The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 16, 2014, 05:11 PM   #1
michaelcj

Recommend bedding compound?

Looking for recommendations on what bedding compound to use.

Last one I did was years [decades?] ago and I used accuraglass.

I just started the final inletting on a 1903A3 action that I had barreled in 7x57.

Stock is "classic" style, as is the whole project [Think Sedgley]

Only need enough for this one project so…suggestions on any "newer" compound that can be easily found in small quantities?

Mike
Old August 16, 2014, 06:34 PM   #2
Bart B.

Competitive shooters like Devcon plastic steel or MarineTex; both shrink the least when cured and hard. Mix a little cooking flour with it so it's not so runny.

Ace Hardware usually has Devcon in stock.
Old August 16, 2014, 08:51 PM   #3
michaelcj

Thanks Bart. M
Old August 16, 2014, 09:30 PM   #4
tangolima

I like devcon steel putty.

-TL
Old August 16, 2014, 09:32 PM   #5
hoghunting

Many people also use Acraglas as it was made specifically for bedding:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1054.aspx
Old August 16, 2014, 09:35 PM   #6
mete

My 45 year old rifles have Acraglas bedding that is in perfect condition !!
Old August 16, 2014, 10:42 PM   #7
Scorch

I recommend Acraglas or Acraglas Gel, both for availability and ease of use. They may not be the "best", but they are very, very good.

Acragals was not invented for glass bedding, it is a marine grade epoxy resin used in boat building, private labeled for Brownells' and widely distributed. Heck, you can even find it at WalMart in Sporting Goods!
Old August 16, 2014, 10:54 PM   #8
10-96

I like Marine-Tex, but I like the way Acraglass gel gets shipped with color/dye included.

A couple of weeks ago, I came across a box of Acraglass that was well past it's shelf life. That stuff acts weird when it's old. I was only going to use it as a stiffener/filler in a 1st generation Savage Axis stock (yes, the one that was about as stiff as a wet noodle). For some reason, the stuff expanded around the edges and bubbled up.

Marine-Tex and Devcon may have a shelf life too. But at least I now know what expired Acraglass will do.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 17, 2014, 04:35 AM   #9
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Mix a little cooking flour with it so it's not so runny.
Bart, that sounds like the recipe for Bondo.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:43 PM   #10
Bart B.

I did some tests years ago with a dozen or so bedding epoxies. Two steel flats clamped on 1/4" precision pins with a blob of epoxy between them. Release agent was Simonize car wax rubbed as thin as possible on the flats. After 2 days of curing, Devcon plastic steel and MarineTex tied and had shrunk the least. Bisonite was a close second. Accuraglass shrunk the most.
Old August 17, 2014, 01:16 PM   #11
Clark

I use Devcon steel putty.
Don't buy a lifetime supply.
Put a date on it when you get it.
Maybe you can use it 5 years old, but not 10 years.
Boeing labels the Devcon and throws it out soon.
Store it in the house. If it is mixed when cold it never gets hard. If it is too old it never gets hard.
I get it from Brownells.
Just about any epoxy is good for 20ksi in compression.
But I pay much more $ to get Devcon steel putty so I will not have to fight time nor gravity.
The epoxy at Home Depot is cheap, but it goes off fast and runs out of the rifle like water.
I have modeling clay to use as a dam, but I like foam rubber better.

Before glass bedding or pillar bedding, practice assembling and disassembly while imagining it is dripping with epoxy that you do not want to get on you.

Before you put epoxy in a $400 stock, practice bedding some old beater guns with $5 stocks from the gun show.

Use masking tape and put release agent on the outside of the masking tape. I used to use die wax, but I now realize I often want to be able easily dissolve the release agent later. So I am now painting on 5W motor oil as a release agent on the masking tape.

There are two schools of thought on glass bedding; 1) touch everywhere, 2) touch only behind the recoil lug and in two little rings around the action screws.

I think Bart is in the first school and I know I am in the second school.
In any case, you have to plan on how the barrelled action and stock are going to separate. The first one I did, the stock was captured.. and I had to break the stock in little pieces to get it off.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 17, 2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Actually Devcon shrinks so little that I repaired an axle bearing seat with it. I bought a Bronco that had a 'repaired' rear-end, and what they did was put a bearing race in a wallowed out housing. After it went out, I disassembled it, packed the wallowed seat with Devcon, placed the race in that, re-assembled it, then let it set and cure. It ran for another 50,000 miles, until I sold it.

At our shop, we did similar things on wallowed out holes for bushings, and bearing seats in heavy machinery. Here, we built them up undersize with Devcon, then bored them back out, and placed new races or bushings in them. That stuff works.

