The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2006, 10:57 PM   #1
Kelly J

Chronographs

I'm going to be looking for a good Chronograph to use in my load development, I don't want a expensive one but I do want a good one that will work indoors or out if possible, all the pertinent readouts, maybe even one that can print out a hard copy of the shooting event, with a summary of the results.

Does this critter exist?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"
--Samuel Adams
Old June 1, 2006, 11:04 PM   #2
Wrangler5

I believe the bargains are the Shooting Chronys, which come in a variety of flavors at different price points, with and without printers. I have the Gamma Master (most memory, plus a printer) which was on sale at Midway at some point for under $200 (there's almost always one model or another on sale there) and have found it to be invaluable despite its quirky button control sequences. I have the impression there is an indoor illumination system available for it, but can't be sure.
Old June 2, 2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Kelly J

Wrangler5

Thanks for the info I will check it out.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"
--Samuel Adams
Old June 2, 2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Swamp_Fox

I use a CED Millinium. I down load my data to the computer and can print from there.

http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object29
Bits of flesh dropped off them from time to time.
And sank into the pool's mire.
They also smelt a great deal.

Paula Nacy Millstone Jennings
Old June 2, 2006, 04:59 PM   #5
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
I'll be getting a CED

And returning the PACT XP Professional to Cabelas. Took it out twice, it started obviously erroneous readings then quit working, all within 5 strings of using it. I figure if I keep it, each string cost me around $45.00 to chrono.

I called the Customer Service Dept. for PACT and asked for a RMA, thinking it would go back to them. The 'service rep' never even questioned why I was dissatified with the product, nor offered to bring it in under warranty (it's two days old at that point). Combine that with an anemic printer and the manual that's a joke even by Chinese standards (if you want a real challenge, read the manuals that come with some electronics for computers from Taiwan or China - rotsa ruck...), and I'm wholly underwelmed by PACTs quality.

It's on it's way back to Cabelas...next stop, CED...
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old June 2, 2006, 05:02 PM   #6
Edward429451

I've used my Shooting Chrony indoors. Put the diffusers on it and hang a regular clamp light above it a foot or two and it will work fine.
Old June 2, 2006, 07:26 PM   #7
Hook686

I use the Shooting Chrony Alpha Master ... I saw no need to pay $100 for a printer and memory to store multiple strings of data. One string at a time is adequate for me and I prefer to write down the average and standard deviation only, for a string. The chrony has worked just fine, except for the time I switched from my revolver to the scoped Marlin lever gun. The Chrony did not record the bullet I put into it (I forgot the extra sight height needed to compensate for the scope added).

Other than that, I think it a very useful and necessary tool if you handload.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old June 3, 2006, 07:23 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

make a PACT

Had mine for years (and years); works.

MOST HIGHLY RECOMMEND a chronograph with skyscreens separate from brains.

CED is verygood (and they've donated our match chrono for the AWARE Invitational five years running).

You WILL shoot your chrono.
Old June 3, 2006, 11:14 AM   #9
amamnn

chrony

After going through a couple of different chronographs, I currently use the Shooting Chrony Beta Master sans printer. With the master, I can plug it into my computer at home, and dump all the strings and inrfo into the shooting chrony ballistics II program. I believe that the same can be done with all the master versions. I settled on the beta because it will store 6 ten shot strings. I like the master, because the readout and brains of the outfit sits on the bench with you.
What happened to my other chronogrphs? One (an Oheler) I lent to a friend who dropped it and it never worked right again. I decided that I would get a cheaper one the second time and bought a Shooting Chrony beta, which I sold to get the master rather than trading it in, which Shooting Chrony will let you do..
Old June 3, 2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Smokey Joe

Chronograph

Kelly J--I like the Shooting Chrony Gamma Master. That's the one with all the bells & whistles, which include printing up each shot's velocity as you shoot, then, on command, doing all the math and spitting out a hard copy of the max, min, average velocity, variation from max to min, and standard deviation for the string of shots.

Got it on sale, thought it was overkill, but boy, is it nice to have all that. As noted earlier, it's good to have the brains of the thing up with you on the firing line, so that if you DO shoot the sensor unit, it's less $$$ to replace.

