The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 9, 2000, 07:00 PM   #1
foxfire

I just got thru reading Quiet Storm's thread of Dec. 12th, on the .32/20 revolver. Is there anywhere I can go to find more information on the history of the gun and caliber, in particular, the foreign variations? I realize that they are, for the most part, 'pot metal junk'; but my dad has recently acquired one (50% blue, 4" barrel) which seems to have French markings on one side of the barrel. The bore is extremely clean; but we don't plan on firing it much, if any. It'll be more of a curio in our collection than anything else. Thanks for any help or advice.

------------------
...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make...
Old January 9, 2000, 11:54 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you tell us what the markings are we may be able to help. Most of the junkers were Spanish; most French guns were OK, but the French bought a lot of Spanish stuff in WWI that can only be described as "better than nothing, maybe".

As to books, I don't think there are any, as the guns were simply not worth any serious interest. Further, the Spanish Civil War destroyed a lot of records (if they even existed) and research would be tough.

Jim
Old January 10, 2000, 05:49 AM   #3
foxfire

------------------

[This message has been edited by foxfire (edited January 10, 2000).]
Old January 10, 2000, 05:51 AM   #4
foxfire

Jim,
I'll gladly list all markings, etc., on the revolver as soon as I lay my hands on it again. My dad has it at the moment; and it will probably be a few more weeks before I visit his end of the state. Thanks for responding to my query, I'll get back to you...

------------------