The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 22, 2009, 10:14 PM   #26
Smokin' gun

The Smokin' Gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-BqvgFSMlE
Old June 23, 2009, 01:11 AM   #27
Smokin_Gun

Good Video Smokin' Gun I did enjoy it. I never once tired of hearing my name, and proud you named it after me ... :O)
You done a fine job with the Store wouldn't mind havin' one out here in the Mojave ... if I ever get the chance I'll look ya up...
Here's Pic for yer wall of Marshal Smokin' Gun :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old June 23, 2009, 01:25 AM   #28
arcticap

It was a real pleasure to meet you through your video Billy.
I enjoyed it so much that I watched it twice.
Old June 23, 2009, 05:06 PM   #29
Smokin' gun

Thanks Smokin Gun and Articap. I was caught by surprise on that one and had no prep of what to say. It was a cookout! it's hard to explain these guns in only a few minutes. If you saw the prices on the Actual Colts---they are pricy since I really don't want to sell them since they are part of my personal collection.They look good in the case though. And Smokin Gun---got your pic and it definitely is going on the wall--framed---send some more. I guess I coulda done better? But , cookout, a few beers---I did the best I could.

Thanks again
WB HICKUP
Old June 23, 2009, 07:10 PM   #30
ClemBert

Hey Smokin' Gun,

Nice video and congrats on your new BP store. From the back of your t-shirt I figured out your store is in Spartanburg. I went to high school in Spartanburg (Boiling Springs). BTW, you don't "squish" the ball in...every self respecting South Carolinian knows you "mash" the ball in...LOL!
Old June 23, 2009, 07:56 PM   #31
Smokin' gun

I must have crs! I didn't say squish--I said sqush:} I also said that the 3rd Gen. Colt was made in the 80's I was wrong--maybe late 90's--never checked the date. I was most assuringly wrong on that. I also said that Colt invented the revolver---that's questionable--Didn't mention Remingtons---that's unexcusable --didn't say spout for the powder flask and no self respected southerner would have worn such a tight t shirt and Jimmy Buffet pants---Was I fixin' to have a cantalope baby? Hell' it was 100 degrees that day! By the way, I was showing an original 1st gen 1849 pocket at the beginning before I knew this guy wanted to interview. It was made in 1860--and the guy sitting next to me had never seen an original. I might have sold it if I hadn't gone inside---and I dry fired it---that was stupid and let him do the same? If Bill hadn't been nearby it might have just rode off on a Harley! But that gun is probably the most valuable thing in the store--looked pretty good. It's all back in the case secured and I will be more careful with handling it from now on out. SMOKIN GUN---that's the one I said had excessive cylinder gap and should I mill it. You saw it cock? I know, I know---leave it alone.
I used to play in a rock band that had an album---"There is a" my space" site for "J Teal Band" I didn't personally put it up but you might have fun visiting it. My wife put a bulletin on it that said "guitar slinger to gunslinger" LOL

Hey, most of you know about these guns more than me(Yuh think?} so I appreciate all advise and criticism. I played with them in the late 70's and it was less than 6 months ago I renewed my interest. Now that's another story!? Billy, Hardy or WBHICKUP
Old June 23, 2009, 08:58 PM   #32
Smokin' gun

Clembert-- Yes we are in Spartanburg. I don't know how long ago you were here but Boiling Springs is almost a city in itself with more subdivisions you can count going from I-85 all the way up to Lake Bowen. The traffic there is awful and land values are astronomical! If it's been awhile you'd be impressed or appalled--or both!:]

WBHICKUP
Old June 24, 2009, 03:27 AM   #33
SamStafford

Nice Video there. Wish there were more BP Gun shops around here. The last place that I bought some BP items...this guy don't know crap about the stuff he is selling. Also this guy states that brass frames are just as GOOD as steel frames(he is trying to sell more brass frames than steel frames).
Anyway, keep building that nice shop up.
Old June 24, 2009, 06:06 AM   #34
mykeal

Brass frames ARE just as good as steel frames. It's the owners who don't know what they're doing that make the difference.
Old June 24, 2009, 10:28 AM   #35
SamStafford

Holy Crap...you work for this guy...don't you?
Old June 24, 2009, 11:09 AM   #36
Smokin_Gun

Billy I could tell you're interview was on the spot, but you din't act a bit nrevous and explained and answered questions in a manner all could understand...you Shop is a very comfortable place to be in and you are esy to listen too...for any relevant info historically correct jus' google it for ech type Rev you sell replica or not... get you a couple new or used Revs that can be handled for display and only pull the real deals you are sellin' out for the serously interested buyer. Any enthusiest that gets a Rem or Colt that's comfortable in their hand will buy that one under the glass...if ya have a talented Gunsmith on premisis that's a plus...someone to answer questions and keep you freed up for Sales and BBQ/Beers :O)
You done a real fine job... and if you are serious about pics sized for hangin' I'd be more than glad to contribute.
Old June 24, 2009, 04:24 PM   #37
Smokin' gun

of course I'd like pics from the smokin gun ...
Old June 24, 2009, 07:52 PM   #38
Gaucho Gringo

I wish I lived within driving distance of your shop. It looks like a good one. I wish you the best.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old June 24, 2009, 11:16 PM   #39
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
of course I'd like pics from the smokin gun ...
Top one is 147 years Old 1861 Remington Old Army the bottom ones's name is "Rusty" and Old Armi San Palo.

