The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2012, 11:19 PM   #1
g20gunny

7mm mag load data for 160 gr TSX

I am looking for load data for the 7mm rem mag with the 160 gr Barnes TSX and reloader 22. I know the barnes website shows load data for reloader 25 but I know there is data out there for r22. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 20, 2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Jimro

Alliant's web sight says 65 grains of Re22 with a Speer 160 grain bullet, and 61 grains of Re22 with a 175 grain Speer.

So start at 61 and work your way up to 65. I know it isn't specific to the Barnes bullet, but it is how I've worked up a load for components I didn't have specific data for.

Jimro
Old February 20, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Published load for the 7mmRemMag are often so wimpy they are silly.
The 7x57mmMauser can do better with custom handloads with long brass life.

The 7mmRemMag is SAAMI registered for 61,000 psi.
It uses the 1925 300 H&H case head with large Boxer primer pockets that is good for ~72 kpsi with long brass life, if always used in the same rifle.
The published loads often look like 45 kpsi when evaluated with Quickload with the chrono matching the prediction.

I get 3030 fps with 70 gr Re22 and 180 gr VLD. And I get long brass life and plenty of safety margin to the edge of long brass life.

If one goes to the Alliant web site, they say 61 gr Re22 is the max for 175 gr.

This is nuts.

Crazy loco silly nuts.

If you think load books were written by a committee of lawyers, the 7mmRemMag section was written by a broken Ouija board.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 23, 2012, 09:07 AM   #4
g20gunny

barnes reply

I decided to just email barnes since the load data is unique to solid copper bullets from jacketed bullets and I specified which powder I wanted and they replied by lunch the next day with load data for me.
Old February 23, 2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Triplespeed

So at 70gr re22 is that a compressed load. I do know that in my rifle I have went 3gr over without an issue but have never tried anything hotter

Tags
7mm , barnes , tsx