The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 25, 2014, 08:22 PM   #1
old fart

conceal carry holster??

i have a 4 inch barrel ruger service six, i am going to get my permit soon and untill i can get a smaller gun the ruger will be my carry gun. i have tried to check online but i can't figure anything out with all the models of holsters. i can't afford a lot of money but don't want something that will break in a few times carrying either. i saw a uncle mikes in the waist band holster size 2 for $12-$16 on ebay as the cheapest that look made well. how about some others that ya'll use?, thanks for any help.
Old July 25, 2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

Theis Holsters

I carried a Smith 686 4" for a while. I since moved to a 3" but it takes the same holster.

I get all my holsters from this guy:

http://theisholsters.com/index.php

Pronounced like "tice." They're great holsters.
Old July 26, 2014, 03:01 PM   #3
BfloBill

With holsters you get what you pay for. If you really need to buy the cheap one to stay under budget by all means go ahead, but sooner or later you will go for the better product and it will end up collecting dust in the back of your drawer. There are a lot of decent holsters out there in the $50 to $65 (I used a Bianchi 3 slot pancake holster for years) and I finally spent the extra money last year on a higher end OWB Alessi holster and it was the best move I ever made. I also have co-workers who swear by Crossbreed holsters and will probably own one of those at some point for IWB.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/supertuckdeluxe.aspx

http://www.alessigunholsters.com/
Old July 27, 2014, 09:30 PM   #4
tomrkba

DO NOT BUY THE UNCLE MIKES SOCK!

It is absolute crap because it:
  1. does not hold the gun securely.
  2. is very uncomfortable and chafes.
  3. occasionally comes out with the gun on the draw.
  4. wears out very quickly from daily carry.

The most important parts of your rig are the belt and holster. A floppy belt will cause back pain and/or spasms over time. The holster secures the gun, presents the gun in a consistent way, and protects your back by distributing the weight.

If I were you, I would buy:

1) A kydex reinforced gun belt (1.5" wide) from Comp-Tac.
2) A good leather holster with separated loops (see photo). It should have generous forward cant to increase concealment.
3) Four Safariland #371 Speed Loader holders and four Safariland Comp II loaders (speedloaderstore.com).

Last edited by tomrkba; July 27, 2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old July 27, 2014, 09:48 PM   #5
old fart

i will need something that will cover the entire 4 inch barrel and most of the gun, with the gun blued i want as less metal possible outside to my sweat or elements. thanks
Old July 27, 2014, 10:56 PM   #6
reap

Get what you pay for...

http://www.wrightleatherworks.com

Won't go anywhere but here for mine... They are not outrageous on price or wait. Very fair and great product with fantastic customer service. I now have three in the last six months. I highly recommend them...
Old July 28, 2014, 01:53 PM   #7
BigJimP

Kramer ...horsehide leather ...is the only holster I'll use.../ its a very good product.

http://kramerleather.com/
Old July 28, 2014, 02:59 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

I have used, and been happy with, each of the following:
1. Theis horsehide/kydex IWB;
2. Crossbreed Supertuck;
3. Galco OWB leather; and
4. DeSantis Speed Scabbard.

I swap them out depending on which pistol I want to carry, and what I'm wearing. All work well.
Old July 28, 2014, 07:14 PM   #9
old fart

are these good holsters?, i found these on ebay: Safariland Custom Fit Paddle Belt Holster Smith & Wesson K & L Frame 568-09-411
Old July 28, 2014, 07:59 PM   #10
Bob Wright

My preference for many years was the Don Hume H721-OT for both my 4" S & W 586 and similar one for my 2 1/2" Model 19:

This holster is from Graveyard Jack Holsters and is the one I've been carrying for the last six months or so.

