The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old November 20, 2006, 10:45 PM   #1
Waterwolf

C&R firearm transfer??

If I have a C&R can I do a legal firearm transfer?? I see that people want to transfer to a ffl holder, would this be legit enough for that?? I have interests in both new and older firearms, and would like to purchase both over the internet. What sayest thou? Firearms would not be for resale, or not currently planned atleast.
Old November 21, 2006, 01:49 PM   #2
Thiokol

If you're asking if it's okay to accept a firearm for transfer to someone else, the short answer is no. The C&R license is issued to a collector for the purpose of enhancing his own collection, not for engaging in the firearm business. Having said that, you can transfer a C&R firearm that you own to another individual. But, if you do that a lot without buying something else, you may have a problem if the ATF ever decides to inspect your records.
Old November 21, 2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Blackwater OPS

Also, they have to be on the C&R list or be at least 50 years old.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old November 22, 2006, 08:09 AM   #4
Waterwolf

Next question

If someone here has a firearm for sale that isn't 50 years old or on the C&R list, would the C&R FFl be valid enough to receive that firearms from that person. I see must ship to FFL holder in the adds. I realize this is a round about question, or is it up to the descresion of the individual if they would accept that. I don't know how much power/validity the C&R license really holds, or what paperwork in involved with firearm receiving & purchaseses.
Old November 22, 2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
If someone here has a firearm for sale that isn't 50 years old or on the C&R list, would the C&R FFl be valid enough to receive that firearms from that person. I see must ship to FFL holder in the adds. I realize this is a round about question, or is it up to the descresion of the individual if they would accept that. I don't know how much power/validity the C&R license really holds, or what paperwork in involved with firearm receiving & purchaseses.
NO, that would be highly illegal. If you have one of these maybe you should READ the documents that came with it, or even just read what is ON the license right after "Dear licensee". If you screw up with a C&R, like not keeping your bound book or transfering non-C&R firearms you are going to end up doing time.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old November 22, 2006, 07:28 PM   #6
Thiokol

Waterwolf,

BlackwaterOps has it exactly right. Before you get yourself in a jam, read this: http://atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#g
Old November 22, 2006, 07:34 PM   #7
Waterwolf

I can tell you guys are wondering.

I don't have one yet, but considering the idea. Just gathering info here for the experts.
Old November 22, 2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Waterwolf

Thank you all.

The above link was very clear of where the line is drawn. I appreciate all the info give.
Old November 24, 2006, 06:30 PM   #9
Waterwolf

End link please

Thank you for the info.. Please end.
Old December 12, 2006, 08:15 PM   #10
Waterwolf

Okay, okay, okay. Another question.

Say I want to purchase two guns with the C&R FFL license since they are cheap, and then sell the lesser quality gun. Is this okay??

Second, if I purchase two firearms at one time, or maybe more would that be reportable to the FBI like it is with a regular current firearm??

Who are some good dealers/warehouse suppliers for the Mausers and other rifles? I would like to eliminate the middle man as much as possible.

Getting off topic a little, what is a good cheap Mauser 8mm, what to look for, or ask before buying? $150.00 or less.
Old December 12, 2006, 08:18 PM   #11
Waterwolf

The straight & narrow.

I just received my C&R license, any tips on staying out of the fire. Any things to beware of, or careful of doing? I really don't need to screw this up.
Old December 13, 2006, 10:12 AM   #12
Thiokol

Several things:

Make sure that you keep accurate records of every acquisition and disposition.

Use the license to purchase only for yourself, ie, do not do transfers of C&R firearms for others.

Selling an item to upgrade to the same item in better condition is fine but don't buy multiples of the same item, at the same time, from the same dealer, with the intent of keeping the best one and selling the others.

The C&R license is not recognized as an FFL for shipping handguns via the USPS. So your only choices are UPS or Fedex as DHL will not transport firearms for anyone. Following are the links to the UPS and Fedex tariffs. Follow them explicitly. If you don't, and your firearm is lost or stolen, they will not honor an insurqnce claim and you won't have a leg to stand on. I know from personal experience and it was an expensive lesson.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/ter....html#firearms

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html