The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2002, 09:44 AM   #1
jmlv

What can you tell me about Maverick shotguns

I saw one of these at the local wal-mart last night. Only $159.00
for a 12 gage pump shotgun! should be perfect for protecting the ol homestead IF its worth bothering with. Says maverick by mossberg so would this be an economy version of the 500 mossy?
What can you tell me about these guns? Are they a solid value?
thanks
MOLON LABE!
Old September 12, 2002, 11:11 AM   #2
Opie-IN

I would pass

Although I am sure it would work fine for occasional use, I would spend the extra $30-50 and get a Mossberg 500 or a Rem 870. I bought a used Maverick about a month ago to use for doves, and ended up trading for a used 870 and never looked back. The action was really rough on the maverick, and the saftey was hard to switch on and off. I have 3 870s now, and am going to stick with what works, they have never failed me.

Brian
Old September 12, 2002, 11:36 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

They're essentially the same as the Mossberg 500 and 835. Old Mavericks differed by having only a single action bar along the side of the pump. I had one of those jam on me once-the only pump shotgun I've shot that has ever done so! the new mavericks look ok, but may have some cheaply made internal parts.
Old September 12, 2002, 11:56 AM   #4
Andrew Wyatt

I'd buy it. the internals are compatable with the 500 series (except the trigger group) and they have the same design except for the 870 style safety.

shoot it a bunch and it'll smooth out.
Old September 12, 2002, 01:43 PM   #5
foghornl

The Maverick is Mossberg's "Entry Level price" shotgun. I have one of the slightly older (1991 vintage) Maverick Mdl 88's, and it only has the single action bar. Most of the Mossberg parts and third-party accesories that fit the Mossy 500 will fit the Mavericks, trigger group excepted. Bought mine in early 1992 at a close-out at a Service Merchandise store for a crazy low price of around $105, including box and docs. (it was the display gun)