The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2013, 11:04 PM   #1
TINA GO

380 Sigma Magazine assistance

My apology please if this my first post is in the incorrect location but we need some assistance.

Just acquired one of these apparently not very popular handguns. Overall it appears in good condition but the only magazine obtained with it is gunk-ed up and needs to be fully cleaned. For the life of me I am unable to figure out how to disassemble it and have been unable to find any spec sheet on it.

Any assistance with the disassembly of this magazine would be greatly appreciated, Tina
Old February 5, 2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Technosavant

Info on that may be hard to find. The Sigma .380, as you note, really wasn't too popular and I expect instructions on breaking down the magazine will be difficult to come by.

I might recommend contacting S&W for a little help... they may be able to give you some pointers on disassembly.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
carguychris

Many craft stores sell extra-long cotton swabs with wooden handles. I suggest depressing the magazine follower with a non-marring tool such as a wooden or plastic dowel rod, then digging out the crud with swabs soaked in powder solvent.

Another option is non-chlorinated brake cleaner, which is available at auto parts stores and the automotive section of big-box discount stores, usually in a green can. (Do NOT use chlorinated brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner, or fuel injector / throttle body spray cleaners; they are harsher and may attack the plastic follower and base plate!) However, I would try the swabs first. Brake cleaner will be smelly and messy, there may be an issue with the fluid not draining freely from inside the magazine, and the mag body will have to be thoroughly re-oiled afterwards to prevent rusting.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4
TINA GO

Still in need!

thank you very kindly CARGUYCHRIS & TECHNOSAVANT for your swift replies, I am well versed in alternative methods of cleaning but need specifics on disassembly. I have sent 2 requests to S&W but neither have garnered a reply, thanks again....possibly someone out there has at one time taken one of these puppies apart. With appreciation Tina
Old February 5, 2013, 06:13 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINA GO
I have sent 2 requests to S&W but neither have garnered a reply...
Have you tried calling the 1-800 number? I've had much better luck calling rather than emailing. I suggest calling between 9am-4pm EST.

They may send you a free magazine! Due to the relatively poor sales of the pistol, I suspect that SW380 mags are one of the few types that have not all been snapped up in the recent buying frenzy. FWIW S&W has never charged me for anything that would have cost less than about $25.
Old February 5, 2013, 07:43 PM   #6
TINA GO

Great idea and thanks, I will call.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:26 PM   #7
tbone1964

Yea uh.. give this a try

http://stevespages.com/pdf/s&w_sw380.pdf
Old February 6, 2013, 02:38 PM   #8
TINA GO

Tbone1964, thank you but please share with me where exactly in the 40 pages of this manual that is provided with the firearm does it show or explain anything about disassembly/ assembly of the magazine which wour specific concern.

As suggested by CARGUYCHRIS I called S&W and Gary provided me with detailed but cautionary instructions. Mission accomplished and thanks to all, Tina