Another good idea is to replace the metal stakes that hold up the screens above the sensors, with thin dowels. If you shoot the metal stake it'll break the plastic socket it sits in. A thin dowel will just shatter, itself, and I carry spares so as to just replace the dowel in question and continue.

--Smokey Joe
Old June 3, 2006, 07:33 PM   #11
JNewell

I also had a couple of chronos but have most recently settled on the Chrony Gamma and call me lazy and stupid but I like being able to print out the tape at the range and write down what load, etc. right then. The suggestion about the wood dowels is good - I have done the same.

I managed to buy the Gamma while it was on sale at Midway for a very attractive price, which was nice.
Old June 3, 2006, 10:20 PM   #12
cheygriz

Been using Oehlers for about 30 years now. Doubt I'll ever use anything else.

The factories, commercial reloaders and ballistic labs all use Oehlers.
Old June 3, 2006, 10:35 PM   #13
rwilson452

Chrony Chronographs

I too have the Gamma Master. If I remember correctly the Beta has most of the stuff the Gamma has but the Gamma has more memory for recording shots. you can download the manuals from Chrony's web site and check the differences.
Old June 4, 2006, 09:18 AM   #14
brselman

What about the chrony f1 for those of use who don't have a lot of money to spend?
Old June 4, 2006, 09:57 AM   #15
Ammo Junky

+1 for the gama master
+1 for the crazy, ridiculus way the controls work. Not a problem in the long run, but it does stretch out the learning curve a lot!
I recomend replacing the sky screen rods with 3/16" dowels. They snap if hit and don't transfer the force to the sensors. I don't use the sky screens at all.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old June 4, 2006, 02:27 PM   #16
JNewell

Quote:
What about the chrony f1 for those of use who don't have a lot of money to spend?
Basically the Chronys are all the same. It's like a car...more money, more options. Or maybe a computer is a better analogy...more money --> more memory, a printer, etc. I will say that having the control head separate from the sensors is a very, very good investment if you use the Chrony at a range which you use when other shooters are using the range, IMO.
Old June 4, 2006, 09:33 PM   #17
Kelly J

Swamp_Fox,

I am leaning very much toward the CED units, I think they offer the bells and whistels I'm looking for.
--Samuel Adams
Old June 4, 2006, 09:35 PM   #18
Kelly J

Highpowering Along

I gather from your glowing report that the Pac is not on your list of must buy items.
--Samuel Adams
Old June 4, 2006, 09:38 PM   #19
Kelly J

Edward429451

When you said indoors are you refering to a public indoor range, if so how did you get set up, did the range shut down while you set up or did you get access prior to regular shooting hours?
--Samuel Adams
Old June 4, 2006, 09:43 PM   #20
Kelly J

Hook686

The reason I am leaning toward the CED unit is that the Vitals are out of the line of fire, this is not saying that you can't hit it and cause damage but that the repair cost might be less if you do connect.
--Samuel Adams
Old June 4, 2006, 09:47 PM   #21
Kelly J

Weshoot2

I un derstand completely about getting the brains out of the line of fire which is why I am leanning more and more to the CED.
--Samuel Adams
Old June 4, 2006, 09:53 PM   #22
Kelly J

amamnn

I am trying to choose a Chronograph that I won't have to change for any reason unless I want to update it, I have always lived with the thought process that my Dad instilled into me, "Buy the best you can afford" and it will serve you until you want a change.
--Samuel Adams
Old June 4, 2006, 09:55 PM   #23
Kelly J

Smokey Joe

That is some of the things I think I want in the unit I deside to but I'm not that sold on the Chrony line.
--Samuel Adams
Old June 4, 2006, 09:59 PM   #24
Kelly J

JNewell

It seems that Midway and Cabela's is the place to catch sales, do they handel thr CED unit I havn't had time to look yet?
--Samuel Adams
Old June 4, 2006, 10:02 PM   #25
Kelly J

cheygriz

I heard that they were going out of business, at least I'm pretty sure that's what I heard.
--Samuel Adams