The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 1, 2002, 06:18 PM   #1
Seeker

John Farnam Training

The school where I have recieved my firearms training, Oregon Firearms Academy is offering a course taught by John Farnam. This course is twice as much as most courses taught at OFA. Could it really be twice the value? The regular instructors seem more than competent (and are instructors at the state police academy).

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old December 1, 2002, 06:37 PM   #2
Charles S

As you can see I do not post much, but I thought I could actually interject some helpful knowledge.

First I have a question. Do your current instructors cover tactics and mind set?

The reason I ask is that Farnam is recognized world wide as one of the premier tacticians in small arm combat.

I have had some formal firearm training. I recently took a course from Bang Inc. with Jerry Miculek as my instructor. I learned and progressed more in one course than in all others together.

The caliber of instruction can be very important.

Good luck,

Charles.

By the way notice my quote at the end it is by Farnam. I respect his tactics enormously.
Old December 2, 2002, 09:28 AM   #3
Dave Williams

Hi Seeker,

I've paid for four (3 for me, 1 for wife) DTI(Farnam) courses in the last 1 1/2 years and I consider it the some of the best money I've ever spent. I would take that course in a heartbeat.

Dave
Old December 2, 2002, 01:31 PM   #4
Penman

John puts on a great class, and regardless of your level of training, it's always enlightening to study with a new instructor. John may have a different way of presenting the material that may help you down the road if you begin to coach others, and he will have information from his many contacts in the industry and law enforcement. Go for it.
Old December 2, 2002, 05:01 PM   #5
Chuck Ames

I've always heard good things about Farnam. Not to say anything bad about the other instructors, but I've known a lot who were good, but not great. The qualifications for an instructor are usually to be a good (better than average shot), though not always, and to pass the instructor's course. The great are few and far between!

Regards,
Chuck
Old December 2, 2002, 07:10 PM   #6
CWL

John Farnham is an expert in pistol, rifle and shotgun tactics, as well as knives.

It wouldn't hurt to cross-train a little.
Old December 4, 2002, 11:03 AM   #7
Bullwinkle

Worth Every Dime!

Read a review of his Basic/Intermediate HG Class that I wrote here. http://frontsightalumni.com/showthre...3?threadid=334

"Sonny, anybody with his gears meshed wants to be free, doesnt matter what sex or age, and freedom always calls for a little hardware."
Lucy Kropotkin
Old December 5, 2002, 05:29 PM   #8
Tim Burke

I'd pay to take a Farnam course just to hear him lecture.