Bob Wright
Old July 31, 2014, 10:40 AM   #11
old fart

does safariland make good stuff?, i found a dealer that has offered me 2 new safailand model 568 holsters for just $50. it's his last 2 and when i messaged him on a lower price as he had 1 for $36 he gave me this deal. what do ya'll think? thanks
Old July 31, 2014, 07:38 PM   #12
Clark

The only decent revolver I have ever been able to carry is a 38sp S&W 642-2 in a $23 pocket holster DESANTIS M44BJMKZ0 marked "MK"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DESANTIS M44BJMKZ0 for PF9 marked MK S&W 642-2 7-31-2014.jpg (104.6 KB, 546 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 31, 2014, 10:05 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

My first thought for a suggestion was the Theis as mentioned early on. A little less costly, excellent quality, and a whole lot quicker to get than the Crossbreed of the same design.
But the fly in the ointment is that in checking their website I don't see the Service Six listed.
I think you are somewhat at the mercy of what is available.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 31, 2014, 10:28 PM   #14
old fart

i have found some iwb holsters on ebay, they are american made, leather, steel clip and with lifetime warranty. however they told me that they make they're holsters for modern guns only and the service six isn't on they're list. they have holsters for gp100, one for sp101 then they have s&w k frame holster and a s&w l frame holster. then a taurus 65 and 66 holster then taurus tracker. and a rossi 971. which would be closer to my gun? it's got me puzzled, this is my first looking for these holsters as i normally just open carry. thanks for any help
Old July 31, 2014, 10:53 PM   #15
JimmyR

oldfart, your biggest problem is you are trying to make a weapon designed to be a duty weapon into a CC weapon. That can sometimes be tricky, especially when dealing with older weapons.

I have a S&W Model 65, and I too had trouble finding a holster for it. I wanted an OWB and an IWB, and figured I'd get one first, then the other. I then stumbled onto Simply Rugged, and decided to take the leap.

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...151&parent=669

The Sourdough pancake is a pancake style holster for medium to large frame revolvers, and they make a model for the Service Six 4". They also offer their "inside out" loops, which are removeable loops that are attached with chicago screws, that allow your OWB pancake to be used as an IWB. I find that they conceal well with my gun, and would feel very comfortable buying another.

You're looking at about a $95 price tag, after shipping, but I don't think you will be disppointed.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old July 31, 2014, 10:56 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Many IWB holsters are "made to fit", and "closer" probably won't win a cigar.
Just a simple Google search of Ruger Service Six IWB holster turned this one up

http://www.falcoholsters.com/eshop/g...zle-it-92.html

And this one (looks like the same holster)
http://www.craftholsters.com/iwb-con...n-muzzle-falco
I see others that are sort of generic, fit alls. Most are cheap, nylon material with one belt clip. Not comfortable at all. Especially with a full sized 4" revolver. Even a custom made leather IWB with a single clip was not comfortable for my SA XD40 Subcompact. I even sent it back to have a second clip added to the front, which made little improvement.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 1, 2014, 05:29 AM   #17
brazosdave

This is what I use to tote around my Model P repro. It's from a Tandy leather kit, you can pick one up for around $15 I believe. In the Texas heat, if I wear a t shirt one size larger than normal, I can tote this one around all day, and you'll never know i'm carrying.
Old August 1, 2014, 06:40 AM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
The only decent revolver I have ever been able to carry is a 38sp S&W 642-2 in a $23 pocket holster DESANTIS M44BJMKZ0 marked "MK"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DESANTIS M44BJMKZ0 for PF9 marked MK S&W 642-2 7-31-2014.jpg (104.6 KB, 2 views)
That looks like the DeSantis Superfly.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 2, 2014, 09:14 PM   #19
subhuman

oldfart you asked about the Safariland paddle holster, they are a good production holster it will hold the pistol high and tight to your body, just remeber tuck the paddle inside your waistband and wear a belt to give the belt hooks something to catch on and help hold it in place. a good paddle holster is very comfortable for all day carry. dont mean to sound like a know it all but i have saw a lot of people just run the paddle behind their belt then gripe because the holster flops, it's ment to be inside your pants
Old August 3, 2014, 11:30 AM   #20
old fart

thanks Wow i sure didn't know how many holsters were really out there, i found this on gun broker. it fits the service six 4 inch, looks good and is around $25 after shipping. anyone have something like this?