The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 25, 2002, 11:51 AM   #1
Slater

Corrosion on shotguns

From reading various postings, it seems that the low-glare finish on the Remington 870 Express series is susceptible to rust. Here in balmy Arizona, moisture isn't a problem most of the time, but for some in wet-weather climates it seems to be a concern. Is this type of finish not very good at resisting moisture? I'm guessing that wiping exterior surfaces with oil isn't making much of a difference.
Old October 25, 2002, 12:51 PM   #2
Ledbetter

I had a rust problem on the receiver of my budget-model Remington 1100. The finish came right off with scotch bright pads and CLP. I reblacked it with Brownell's Dicropan (sp) and steel wool, after removing the old rust with chemical rust remover.

Now I use CLP or, even better, FP-10 to wipe the gun down. No more problems.

Regards,

Ledbetter
Old October 25, 2002, 06:35 PM   #3
dick w. holliday

i made the mistake of taking my 870 express out in the ocean so we could play when the fish weren't biting and guess what?? we got it wet on the way back and now the shape of the receiver/barrel is now rusted into one of the boat cushions.....it rusted in minutes.....that rough finish really absorbs water.....Dick
Old October 25, 2002, 07:38 PM   #4
S.F.S

In the same respect that the 870 Express absorbs water, it will also soak in CLP.
I was out duck hunting last year on the marsh and never had any problems even after it got a bit wet and not to mention the times it got rained upon, I just make sure that before and after the hunt or general use I spray it down and let it soak into the finish and wipe off any excess..
I have used Rem-oil, Break-Free CLP and G96 Gun Treatment and have had good results with each.

Scott

Last edited by S.F.S; October 25, 2002 at 08:15 PM.
Old October 25, 2002, 10:40 PM   #5
HSMITH

My express rusted in a flash till I painted it. You can paint it flat black too if you want to keep the look it came with.
Old October 26, 2002, 05:29 AM   #6
Guyon

I have several Remingtons with the Express finish. I hunt with most of them. I use CLP. I've never had any rusting.

I wouldn't take any gun out in the ocean without a good coating of some rust preventative. There's a reason I flush my reels with freshwater every time I fish in saltwater.

Steel (with just about any finish) + saltwater + humid conditions = rapid rusting. The only exception here would be stainless steels.
Old October 26, 2002, 06:50 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Like Scott said. Eastern Shore waterfowling is the acid test for gun finishes. Frankenstein's Express bbl has gone into salt marshes and goose blinds at a dizzying altitude of less than 10 feet above sea level and has zero corrosion. Lots of CLP and SLIP seems to do it, at least so far.

Gotta admit I'm a little surprised at some of the reports. I wonder if some lots of blued guns are more susceptible than others due to differences in the chemicals used.
Old October 26, 2002, 07:54 AM   #8
S.F.S

I recently picked up an Express 20" deer barrel used that had a couple little spec's of surface rust by the front R.S. and all I did was spray down the entire barrel with G96 and let it sit over night and it just wiped right off in the morning and looked like new.
A week later the rust still hasn't returned.

I have a few friends that have 870's that are not maintained well at all and theirs have not rusted either, which is suprising considering one had an O&U that rusted and the other an H&R slug gun that rusted.

Scott