The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2008, 09:30 PM   #1
ddhartzell

Lee classic turret vs Lee turret press

the Lee website doesnt really go into great detail about the differences between these 2. From what I can tell the classic is a little heavier built. Is that a correct assumption?

I am looking to purchase my first reloading set up. Will mainly be doing pistol rounds but may down the road do some rifle.

Thanks
Old November 28, 2008, 10:03 PM   #2
D. Manley

If a Lee turret is the way you want to go, grab the LCT and don't look back. To be honest, I don't know why Lee even offers the other any more.
Old November 28, 2008, 10:37 PM   #3
fourrobert13

The classic turret is beefier, and has more clearance to load taller rifle rounds. I have owned the older turret, and I sold it after getting the classic. The classic also has the spent primer tube which makes cleaning up spent primers a joy. The classic is the way to go IMO.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:22 PM   #4
rwt101

I bought the regular turret press because I did not research good enough. Don't get me wrong I like the one I have now, but what I have learned I would have gone with the classic turret press.
Bob T
Old November 29, 2008, 12:18 AM   #5
rwilson452

I have owned a total of 4 Lee presses. the first was the turret. My 2nd was the LoadMaster. 3rd was the Classic Cast. the last was the classic turret. I gave the original turret to a friend that wanted to start reloading. I don't miss it one bit.

in case your wondering. I do all my rifle loading on the Classic Cast. I do pistol load development on the classic turret, yes I use a FCD in the 4th station. the loadmaster is for big runs of established loads of pistol ammo. The trouble is I'm always looking for a better load. Ah, boys and their toys..

Now that I have an AR I suspect when I find the load I like I will use the classic turret for pumping out larger quantities of .223 for the AR.
I'm sort of anal retentive about rifle ammo I trim every time. and all that stuff. On advise of others I full length resize all ammo for the AR. so the loadmaster is not the way to go.

I have been scrounging LC brass for the AR
Old November 29, 2008, 12:41 AM   #6
benzuncle

dd, try this: go to the Midway website and bring up the Lee Classic Turret Press. Read the owner reviews. This is one of the things that convinced me to buy the Classic Turret Press. I ended up looking at all of the vendors listed on the Lee Precision website. I chose Kempf Gun Shop for several reasons:
1. Because they had it in a kit form
2. They offered upgrades that were definitely what I wanted (the Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure & the Safety Prime System for large and small calibers)
3. They had the other things needed like a bullet puller, a scale and a tumbler setup
4. They had everything in stock and could ship it to me quickly. (Once you make up your mind to reload and specifically what you want to load it with, you want your stuff NOW!)

I have since added another caliber; all that takes is the carbide dies, another 4-hole turret and for me, the round red box to store it in. I have also added a bar charge for powder. This does not work on smaller caliber charges. I use it for certain 45acp loads. Good luck to you. Wait til you fire that first round you built! That crap-eatin' grin is gonna look good on your mug.
Old November 29, 2008, 02:30 AM   #7
ah141nj

Quote:
go to the Midway website and bring up the Lee Classic Turret Press. Read the owner reviews. This is one of the things that convinced me to buy the Classic Turret Press. I ended up looking at all of the vendors listed on the Lee Precision website. I chose Kempf Gun Shop for several reasons:
1. Because they had it in a kit form
Cabela's also had the kit form & probably a little cheaper. For accessories in stock try https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/..cheaper than midway
There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
-- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997
Old November 29, 2008, 08:20 AM   #8
.45 Vet

(D.Manley) To be honest, I don't know why Lee even offers the other any more.
Maybe to clear-out old inventory...

Last edited by .45 Vet; November 29, 2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old November 29, 2008, 10:58 AM   #9
10 Spot Terminator

Keep your eyes open when you go to purchase the Lee classic turret as it has been upgraded recently and the new model has improvements more desireable over the earlier models and some outlets are still selling the older ones. The new ones have a stronger frame and ram, the arm has been redesigned, if comes complete it has the "Pro Auto Disc" powder measure and I believe the riser adaptor normally sold as an accessory to allow use of dies taller than Lees such as RCBS etc.,,, If you are looking at a picture of the unit they are easily told apart as the new model has a round black steel rod for the arm and the older one a silver cast configuration. The older ones come with the earlier model powder measure as well and are not quite as good. 10 SPOT
Old November 29, 2008, 11:17 AM   #10
CortJestir

Good to know 10 Spot. Thanks for the info.
Old November 29, 2008, 11:31 AM   #11
MDS

Can I ask a question? I have the Turret press. I don't like the index rod Mine is too easy to "get out of time" The Classic looks much larger and stronger. Is it? Thanks.
Old November 29, 2008, 12:54 PM   #12
rwilson452

yes, and the timing adjustment requires two wrenches to adjust because it's really stiff. locktight or some such stuff on the adjustment nut. I set mine once and it hasn't moved since.

Quote:
Can I ask a question? I have the Turret press. I don't like the index rod Mine is too easy to "get out of time" The Classic looks much larger and stronger. Is it? Thanks.