ASP(Rusty), Remington 1861, Uberti(Sophia A. Uberti)

Old June 25, 2009, 12:09 AM   #40
SamStafford

Oh, NOW you got STEEL frames on here.

What happen to your BRASS frames...Huh?
Old June 25, 2009, 12:40 AM   #41
Smokin_Gun

Wake up kid ... :O)

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; June 27, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old June 25, 2009, 09:57 AM   #42
SamStafford

Kid?
Old June 25, 2009, 05:37 PM   #43
long rider

Nice smokers you got there sg,
like i said before sg, you got everything.
Old June 25, 2009, 05:47 PM   #44
long rider

Bin there are two smokin guns, my last post was for sg
in cal just so we are on the same trail, cool pics of your
shop, ifn one day i was out that there way i would drop
in for a gander. and one last thing
CARNT WE ALL GET ALONG
Old June 26, 2009, 10:05 PM   #45
Smokin' gun

There is only one smokin gun! It ain' me , since I have a ' after smokin! But Smokin Gun- I loved your pics, Are both those remingtons originals.? Send me a pic of you shootin um. Not to be selling but if you have some things you need we can get um I don't want to carry real black powder because it's just too much cost and hassle. And all you guys that said nice things--I'll get you deals at just a tad above our cost. Only folks here--my friends!
Billy
Old June 27, 2009, 01:08 AM   #46
Smokin_Gun

Thanks Smokin' I'll see ifin I got some shootin' pics ... I got one I know of from last Rondy shootin' a Mowrey I bought from a Trader there. I'll piull up some Rondy pics for ya. The Admin of Muzzleloaders for cheap forum met me there. He goes by Dryball over there. His Son took Pics of us.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...30-08_1357.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...k_s_powder.jpg
Here's sumfin' I hunt
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ple/snake1.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...e/cowboy-5.jpg
Me and Young Smokin_Gun with Remingtons
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...06-07_1159.jpg

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; June 27, 2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old June 27, 2009, 10:05 PM   #47
Smokin' gun

Great Smokin---I lost something in the previous threads -something about you not having brass frames. Remington never made brass frames. I think there was a confederate company out of texas J. dance that did. You didn't have one. Anyway , I'll scroll back and try to figure all that out.

The guys that come in our store want brass frames. and they know they are'nt as good but they want them anyway to help support the Rebel army. They bring um back in and that brass is so shiny a Mexican general would pay a fortune for them LOL:}
Old June 27, 2009, 10:29 PM   #48
4V50 Gary
Staff

Smokin_gun: That's a terrific shot of a 'hawk throw. The thrower's poise was captured perfectly with the hawk in flight. Kudos!

Now, the camp scene with the modern chair needs some work.
Old June 27, 2009, 11:59 PM   #49
Smokin_Gun

Sam was sayin' I wasn't showin' any brass guns ...
Well I sold about 15 of my Brass & Steel frame guns in the last year due to attrition (needed Bucks)
So I had some very nice used brassers and they sold fast...I din't wanna sell any off. I have a Schneider & Glassick .36 by High Standard, and a Spiller&Burr .36 ... I that and the Colts with Steel and Brass backs, ect...I like the looks of the brassers and they shoot good too.
Old June 28, 2009, 06:22 AM   #50
CaptainCrossman

Quote:
I was advised to post this from suggestions from a previous thread in this catagory. I'm not here to endorse or sell our products but to get good info from all of you that know and have a passion/knowledge and experience with mostly cap and ball revolvers. We have a lot of antiques, curios hunting etc. But I want to get an interest going on these guns! So far the cheaper brass frames like the Piettas Reb Confederate and similar types (but not the higher end ones) are selling...but no one seems to want to buy the good ones here in S.C. They like looking at them----I won't go any further yet but I'm the only store around that has a variety of these percussion revolvers in a display case. Please offer advice if you want to.:} Billy Hardy

I'd stick to the better made guns like steel frame Remington and Colt patterns, and stainless guns. The brass frame guns although cheaper, may lead to customer complaints, and if one shoots loose on a customer, he'll think twice of buying from you again. Sell them a good strong gun that will last and you'll sleep better at night, and your reputation will benefit.