The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2002, 07:42 PM   #1
Rovert

A. Zoli: need info

While on my recent excursion for a SIG shotgun, while at Griffin & Howe, a friend who was with me bought a pre-owned gun, just for [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]s and giggles, that we'd like some information on, if anyone can help:

O/U, gloss wood (although there was a similar semi-gloss, also) upper and lower ventilated ribs, gold plated trigger, scrollwork engraving on blued trigger guard.

Receiver:
Nickel-color, floral scroll engraving
Markings said (left) Angelo Zoli (right) Gardone V. T. Italy

Barrel:
Angelo Zoli BSA Nord America - Buffalo NY Z43 Special, 12GA, 3.00 MAG

I can post some shots tomorrow, if that will help.
Old September 8, 2002, 10:39 AM   #2
Rovert

Got some photos up. Sorry, a couple are blurry, but hopefully, it's enough to get me steered in the right direction. Curious about history, current value on the market, and any other info you can share.

Old September 8, 2002, 06:00 PM   #3
Kip

Sounds like one my dad purchased in the early 70's from the old Sears and Roebuck. I have the gun now but never use if. Not sure of the value but it has been a very reliable gun over the years and not bad looking.
Old September 8, 2002, 08:24 PM   #4
Rovert

Kip, I think this is probably a more recent model, but anything is possible. Does the one above look like what you have?
Old September 9, 2002, 11:29 AM   #5
K80Geoff

Gardone, Val Trompia is where all the Italian gunsmiths live. Beretta, Perazzi, Renato Gamba et al. They all have worked for one another and often guns made in this area are a combined effort with different smiths building different parts of the gun.

Most of the guns coming out of this area are excellent quality. Zoli has built guns for a variety of importers over the years.

Rovert your friend should get a subscription to "Double Gun Journal" and look through the index. I am sure there has been an article or two on Zoli.
Old September 9, 2002, 12:01 PM   #6
K80Geoff

Hey Rovert!

If you really want to go into fits of orgasmic gun pleasure, try attending this event:

www.vintagers.org
Click on Vintage Cup 2002
Also on the picture gallery!

I went to the event two years ago, just to go through the vendors tents! Incredible!
Old September 9, 2002, 12:41 PM   #7
Rovert

Geoff, my eyes glazed over, and I felt light-headed enough while at Griffin & Howe (where we bought the above Zoli), so I think I'll probably need to bring some oxygen and smelling salts with me if I go.