Devcon:

Flexural Yield Strength: 5600 psi

Compressive Yield Strength: 8260 psi

It's actually as good as or better than some aluminum.

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; August 17, 2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old August 17, 2014, 02:25 PM   #13
Slamfire

Quote:
Last one I did was years [decades?] ago and I used accuraglass.
Accuraglass still works well in applications where you are filling cracks, or need the epoxy to migrate into place.

In my opinion, the best epoxies are the Devcon stainless or aluminum filled.

These cure to an amazing hardness and when mixed, have the consistency of peanut butter.

Used Tex marine, gray for the pillars and white for the bedding, on a Ruger

I have used a lot of Bisonite, still an excellent choice for Garands/M1a’s. Used Bisonite in casting pillars in a M700, then once the wood was routed out, poured Bisonite in the voids.

Old August 17, 2014, 04:40 PM   #14
tangolima

I have tried scorehi and devcon steel putty. Scorehi is good, but devcon is better. I use it a lot other than bedding, including building up front sight post.

One thing to watch out; the mixing ratio is NOT 1:1 as in other epoxies. 4:1 black to white, or it will take much long to cure, and you will run out the white much too soon.

-TL
Old August 26, 2014, 09:16 PM   #15
HiBC

Much of the shrinkage is about the percentage of solid filler.The steel,or glass,or aluminum has zero shrink.A 50% fill will give 1/2 the shrink of straight resin.

If you should trap a stack of filler,it becomes a solid shim.That matters if you are patching a void or working in stages.What you do not want in your final result is the receiver stressed over a high spot.

Likewise,the thickness of the bedding compound dictates the total amount of shrink..A 1/8 in thick layer of compound will pull twice the linear shrink a 1/16 layer of compound will.

My opinion,given it is a vicious kicking,stock breaking 7x57.and our OP is a home hobbyist

I'd suggest Accraglas gel.It does not run.

Its very friendly and forgiving to use.It has a friendly work time,and cleans up with vinegar.

I suggest a two stage process,step one,just clearance a little around the rear tang and guard screw,and then choose a feature in the front to position the front of the receiver.that could be the sides and bottom of the recoil lug,to clearance.

If you bed these two small areas,you have established the height and centering of the receiver in the stock.Now,without changing these surfaces,you can go back and clearance all that you want to bed.I suggest a scribe line all around the outside of the receiver to work to,and .030 might be good.I'd use a Bridgeport if available,but other than that,very sharp carving chisels,scrapers made of feeler gage stock(grind them to shape,leave a burr,drag the burr .The burr is the cutting edge)

Use the same care you would if you were hand inletting a stock to create about .020 to 050 space around the receiver,if you want a full bed job.

With the pads you have created in step one,you can reassemble the rifle as if it were pillar bedded,the receiver suspended in correct position with clearance all around.

That's not a full lesson,but it is one way to start.

IMO,a good option is to do the front receiver ring ,recoil lug,and the flat floor between the mag well and recoil lug.I'd also do the rear tang under the rear ring up to the mag well.After those cure,I'd use Prussian blue high spot and scrapers to make sure nothing else was high,as to stress the receiver.
Old August 28, 2014, 07:02 AM   #16
Picher

I've used about everything out there for bedding materials over 50+ years. They all work, but some work better, as mentioned. If areas around pillars are kept to a relatively thin, say 1/8" or less, and uniform depth, shrinkage is not as much a factor as if there were deep areas and thin areas.

Some better gunsmiths use several layers of bedding material to avoid shrinkage problems. Most set pillars first, then rout out other areas to uniform depth. I've done it both ways with good results.

I like the thicker ones like Devcon for most bedding work, but for repairing cracked stocks and oil-weakened buttstocks, nothing beats Acraglas, because it runs into thin cracks and comes with dye to match wood colors. Some people even put the dye on the surface to match woodgrains. I also use chopped fiberglass insulation for a filler, to increase Acraglas viscosity. It helps quite a bit to minimize flow and adds compressive strength.
Old August 28, 2014, 09:06 AM   #17
natman

Quote:
Many people also use Acraglas as it was made specifically for bedding:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1054.aspx
Those one shot kits are a neat idea, but Brownells wants more for one than this kit which will do a dozen guns:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1038.aspx

Either way Acraglas GEL is an excellent choice for bedding material. It's the perfect consistency (like warm peanut butter) and dries slowly for lots of work time.
Old August 29, 2014, 12:35 AM   #18
michaelcj

Thanks HiBC…all good points and I have used Accraglass in the past, if fact I probably have a 15 year old unopened "kit" somewhere [ yup, I'll get fresh stuff].

