The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 23, 2005, 07:27 PM   #1
sm

Piddlin'

Anyone else just piddle with whatever handy?

Found myself out and about, ended up around a Skeet field on a farm. My truck has a way of doing that.

All I had was my CCW.

Hot as the devil, humidity high, no shotgun, no shells..." Lets go get some more clays and get some others to come out."

"I don't have a gun or shells" I replied.
"Never stopped you before..."

So we stopped and bought clays and ammo at a local Mom and Pop Gas station, bait shop, shooting and whatnot store.

"Whaddya want to shoot?" I was asked.
" Just hand me something- I don't care" I replied.

I was handed a Win Ranger 1300 with the corn-cob forearm, I fired two, it went bang, and I took note of POA/ POI over that away.

I shot a 53/50. I do stuff like this. I mean I broke the first bird and decided to shoot one of the peices. On station 7 I shot both birds on the double, and did so the next time. They should not have been there at the same time is all I can say...I keep score a bit different than some folks do ..."if it breaks - its broke " I say...

Shot some steels, lobbed some at paint buckets, just had fun.

Fella said " you never bothered to check the choke" I replied it seemed to be tight and when checked once it still was...

" No I mean you never asked what it was"

" I really was not too concerned, just figured I concentrate, and focus on the leading edge of bird - and just shoot the durn thing"

Upon further inspection it was a IC.

We ran another rd of skeet and this time I used a single shot full choked .410, I shot the doubles as singles, got me a 26/ 25, - I wanted the double pulled on L 7 to see if the clays were still dumb enough to fly that close again - they were.

Just grab what handy, shoot whatever ammo is handy, use the correct basics ingrained, don't impede the natural - just shoot the durn thing.

Gosh - I like simple. Had a real good time too.

Anyone else just piddle with what handy?

Old June 24, 2005, 04:38 AM   #2
kudu

Yea, Steve, I've shown up at the gun club without a gun and someone says "hey let's go shoot a round, use this" and hands me some gun that I have never shot. After the round is over they get half upset that I ran the round with their gun. Recently did this with a buddy's 11-48 .410. He had a bunch of 24's shot with it but he had never run a round with it.
Old June 24, 2005, 06:21 AM   #3
HSMITH

Yup, I've done it too. Shot some guns well but I remember a little 410 tubed 20ga Citori that I couldn't hit the barn with if I was standing inside........
Old June 24, 2005, 08:41 AM   #4
sm

I've met barns like that...

Fellow handed me a SX1, well phooey, I own and shoot SX1s, this ain't gonna be a big deal or nuttin'

Dropped H1, dropped it again, chipped it on the double and a wee piece came off the L1.

Stop the train.

Come to find out the fella had a " good buddy doing gunsmithin' off his kitchen table" installed the screw in choke on that 30" bbl that used to be fixed full choke. POI was about a county off from POA.

I mean it was real obvious nothing was concentric, straight, true...nuttin'

Another fellow bought it "right" - he was a sick as I was. He sent it to Nu-Line , as that is whom quite a few of used at the time. Now it came back with the external knurled steel rated chokes like mine and others, forcing cone tweaked,and at 25" in bbl length - a right handy ,straight shooting SX1 it became again.
Old June 24, 2005, 03:06 PM   #5
HSMITH

Hmmm. I never thought that the gun might have been the problem with that little citori but I suppose it could be, the fella that owned it shot it OK..........