The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2011, 09:06 AM   #1
jclayto

Will Tula primers feed ok in a Dillon 650?

The powder valley deal is eating away at me, I really want to place an order for 10k primers... but with some googling I've found reports of tula/wolf primers not always feeding properly in dillon 550's. Does anyone know if this problem is with the 650's as well? I am afraid of ending up with 10,000 primers that won't feed through my priming system.

Thanks

Jon
Old January 1, 2011, 12:58 PM   #2
sandhills writer

:barf: I have a problem getting the old Wolf to feed through my 1050
Old January 1, 2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The KVB (maker of Wolf and Tula) primers are said to be a little wider and harder to seat than average. I've even had trouble with CCI seating easily in the Square Deal and 550B, so I haven't even considered the KVB's for them. I don't have a 650 to compare.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 1, 2011, 02:43 PM   #4
jclayto

I think I will hold off. I saw some other post where peopled claimed to be getting them for <$20 per 1,000 at gun shows. Maybe I will try to hit up a show and buy a a box to see what happens. Much better than getting stuck with 10k.

On a side note, are shows usually a good place for components? I quit going to shows years ago when guns were more than retail at most tables, but never thought of looking for components there.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:25 PM   #5
MifflinKid

Tula SP primers are OK in my Dillon 550B

I got 10K Tula SP primers from Powder Valley in early December. I've loaded more than 600 in various calibers( 38 Special, 357 Magnum and 32 Magnum) and haven't had any problems.

They felt best when I was seating them into Federal nickel cases. But I loaded Winchester, Remington and PMC cases too.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Usertag

Tula Primers

They should work just fine. People just blame anything they can find about a bullet, on jamming. But Anyways don't worry about it. it will work. but if you haven't placed the order yet. The best primers are Federal Gold Medal Primers there a really good type.
Old January 3, 2011, 10:57 PM   #7
medalguy

I've loaded about 40,000 Wolf primers this past year. I also had problems feeding them through the Dillon tubes, but when I switched back to Remington primers they all fed just fine so I know it was the Wolf that were a bit large. I and others have also had some problems with Wolf seating in some brass. It does seem that the Wolf and I assume Tula (same plant) might be very slightly larger than other primers. My solution is simply to throw the brass with improperly seated primers aside, deprime them later and reprime. So I lose 5 or so per 1000 primers. Big deal.

As far as shows go, prices around most of the shows I've been to this past year have been significantly higher than Powder Valley. I am still seeing primers averaging $35 - 40 per K at most shows. I can't imagine primers for under $20 at a show.