The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2005, 09:10 PM   #1
Mesa Tactical

Gunsmithy question about Ithaca 37

We are working on a stock adapter for the Ithaca 37. The standard stock bolts into a ferrule that extends out of the back of the receiver. This ferrule is longer on the older Ithacas than on the newer ones.

My question is, can this ferrule be removed easily from the receiver of the gun, say, with a set of channel locks or vise grips? I am wondering whether removal of the ferrule is something we can expect customers to do.

And if the ferrule can be removed, what is the thread specification for the tapped hole into which I assume it screws?
Old January 11, 2005, 10:45 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

It's been a LONG time since I was inside an Ithaca, but I don't think the ferrule comes off AT ALL.

I seem to remember it being made of one piece with the trigger guard.

In this case, I'm going to suggest you contact Ithaca for the straight word on this.
http://www.ithacagun.com/

If the ferrule is staked in place, it's likely not removable.

If it's threaded, it'll be in there TIGHT to prevent stock movement.
I'd bet that removing it will scar up the part, which might not go over to well with a customer who wants to replace the original stock later.
Old January 12, 2005, 12:31 AM   #3
cntryboy1289

Why remove it

Not sure on the thread of the ferrule, but why would you need to remove it? If the longer ferrule is too long, you can shorten the stock bolt for those customers easier than replacing the ferrule.
Old January 12, 2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Mesa Tactical

I'll contact Ithaca for more details, but in my experience the gunmakers are pretty cagey about providing details of their guns to third party companies. Only Mossberg has been very helpful to us in the past.

The reason we want to remove the ferrule is it makes it difficult to design a stock adapter for the Ithaca.
Old January 12, 2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

I did some research this morning.
Unless something has changed within the last few years, the Ithaca "ferrule" is NOT removable.

It's made in one piece with the trigger guard forging, and so is not removable at all.

The older Ithaca Model 37 had a longer stock mounting stud.
In the early 1970's Ithaca got a look at the Model 37's that the Navy Weapons Lab in China Lake had modified for the Navy SEAL's use in Vietnam.

The first higher capacity magazine, pistol grip-only M37 ever built was was for SEAL Chief James Watson.

Ithaca immediately recognized that the longer magazine and either folding or pistol grip-only guns would be sale-able to the police, so they modified their guns to make this possible.

One change was to shorten the stock mounting tube to allow fitting pistol grip-only stocks.
Ithaca had a brand name for a pistol grip-only gun with the barrel cut just in front of the magazine tube, but I can't now remember what it was.

The factory pistol grip had a odd-looking projection on the top to fit the shorter stock mounting tube, as I recall.

Unfortunately for you, the bottom line is, the tube is not removable, and any stock will have to accommodate the tube length.
Old January 12, 2005, 08:32 PM   #6
Mesa Tactical

Thanks, that sounds pretty definitive.

Accomodating the stud will require a radical redesign to the adapter...
Old January 12, 2005, 10:21 PM   #7
gordo b.

The gun's name was the "stake-out" , it had a 14" barrel . It also has a 'loop' of nylon strap on integral hand stop loops on a black stained Walnut 'rattail' I have an example of the very last run of "stakeouts" in 20gauge made with the Ultralight aluminum frame. Although I can't own a 14" AOW barrel in Ca., I put a 18.5 DeerslayerRS barrel on it and a correct 20ga (they have different frame size than 12 gauge) walnut stock cut to 12.5" with a pad. Made this up for the wife (sure! ) and it weighs 5 pounds 2 oz.