The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2001, 04:49 PM   #1
handgun357

I know that birdshot is made in .22 cal., but is it also available in 38sp? Can you reload? If so, what do you need and how do you reload it?
Old February 11, 2001, 05:35 PM   #2
Keith J

Yes, Its availble

CCI loads it in non-reloadable Blazer style cases. They also have the capsules available as a reloading component.

You can also concoct your own using home-made felt wads, 2.7 grs of Bullseye and 120 grains of #9 shot. Seal with a home-made card wad and roll crimp. A drop of primer sealant on the card wad will hep it hold together. You will need to adjust the column with a number of felt/card wads.

I'd like to see someone come up with a die to size .357 Mags to where they will fit into a .38 to make a full-length shotshell. I think 160 grains of shot would be possible.
Old February 11, 2001, 09:16 PM   #3
Hot Core

Speer 38Cal Plastic Shotshell Capsules (#8780)

Hey handgun357, Keith is correct, there are Shotshell Capsules available from Speer for the 38Spc/357Mag and a larger one for the 44Spc/44Mag.

Loads for 5 different powders are available in the Speer Manual. I use WW-231 and good old #7 shot for our Carolina snakes. I'd expect #7 1/2 to work just as good, but I have a stash of the old #7s and they work just fine.

I've no arguments with Keith using the #9 shot, but I just like a bit more energy. Always pretty close by the time I spot one, so the pattern is not an issue.

You will need a Flat Faced Seating Stem to push the Capsule into the case. I've not used a "Tapered" one, but I think the plastic would fracture if you did.

Sure is nice to have the Shot Loads in the first two cylinders and then a couple of serious Loads in the other four. Oh yes, the Capsule protects the bore right well from the shot too.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core
Old February 12, 2001, 01:24 PM   #4
Chris McDermott

Keith J

Talk to CH4D - they make a blank crimping die that would probably do what you want

http://www.ch4d.com/ch4d/Catalog/Page25.htm#C-H Blank Crimping Dies
Old February 12, 2001, 07:55 PM   #5
Big Bunny

Well.......Locally in OZ an SSAA mate loads for a LEO for road-kill disposal with a .357 case in her 2" 38spl issued revolver, leather wads and #6 shot, with a superb and heavy home-made crimp on the shiny cadmium case.
No jams are experienced in unloading after firing.Light recoil.
Sealed with varnish on top wad.

It is designed for injured 'roos when the police are called to a car accident I was told. No richochets and at close range and it does the job better than a HP jacketed- she says.

No record given of barrel leading problems - but must be severe!

So I agree....I'd go for the capsules- if jacketed projectiles are used as "follow ups"...but "score" the capsules on CCI etc first, as they do not always break up properly or consistently IMHO.
I have tested the CCIs [ally non-reloadables] over water and I score all mine now before use . Mine are in 38Spl and fired in a 6" revolver or M94 to allow reasonable shot pattern consistency.

BB
Old February 13, 2001, 01:09 AM   #6
Keith J

Ok, I confess

I've used CCI shotshells in my .45 to dispatch snakes, rats and even a raccoon. The raccoon was in my attic and it took 9 rounds at 25 feet to drop it. Being light in recoil and having a Para-ord in steel made the 8 follow-ups easy, even with one hand. A few pellets missed but stayed in the drywall (good construction as its 5/8", not that thin stuff).

I found out that I can squeeze the same weight (1/3 oz)of #4's in these shells so I want to start reloading for it. This should be much more effective. On the rifling, is it legal to have barrel for a pistol that is rifled at the rate of say, one turn in 100"? Its still rifled, except it wont stabilize anything longer than a ball.

If not, I might have someone make me a smoothbore .45, except I will have to pay the tax, maintain records etc...Might not be worth the worry.

Old February 13, 2001, 10:33 AM   #7
handgun357

I think I'll get some factory loads and some reloading capsules at the next gunshow.
Thank for the info, everyone.
Happy Reloading............
Old February 15, 2001, 05:09 PM   #8
sadie

In the February issue of Handloader magazine there is an article titled, "Handgun Shotshells. How to build effective patterns." The article is about 7 pages long and compares commercial ammo as well as describes handload methods, 38/357 loads included.

Good luck