The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 5, 2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Zhillsauditor

Savage 10 bolt disassembly

I am trying to disassemble the bolt on my new savage 10, with the fakafka cocking indicator. I do not know what I am doing wrong, but the firing pin retaining sleave will not fall down so I can remove the retaining pin. I don't think I should use pliers, so I must be doing something wrong. I think I decocked it, but maybe I have not--how do you tell?
Old September 5, 2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Txhillbilly

Here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIwyywJZf-4
Old September 6, 2012, 05:19 AM   #3
Zhillsauditor

I get to the point where the sleeve is supposed to fall down and it don't fall down. Also, that video is for the older style without the cocking indicator, which, I think, is what is preventing the sleeve from dropping.
Old September 7, 2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Txhillbilly

All of my Savage 10/12/110's old and new are the same.There isn't a cocking indicator on any of them.
Unless that's something that they just started putting on the bolt's in the last year,I have no idea of what your talking about.

What is the exact model of Savage that you have?
Old September 8, 2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Zhillsauditor

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...Number=2745759

I don't know that he cocking indicator is the problem, all I know is that the sleeve will not drop as in the video you posted. I've tapped it, knocked it, shaken it. I was thinking of degreasing the bolt--maybe there is some grease that is keeping it from dropping.

I believe all older savages have a cocking indicator--I believe you depress it to remove the bolt.

Last edited by Zhillsauditor; September 8, 2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: added information on older savages
Old September 8, 2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Yankee Doodle

Not to state the obvious, but a call to Savage will get you all the information you need. They have the best customer service department you are likely to find.