Your " 2 stage" advice is great and I hadn't thought of that before.

I am a "home hobbyist" but build stringed instruments so well stocked and experienced with chisels and scrapers…. unfortunately no Bridgeport.

And HEY stop dissing my sissy gun!

Mike

Last edited by michaelcj; August 29, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old August 8, 2016, 09:27 PM   #19
uwmac

Hi all I'm new to the forum but experienced with bedding for accuracy. I just wanted to add a couple comments for anyone researching the topic. If you are researching bedding alternatives, any well engineered product will have data based on following the mixing instructions.

Volume shrinkage: is the change in volume of a compound after it is cured. The lower this number is, the better the compound acts as a molding material, and that's the point to make a tight molded fit to your rifle.

Compressive strength: most glass bedding is loaded in compression. The higher the compressive strength, the more resistant the material will be to deformation upon torquing or recoil. Fiber fillers and ceramic or glass floc increase this characteristic more than steel because they have strength many times higher than steels (and probably bond better with the epoxy matrix)

Resistance to solvents: most thermoset polymers (epoxies that heat up or cure under heat) cure by cross linking to form stable mollecules. This process promotes better solvent resistance and is why devcon, acraglass,etc are used in this application.

The above characteristics are vitally important to the makeup of a good bedding compound. There are many alternatives available for consumers but you will not find them in the hardware store. Instead do an online search for "mold making" or composite materials suppliers. Add the strongest fibers fibers to the highest strength lowest shrinkage thermoset you can find, and you will have a superb bedding material.

Food for thought: most bedding compounds are very dense and add weight to the rifle system. What if a low density ceramic could be utilized for bedding? Light weight and ultra strong??
Old August 8, 2016, 09:56 PM   #20
tangolima

Devcon steel putty.

-TL
Old August 9, 2016, 08:12 AM   #21
tobnpr

Two year old thread...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 10, 2016, 12:15 AM   #22
uwmac

The thread is old but Google pulls it in quickly upon searching for bedding compounds. To my suprise very little is understood about the what or why of glass bedding. This is a technical issue, and rather than patronize those without technical resources, I'd rather leave some info for the next guy, as I'm sure this technology is basically unchanged since 2 years ago.
Old August 10, 2016, 12:45 AM   #23
HiBC

uwmac,you are a new member.Welcome!!

Sometimes,thread "necromancy" is discouraged.It does happen that folks dig up old threads when there is not much merit to them.

And,I did notice it was a resurrected thread.2014.I let that go,as you had a job to do,and what was good in 2014 is good today,as you said.No problem.

It seldom fails that when some members notice it is an old thread,they will point out it is an old thread.

If its an old thread about "Hey,I got a bore snake stuck in mt barrel and it broke,and no one has heard from the guy in two years...well,yeah,let it rest in peace.He probably does not need suggestions.

You did fine.Good luck with your bed job.Don't forget release agent!!! Fill any undercuts I found sculptures pattern wax to be ideal.
Old August 10, 2016, 04:46 AM   #24
Mozella

"Actually Devcon shrinks so little that I repaired an axle bearing seat with it. I bought a Bronco that had a 'repaired' rear-end, and what they did was put a bearing race in a wallowed out housing. After it went out, I disassembled it, packed the wallowed seat with Devcon, placed the race in that, re-assembled it, then let it set and cure. It ran for another 50,000 miles, until I sold it."

Next time you do that, try one of the LocTite Bearing Mount products. They make several types depending on how well the bearing fits, temperature, etc.

Thee are thousands of one and two part adhesives on the market. Chances are some company has a product designed for your EXACT application. Over the years I've found that using the correct product works best.

Hint to anyone wanting to bed a stock: Avoid products that come in two little tubes available in the "Misc. Household" section of your local supermarket, or any product which takes less than several hours to cure. Devcon 10110 is hard to beat for bedding stocks. This is NOT the same Devcon product available in two tubes in a bubble pack at your local Quick Mart.
Old August 10, 2016, 05:04 PM   #25
uwmac

Hey thanks!

With a background in engineering and composites, I hate to be stingy with knowledge. I was creeping around the forums to see if anyone had uncovered stuff any better than the old stand bys. Although it works great, no argument there are way better fillers available than steel dust/shavings. Brownells doesn't manufacture acraglass or the gel. Some of the composites sites online have very comparable(if not exactly the same)products in larger quantities for a fraction of the price per unit. If it's for a wooden boat or a carbon fiber mold somehow it gets priced lower than when it's for a hunting rifle.