeLC

want to reload

i have been thinking of starting to reload, the main problem im encountering is i have no idea on what equipment i need. I dont want to get anything to cheap. I will primarily be reloading handgun loads (9mm 45acp 45 colt .357 mag etc.) i will start off loading the 45 colt more than likely. just hoping somone here can point me in the right direction

Last edited by jakeLC; January 7, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old January 7, 2012, 04:12 PM   #2
3kgt2nv

I know my local gun club has a reloading for beginners class that explains what everything does and has several manufacturers stuff you can hands on to get an idea.

unfortunately most people will suggest what they have because its what they know.

I would recommend a lee or rcbs rock chucker starter package that will take some of the guess work out of what you will need and then expand your gear from there.

everyone likes different gear for different reasons so try to find somewhere you can touch before you buy.

if your near a cabelas store they have a press section set up where you can mess with them and see whats comfortable.

just dont fall into the attitude that reloading will make it cost less to shoot. it doesnt. just makes you able to shoot more
Old January 7, 2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Help us help you

You might want to review this thread also (as it grows). It started today and is virtually the same question as you pose:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474381

How much will you be loading per session?

How much will you be loading per year?

How many different calibers will you want to reload during each session?

How much room do you have to work?

Will you leave the equipment set up even when not in use or will you be putting it away after each session?

What's your budget?

Welcome to reloading and thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep
Old January 7, 2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Xfire68

You don't need to spend a ton of cash when starting out reloading. I have over time spent a pretty penny on equipment but, found that my "Cheaper" less complicated gear works best for me.

A Lee 4 hole Turret press is a fantastic place to start out reloading and it won't break the bank either. It's not as slow as a single stage press and loads top quality ammo. My Hornady LnL AP is fantastic when tuned right but, it cost 4x that of a Lee turret and Lee loads ammo just as good.
Old January 7, 2012, 04:24 PM   #5
chris in va

I wanted to get my feet wet and started with a Hand Press. Thousands of reloads later, I wouldn't want a fixed press after the freedom it offers.

If you're just reloading a couple hundred 45's, something you may want to consider. It also forces you to double and triple check every stage, a very good thing for the new reloader.
Old January 7, 2012, 04:27 PM   #6
jakeLC

Lost sheep,

im not really sure how much i will reload probably around 50 rounds or so per session. i will only load one caliber per session and i have a shop around 500 sq ft. that is currently empty. i will be leaving th equipment set up and i dont know how much all this will cost but i was hoping to get most everything for around $400. hope that helps
Old January 7, 2012, 04:38 PM   #7
3kgt2nv

check out something like this
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/151...ube-pump-spray
Old January 7, 2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Gitsum

I am just getting into handloading myself and got the Lee Classic Turret for Christmas. It came as a kit from Kempfs Gun Shop for $200 and includes pretty much everything I need except a scale. I have just gotten it set up and running. The only things so far that I dont like is the powder that I use (unique) is tough to get accurate loads with and the priming system takes some getting used to. The guys here say to stick with it and I will. Hope this helps and good loading!

Heres a link to Kempfs. check it out!
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

Last edited by Gitsum; January 7, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old January 7, 2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Servant

Being new to this myself, I got all the input your gona get. the first thing is most folks will recommend you read the ABC's to reloading (which I read), but i would recomend Modern Reloading. Just be aware the author will push Lee equipment. The second thing is to not jump into it without reading the threads here and reading that book. You will end up buying things you wont use, or that you could have saved money with the right purchase. Ex. When I bought my dies, I got the three die sets, had I waited I would have bought the 4 die sets. I'm still a green horn, so that's about all I have for you. Press, dies, caliper, tumbler, scale, lube, bullets, primers & powder.
Old January 7, 2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Gitsum

+1............ Hit the books!
Old January 7, 2012, 05:22 PM   #11
primerman

Well if you don't want to get anything to cheap then go out and buy Forester and Redding.
Old January 7, 2012, 06:23 PM   #12
dacaur

I dont think there are any bad presses made currently, the most inexpensive stuff is lee, and its still good quality. I've got a lee deluxe turret, and for handgun cartridges its great. Depending on the kit you get, you will still want to buy extra stuff.... if you want to get started for under $400, Lee is the only way to go. I got the deluxe turret kit for $115, plus the perfect powder measure for $30, 3 sets of dies (about $90 for all 3) plus 3 case trimmer/lock studs, and 3 case length gages, about $25 for all, I like to have the cutter and lock stud for each caliber so I dont have to switch them out. Then you have powder, with the right powder you can reload all 4 of those you listed with the same powder, but all the calibers I reload use different powders, so thats another $100 there.... then you have to buy primers, $3-$5 per hundred, bullets, and brass if you havent been saving yours.....

It adds up fast in the beginning, the $500 I had set aside for it was gone way faster than I expected, but now its not so bad, as long as you replace stuff as you run out, and down wait till you are out of a bunch of suff
Old January 7, 2012, 08:09 PM   #13
mo84

I started out with the single press Hornady Lock-N-Load kit. It came with everything I needed except a bullet puller. If I did it again I would start with a single stage because it is alot easier to figure everything out one step at a time. I want to get the turret press they have, now that I know how everything goes and know exactly how to set everything up. The bushing system in the lock n load is great and you never have to worry about adjustment once its set. Reading as much as you can on here helps alot and asking as many questions as you need helps. Everyone here is willing to answer pretty much anything and the boards usually have people around to answer relitively fast. welcome to this forum and reloading. you will find it is not as complicated as it may seem right now.
Old January 7, 2012, 09:49 PM   #14
dacaur

a turret press isnt any more complicated to figure out than a single stage. You can use a turret press as a single stage if you want. I'm very thankful I started out on a turret. For loading rifle rounds its not that big a deal because I have to take them off to add powder anyway, but for pistol rounds it speeds things up a LOT.
Old January 7, 2012, 09:55 PM   #15
OEF-Vet

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467230

I started with one of these
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/423...nniversary-kit
it comes with everything you need to get started except the dies and possibly a case tumbler/cleaner. I find the bench mount press gives you a good feel for whats going on. It's always best to start with a single stage press. This press uses removable collates that make for quick changing and adjustment of dies, once they are locked into the collate the adjustments stay true with good dies. Additional collates are also sold at midwayusa.com and just about any sporting goods chain store. As your skills and knowledge increase you will learn what to add to your equipment and when you choose to upgrade your press you will still find and make good use of your Lee press. Good luck and I hope you find the same satisfaction in re loading as many of us have.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr
Old January 7, 2012, 10:32 PM   #16
bj426

buy a manual

Buy whatever reloading manual you want....... And read it...... Twice...... If you still want to reload.... Pick a brand and do it.... safely.

Shameless plug: Hornady.
Old January 8, 2012, 08:53 AM   #17
amathis

Once you are done with all your studying and reading, look at Craigslist. When I started I purchased all my equipment for around 200. It included 2 single stage presses, scale, bullet trays, powder drop, 15 different die sets, funnels and a ton of other stuff.

I just looked at craigslist in my area 2 min ago and there was someone liquidating all his stuff for 300.

My whole idea is get into it for cheap and make sure you enjoy it. The last thing you want to do is spend 1000-2000 on some monstrosity of a press only to find you hate doing it.

That said after I spent the 200 it was only a year before I bought my Dillon Progressive.

Tags
handgun , reloading