The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 12:13 PM   #26
jmortimer

The reason I went with lightweight .357s was for added strength even though I consider it to be a .38 Special. Latest is the LCR .357 which is really nice .38 Special at 17 ounces.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:41 PM   #27
jc650

I have a lightweight .357, the Smith MP340 comes in around 12 ounces. I can shoot +P 38's with no discomfort at all. I guess Im not recoil sensitive. That said I dont really plan on carrying it with .357 rounds. Im accurate with the gun to 25 feet and dont really practice at much further distances with it. I can hit a target at 25 yards but I dont think thats what the gun is designed for. I would not get a ported barrel either.
Old February 9, 2013, 03:45 PM   #28
joegator

The only guy I know that owned on shot it once and sold it. The better +p ammo works fine in a snubby. I use DPX. If you want a compact .357 go for an SP101. It can handle full loads with no problem.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:17 PM   #29
jmortimer

All the guns can handle the loads, its the shooter that con't handle the load. The SP101 is no solution as you get a 27 ounce gun that is still no picnic with .357 ammunition. I had one and got rid of it. With the SP101 you get the worst of both worlds, a fairly heavy gun that shoots best with +P 38 Specials. My 17 ounce LCR does that just fine.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:52 PM   #30
Madcap_Magician

I wish we'd see a return of the Colt D-frame to production... rated to +P. I'm guessing Colt would screw it up somehow, of course, but it would be nice to see. I love my J-frames and LCRs, but the first time I picked up a Detective Special, I KNEW that was the perfect small frame revolver size.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:56 PM   #31
Hook686

Different strokes for different folks for sure. I have a S&W M&P 340. I load 158 grain JHP to about 990 fps. Buffalo Bore has their 38 SPL +P OUTDOORSMAN - 158 gr. Hard Cast Keith 989 fps in a 1-7/8 J-Frame. Buffalo Bore also has Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. --G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.). Both of these I consider a heavy .38+P, or a light .357 magnum load and rounds I carry in my 340.

I practice with reloads using 7.0 grains of Unique. This is about the maximum I am comfortable shooting. When I carry I have 4 .38+P followed by a 158 grain .357 magnum in the 5th chamber. I do not need to count my shots, as I know when I fired the 5th, and it is time for a reload (NY style).

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 10, 2013, 01:13 AM   #32
Nanuk

I had a 360 PD, 640-1, SP 101, LCR 357. I now have a 640 Pro, best production J frame sized gun made IMHO. I love my lil 640 and carry/shoot it with magnums.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:22 PM   #33
Redhawk5.5+P+

lowercase

Quote:
I have a ported snub. The ports are absolutely the worst feature of the gun.
Really? What gun with what port's

jmortimer

Quote:
All the guns can handle the loads, its the shooter that con't handle the load. The SP101 is no solution as you get a 27 ounce gun that is still no picnic with .357 ammunition. I had one and got rid of it. With the SP101 you get the worst of both worlds, a fairly heavy gun that shoots best with +P 38 Specials. My 17 ounce LCR does that just fine.
I carry my 3" SP101 stock grips in my front pants pocket no problems, and I shot and carry .357s "No problems".
Old February 10, 2013, 05:34 PM   #34
jmortimer

^ No doubt with +P+ as a nom de Firing Line. SP101 3" .357 Not comfortable for me with 500 plus ft lb loads. If I'm going to carry a 27 ounce gun, it would need more rounds for me to justify.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:07 PM   #35
Bulldawg55

Thinking about buying an Airweight 357 mag J-frame

Going with the 357 over the 38 you get the same size gun to gain the option of being able to use two different cartridges. The power gain difference is a lot less than the cost you'll pay in recoil, but the option is there!
I keep Remington 158 grn LSWHP's in my S&W 360sc.
I can shoot full house 357 loads in the SP101 without discomfort.
I'd forget the porting.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:11 AM   #36
freenokia

Thanks for the info guys. I carry a model 38 smith, right now. It was my Grandfather's and I'd HATE for something to happen to it. So I'm considering stashing it in my safety deposit box and replacing my EDC. I love the J-frames and the biggest pro(imo) to the Airlite's is their 11oz weight. I could do without the 357, but since they don't make 11oz revolvers in 38spl(WUWTbtw) I'm looking at the 357.

I've seen some video's of the 11oz 357mag on youtube. Looks VERY jumpy. That's why I inquired about the porting. From my research, porting seems to reduce felt recoil by 20% while only losing a very minimal amount of velocity. Seemed like a good payoff. But those are internet numbers so who knows.

As far as shooting a ported revolver from the pocket, that would introduce different problems than the fireball from the muzzle? Also, is the blindness from a ported snub that much worse than a non ported barrel?

--

As for the SP101, I've been wanting one. Not for pocket carry, though. I love the light weight guns for carry. I'm liking the Ruger(for me) as a backup HD gun[hi-power] that's beginner friendly. I think it has the potential to really shine in that role.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:45 AM   #37
Mike Irwin
Staff

Another concern about porting on these small guns that I've always had is that if they are fired from a high retention position you could end up with a faceful gas, powder, and other debris.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:40 PM   #38
Budda

I have shot the 340 Pd. And two things......one the recoil pulled crimp on the bullets in the chambers and locked it up with full .357 loads........second......if you want know what it is like to shoot.....go out to your car an open the door and place your hand where the door meets the frame and slam it shut as hard as you can.......

I have shot full house .44 mag that felt tame compared to the 340 Pd.

If you had to pull the trigger on a bad guy...you might get two shots off....then you will want to let the bad guy shoot for a while so your hand can regain feeling.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:17 AM   #39
lowercase

Quote:
Really? What gun with what port's
I have a Charter Arms Mag Pug .357 with a ported 2.2" barrel.

I've had the gun spit debris back at my face when shooting. To a large degree, it has been an ammo-dependent issue (certain .357 ammo really spits, most .38 doesn't), and I think the problem was worse when new. Perhaps the underside of the ports wasn't relieved enough, and needed some sort of break in period. I'm not an expert on ported guns, so I don't know. Also, to echo Mike Irwin, firing from a high retention position could end up with the shooter getting a face full of burning gas and powder.

Other than that, I like the gun a lot. It's a small, light .357 that carries and shoots well.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:33 AM   #40
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
I've had the gun spit debris back at my face when shooting. To a large degree, it has been an ammo-dependent issue (certain .357 ammo really spits, most .38 doesn't), and I think the problem was worse when new. Perhaps the underside of the ports wasn't relieved enough, and needed some sort of break in period. I'm not an expert on ported guns, so I don't know. Also, to echo Mike Irwin, firing from a high retention position could end up with the shooter getting a face full of burning gas and powder.

I had a Taurus (Shhh, don't tell my mom) .357 608 with a 4" barrel that has similar looking ports (8 instead of your CA's 6) at the same place of the same concept. I'm thinking it's a bullet shaving thing at the cylinder and not the port's. I never shot a snub with port's so it's hard for me to judge.

Glad you like the gun!