The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Video, Shooting the Great Plains

Here is a short video shooting the GPR today, before thing went bad with the cleaning Jag. Sorry for the two parts my camera man quit rolling, my camera I guess doesn't have a pause button and I'm not a video editor but I'll figure it out someday.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur9LuHREo2k
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IFsJ...eature=channel
Old March 2, 2012, 01:45 AM   #2
Beagle333

Fun video! I like your 'range' too.
Old March 2, 2012, 07:04 AM   #3
mykeal

Nicely done.

Two suggestions:

1) get yourself a solid brass range rod from October Country.

2) mark your rod for the fully loaded position.

I think you're going to find that 90 grains is about the limit for accuracy with a round ball and that 1:60 barrel. My best load is between 70 and 80. But please continue with your testing and let us know how it works out.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:59 AM   #4
deerslayer303

Thanks for the tips mykeal, Thats good to know less power= more balls per pound. That is one sweet shooting rifle, recoil is nothing, the heavy barrel makes it easy to hold super steady.

Quote:
Fun video! I like your 'range' too.
Thanks Beagle, I cleared it out in about 3 hours one day, its 50 yards long total. My back stop is a 500lb round hay bale, it does a good job stopping pistol bullets, round balls, shotgun slugs and shot, and sabots out of the inline, but it won't stop high powered rifle rounds. There isn't any houses for quite a while behind the range but I still don't shoot much high powered rifles there I go to the outdoor public range for that. The plan is to eventually build a big backstop out of clay and fill dirt.
Old March 2, 2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Video, Shooting the Great Plains

(Video)--Good job Sir.--Watching helps get rid of that dreaded Cabin Fever some of us up North got this time of year > -- 54s and Rd. ball? It don't get much better than that for some> fun. Tip: Track of the Wolf offers a Palm Ball (un-drilled.) Under Ramrod Handles, balls & T handles. Check it out only a buck. Works great for one of those tough to seat balls or projectile we all experience every now and then because of a dirty barrel. SSMcG

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 3, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:39 PM   #6
arcticap

That was an enjoyable video and nice shooting!
CVA & Traditions outfitters sell these wooden ramrod handles. I simply slip them on to thick dowels that are just under bore size. Thick dowels can be found at any hardware store for about $1.
The thinner one is for .36 bores.
I have yet to break one.
A wooden ramrod handle can even be carried in a possibles bag.
Below is a rubber ramrod gripper that was marketed by an outfit in my hometown, and I found some left overs gathering dust on a store shelf.
When it's squeezed it assists by gripping the ramrod.
They've been out of production for a long time but the idea still works.
And it's designed to hook onto the side of a possibles bag, pocket or belt.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000590a22.jpg (20.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg P1010163a.jpg (49.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg P1010161a.jpg (40.7 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by arcticap; March 2, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old March 13, 2012, 04:33 AM   #7
deerslayer303

Man I just watched it again myself, gets me all fired up to go shoot that thang some more. I absolutely love that rifle. I like it a heck of a lot more than that inline I have. yep thats right! LOVE THAT BALL SLINGER!!!
Old March 13, 2012, 12:41 PM   #8
BConklin

I've got the same rifle in 54 cal. Nice indeed.

You mention a problem with the cleaning jag - I pulled mine threaded cap clean off the rod by "accident" Rahter than just glue it back on, I drilled a small hole through the cap and the rod, set the cap back on with epoxy and drifted a brass brad through the hole from one side to the other. Filed and sanded it flush on both sides and now I can hardly see the repair.

It's held up well so far.