The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 16, 2012, 08:11 PM   #76
Dragline45

Quote:
The extra $300-500 for Sigs and HKs is supposed to mean you get a higher pedigree of gun. Flawless function, of course, but also an expert fit and finish and careful, detail-oriented assembly.
Exactly. When I buy a Ruger, which are great guns by the way, I don't expect perfect fit and finish. But every Ruger I have ever owned have worked flawlessly, and are very accurate to boot. With that extra $200-500 I spend on a Sig I expect better fit and finish and attention to detail. I shouldn't have to go over my Sig 232 with wet-dry to remove tooling marks and re-blast the gun with glass bead to get it to how it should look. As I mentioned before my PPK that my father now owns, which is a cheaper alternative to the Sig 232, has much better fit and finish and costs about $150-200 less.
Old December 16, 2012, 08:43 PM   #77
TunnelRat

Quote:
IMHO what matters most is reliability - Accuracy , and then external Looks.

The machining marks and the spotty internal finish do NOT
affect the function of the weapon.

With the gun assembled you can't even SEE THEM.

If you feel you didn't get you moneys worth
BUY A DIFFERENT BRAND.
I agree that accuracy and function are the most important. But let's keep something in mind. It was (this thread is over a year old) a $900 handgun. If all I wanted was function I could have gotten a $400 FNP that would have functioned great. I have owned over two dozen handguns. Some were new at $450, used at $350, and as expensive as $1000. That SIG was the only one to have blemishes in the finish, and it was easily twice the price of similar performing models.

As far as spending my money, I did take that advice. I don't buy new SIGs anymore, only older used ones. Somehow they got the finish right back then (and on every new polymer wonder I now own too).
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 17, 2012, 08:08 AM   #78
geetarman

I never had a Sig until after the first Obama election. That means my guns are relatively new. The frames are made in Germany and the slide in Exeter.

I have 6 of them. Three Elites and three Nitron. Two P220s, two P226s and one P229 and the newest one is the TacPac 1911.

The only gun that was in stock at the time I bought my first one was the P229.
It may have been there a while. The others I bought as they came in. I have not run the serial numbers to see when they were actually completed.

I have only had an issue with unusual barrel scoring on the P220 Elite. Sig fixed that problem and the issue went away.

Mine seem to be put together just fine and they run great.

The P220 Elite and the P229 Elite are my favorites.

The only guns I own that feel better in the hand are the 1911s. . .so I shoot the TacPac 1911 quite a bit.

That gun has never had a stoppage and the trigger is very good. The slide to frame fit is not as tight as a DW or a Smith and Wesson 1911E, but it is very close and for quite a bit less money.

I have a DW Valor that is VERY close. . .as a result it will fail to feed if not run pretty wet. It is loosening up and will run better when it gets a few more rounds through it.

Carpe Cerveza
Old December 17, 2012, 09:18 AM   #79
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I have a DW Valor that is VERY close. . .as a result it will fail to feed if not run pretty wet. It is loosening up and will run better when it gets a few more rounds through it.
Similar issue when my Springfield TRP was new. Would have maybe 2 stoppages per 50 rounds until I got over 300-400 rounds through it.

Sometimes the extractor wouldn't let go of the casing, sometime a fail to chamber.

I know some people say break in periods aren't a reality... and for the loose tolerance guns like Glocks(which I love) and the like.. they aren't. For guns that are hand fit to tight tolerances, they most definitely can be. That doesn't mean it's not a quality gun.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:04 PM   #80
r3drang3r

To AKsRule

You have got to be kidding....right.

Because it is not an exposed problem that makes it OK.

I looked at a Stoeger Cougar that cost less than $400 and the finish was a beautiful Bruniton finish. Applied with pride of workmanship. This Sig is almost $1,000 and it looks like [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]. I have never seen a gun where the manufacturer could not apply finish to the entire surface. That's just plain Lazyness and a pathetic excuse that they can't cover a small area. It seems no one else has a problem putting finish on 100% of their products.

The fact that you and people like you accept this is the reason it continues. If people stopped buying this crap how long do you think it would take before a change came about.

I can't believe they have this in their FAQ's. Now that is really Pathetic.

This is just plain unacceptable and we the people do not accept this poor standard of work. I wonder if the President of Sig drives a Car that has only half a paint job??
Old December 17, 2012, 03:05 PM   #81
whippoorwill

From my limited experience, Sig considers various issues "acceptable" that I would deem otherwise. It's too bad some folks, including me, weren't aware before buying. I suppose that's one of the things that forums can be somewhat helpful with.
Old December 17, 2012, 05:22 PM   #82
10mm4ever

I have to absolutely agree with Seed's earlier post. There's nothing better than an original w.german SIG and you can still find them lnib for about HALF the price of the sub par stuff that exeter has been producing. Sadly, I see SIG no differently than Taurus these days.
Old December 17, 2012, 05:32 PM   #83
thedudeabides

I've owned more than my fair share of Sigs, at one point I believed them to be the end-all of gun ownership.

What began to steer me away from the company was the declining fit and finish, newer Sigs didn't look or feel as good as older ones. All of them still worked, but they didn't look as good, operate as smoothly, or feel as solid. Half of the company's catalog now seems to be plastic and/or ultrasubcompact crap for first time CCWers who can't be bothered to get a proper holster and belt. Metal gun development has pretty much fallen by the wayside with the only new items coming out being Tacticool variants of their venerable P22X line (and stainless frame variants becoming harder and harder to find) with no real advancements except for the SRT trigger or a smallish grip. The 1911 experiment is an offshoot and is another thread altogether.

Worse yet, new guns are rolled out without adequate product testing (P238 safety debacle, P290 triggers, Gen 1 P250s), consumer gripes are more of the norm, "good enough" is the new mantra... I have a 10 year old steel P220 that looks and feels better than any new alloy one on the market today.

The only "exciting" new product they're rolling out is a double stack P220... Really? Hopefully it won't have any problems.