The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 14, 2012, 11:04 PM   #1
tahunua001

got the Japanese sisters today

hello all,
I just traded my 1903A4 for a pair of Japanese Arisakas. a type 99(MUM intact) in it's original 7.7 and a type 44(no mum, sadly) in it's original 6.5x50. both rifles are all parts matching with the exception of a mismatched dust cover on the type44 and a mismatched bayonet for the 99 but over all I think that this was a splendid transaction. the guy I traded with is incredibly knowledgeable and hopefully will love his new Springfield as much as I did while I was restoring her.

out of curiosity were the type 44s marked as 44s or were they marked otherwise? they really ground the heck out of it removing the mum.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:13 AM   #2
JT-AR-MG42

Your third variation 44 would be marked ' 4 4 Type ' vertically like the Type 38s.

I have seen ground mums that touched the ' 3 ' on a 38, but have never seen one that removed the entire designation markings.

It is early morning on my eyes, but what is the projection above and directly behind the receiver ring?
Is it an attachment on the bolt?

To the best of my knowledge, the Type 30 bayonets were not numbered to any 99s so it is not a mismatch.

JT

Last edited by JT-AR-MG42; December 15, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:54 AM   #3
tahunua001

that's the bayonet the type99 didn't want to pose for a picture so I had to prop up the top with it. pretty much the whole top has been ground down pretty good. "type" is still there but hit still not very clear. after shining a bright light on it I was able to barely make out the pair of 4s marked vertically, I was looking in the area that they should have gone from on the type 99 so they were easy to miss.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Gunplummer

Sold a couple '44s a while back. Look at the wood on the left side. If it looks worn away really bad in the middle it is from carrying it across the back while riding horse back. I had one that was worn almost to the metal. Should have a cleaning kit in the butt stock too.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:30 PM   #5
tahunua001

it's pretty worn near the bolt release and almost flush with it.
Old December 22, 2012, 10:47 PM   #6
tahunua001

alright well I got the dies in today and hopefully the ammo will be following on Christmas Eve, what an Xmas that will be