The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2014, 06:01 PM   #1
Jeff2131

thiinking i need some re-education

I recently posted a reply to someone. I mentioned "dwell time" in conjuction with a heavier crimp. After posting, what i thought was good advice, i starting questioning myself and whether or not i used the.correct terminology. I was under the impression that "dwell time" was the fraction of amount of time that the bullet holds firm in the case while pressure builds to a point in which it can push the bullet from its hold in the case.

Then i.was reading and found dwell time associated with gun recoil....so now im not sure my response was accurate or if im just not referring to it in the correct terminology.

Anybody feel like educating me on dwell time and what i thought dwell time was?
Old February 17, 2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Urban_Redneck

I've most often heard "dwell" used to describe the interval between firing and when a semi-auto unlocks.
Old February 17, 2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Idaho Spud

Maybe it means the same for both. Doesn't really matter. (to me) Kinda like mags and clips. We all know what's meant. I read your post and I'm going with "dwell". Sounds good to me. And I THINK I know what you mean.
Old February 17, 2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Jeff2131

Yea, the guy was having issues with stove piping even after going near or over max loads, so i suggested a heavier crimp on the bullet to help the pressure build enough to give him a "snappier" round to allow his berretta's action to function properly. I always associated dwell with the amount of time the bullet hangs in the case before the pressure builds enough to push it out. Just wasnt sure i had the right idea and terminology correct. Made sense to me but i didnt wanna be spoutting off suggestions that were inaccurate ya know.
Old February 17, 2014, 09:58 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

Well I have to commend you on checking it out. I am sure most reloaders are cautious and want to give the correct advice.

I have always known Dwell time to be the firing time to unlocking time as well. Dwell definition: https://www.google.com/search?q=dwel...-US:IE-Address

If in fact dwell occurs with longer intervals in time due to a tighter crimp then the word was definitely in the right context from what you described in your response. No worries...
Old February 18, 2014, 12:28 PM   #6
HiBC

I wonder if Funk and Wagnall reloaded.We try to communicate an idea,and select from an inventory of words.

IMO,if we understand each other,mission accomplished.You did fine.

To your original question,unless it was a subload,I would look to tuning extractor/ejector.
Old February 19, 2014, 12:44 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Dwell time means an interval between two events. Everything else is the context. There is "dwell time" in a moon rocket launch (notice they start the engines on 3, but liftoff is after 1 in the countdown).

Caliber has different meanings, depending on context. Lots of things do. Using a general dictionary for the precise definition of a technical term in context is useless. The dictionaries themselves even say so (just not in those exact words). The all say that they define the words as found "in common usage".

The usage of terms in a technical discussion is NOT "in common usage".
Old February 20, 2014, 10:51 AM   #8
Goatwhiskers

I thought dwell time was the length of time that a set of ignition points in a distributor stayed in contact. Shows how old I am. GW
Old February 20, 2014, 11:34 AM   #9
243winxb

Time Lag

Maybe this?? Time lag definition- "a period of time between two related actions (such as a cause and its effect)." Primer fires-pressure builds, time lag-bullet moves. The time lag would increase/decrease depending on the lbs of bullet pull. (5.56mm is 35 lbs minimum). Bullet pull can be measured. On seating a bullet, if the neck area expands .002" this will give about 35 to 45 lbs in a 223 rem round. The crimp would help to raise the bullet pull weight & time lag also.
Old February 20, 2014, 11:48 AM   #10
243winxb

dwell time

noun
technical

noun: dwell time; plural noun: dwell times

time spent in the same position, area, or stage of a process.
Old February 21, 2014, 06:58 AM   #11
Jeff2131

Goatwhiskers....hahahaha...yes. fellow mechanic here. That definition of dwell time is correct! I still have a meter that does dwell too.