The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 22, 2013, 02:58 PM   #1
armed_librarian

My First Revolver

I went to the range today with a friend with the intent of putting a few rounds through a revolver he owns and potentially buying. Well a couple hours later and I now own a S&W Model 67 38 special. I've only been shooting for maybe two years now and all that as been with semi auto handguns and rifles. I can count on one hand how many times I've fired a revolver and pretty happy I finally own one.

Does anyone have an input, advice, or anything else that a first time revolver owner might need to know? Care or maintenance that might be different from other gun styles, any particular style of grip or stance to consider, anything along those lines? Being new to this I want to make sure I cover my bases.

One last thing. I paid $200 with 50 rounds of ammo. I don't think it has been fired much, but it does have some scuff marks. Looks as though it didn't spend much time in a case. I have polished it since I took the picture and the grime seen near the hammer came right off. Not too concerned with value. I bought it cause it shot well for me and I've wanted one, but I've still gotta ask. How did I do?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382471680.952871.jpg
Old October 22, 2013, 03:18 PM   #2
jimbob86

Dry fire to improve your accuracy with the DA trigger pull.
Old October 22, 2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Yankee Doodle

You done gooder 'n good.
Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire range time range time.
That's just about all it takes.
Old October 22, 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
armed_librarian

My First Revolver

Thanks! That made me think of a question. Are revolvers okay to dry fire without snap caps?
Old October 22, 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Yankee Doodle

S & W says yes. I use them anyway.
Old October 22, 2013, 05:50 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Congrats! You did well! Revolvers are like dogs though . . . just one gets lonely . . . . you have to have more than one so they have somebody to play with!

Sounds like you've discoveed the fun of wheel guns - you're going to have lots of fun with that Smith!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 22, 2013, 06:22 PM   #7
g.willikers

Check out Jerry Miculek's videos on how to shoot revolvers.
They can be found on his web site, and youtube and liveleak videos.
http://www.bang-inc.com/
Old October 22, 2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Buzzcook

$200? Your friend must like you a lot.

What you have is the stainless version of the Model 15 which is in turn the adjustable site version of the Model 10.

The secret isn't really a secret, it's trigger control. Pulling the trigger a lot will help.
Old October 22, 2013, 10:13 PM   #9
jimbob86

Quote:
The secret isn't really a secret, it's trigger control. Pulling the trigger a lot will help.
This. A well toned trigger finger is the key to DA accuracy.
Old October 22, 2013, 10:48 PM   #10
armed_librarian

My First Revolver

I have a HK USPc that's DA/SA. I've spent quite a bit of range time firing round after round in double action only (using the decocker to drop the hammer after every round) since I carry it on a daily basis with the hammer down. I have a feeling I'm going to be happy I spent some time doing this. The trigger on the Smith is so much smoother than the DA pull on the USP. Not to mention the SA pull on the Smith which is almost a surprise every time.
Old October 22, 2013, 11:02 PM   #11
DaleA

I usually tell new shooters to join a league at their gun range. Most ranges have them and you’ll meet interesting people, shoot on a regular basis and have a spur to improve your shooting as well as an objective measurement of your skill.

The only down side is the price of ammunition now days might be prohibitive or the rare (very rare) chance that the league you join might be populated with jerks. the solution there is easy, find another league.

Almost always you’ll be able to pick up some tips about shooting and just share a good time with others that enjoy the same thing you do.
Old October 23, 2013, 01:26 AM   #12
Crazy88Fingers

Re: My First Revolver

The only revolver warnings I can think of are...

1. Keep your fingers behind the front face of the cylinder. A lot of nasty stuff comes shooting out of that cylinder gap and if your finger is in the wrong place you'll know real quick.

2. Don't swing the cylinder open or shut. Use your fingers to open and close it. You don't have to baby it, but don't abuse it either.

Aside from that there isn't much to know. Clean the bore and chambers regularly. Don't forget to get under the ejector star. Make sure the ejector rod isn't coming loose (it's left hand threaded) and pop the side plate off once every thirty years or so for routine cleaning.

Finally: $200 for a functioning Smith with a pinned barrel sounds too good to be true. Are you sure it isn't haunted or something? :sly:
Old October 23, 2013, 11:05 AM   #13
Colt46

Fantastic gun

Wasn't called the 'Combat Masterpiece' for nothing.
My buddy has the blued version(m-15) that I've been trying to pry outta him for years.
$200? Did you hold a loaded gun to his head during the transaction
Old October 23, 2013, 11:14 AM   #14
armed_librarian

My First Revolver

Dale, I had considered a league but unfortunately the two ranges close to me currently don't have anything going on. There is a gun club about an hour away from me that I had looked into, but between work and my college classes, I just don't have the time.

Haunted? I sure do hope not. Nah, he said it's been sitting in his safe for so long it hasn't seen the light of day in years. And he knows I'm not gonna turn around and try and make a profit off of him.
Old October 23, 2013, 11:03 PM   #15
DaleA

Too bad about no organized competition nearby.

In my day a lot of colleges had rifle and pistol teams and they were not limited to just the ROTC students, anybody could join.
Old October 24, 2013, 07:48 AM   #16
dahermit

Quote:
I paid $200 with 50 rounds of ammo.
Wow! And a pre-lock too...you did not buy that gun, it was more like stole it. Very envious!
Old October 24, 2013, 08:06 AM   #17
amd6547

I have the blued Model 15 version...it is one of the finest revolvers made for self defense.
I can't seem to miss with it.
Old October 24, 2013, 01:46 PM   #18
Sevens

Add me to the list-- you got a fantastic price on what amounts to a painfully awesome revolver! List the first 3 digits of the serial number and we can likely get you the year it was born.

Since you are not a new shooter, simply new to revolvers, here's the best tip I can come up with: learn to handload!

Back in the day, the .38 Special was -the- most popular centerfire caliber on the planet. Ammo was made by the metric tonnage and prices were low. Sometime between the 80's and 90's, the 9mm pushed it aside as the "most popular" and these days, .38 Special ammo isn't as low in cost as, well, it "oughta be."

.38 Special, is, in my opinion, the single BEST cartridge for a brand new handloader, bar none, and for many, many reasons.

It's the best one out there to learn on for handloading and it can really save you a heap of dough. And you might find yourself a phenomenal new hobby along the way.

The title of this thread may be "My First Revolver", but you HAVE to know that it may just as well say... "the first of many!"
Old October 24, 2013, 03:58 PM   #19
aarondhgraham

You got a great deal,,,

Your Model 67 is the stainless steel version of the Model 15 Combat Masterpiece,,,
Many people consider the Combat Masterpiece to be the finest .38 Special revolver ever made.

I own a 15 and a 67 like yours,,,
It's an extremely functional handgun,,,
With just the most basic of care it will last forever.

Now get yourself a nice range holster for it,,,

And get thee to the shooting range.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 24, 2013, 03:58 PM   #20
armed_librarian

My First Revolver

Sevens, reloading is something I've been thinking about getting into. I shoot a lot of .308 and it gets expensive. This revolver will give me a good reasons to finally buy a press.

My model 67 does not have the dash following the 67 and the serial number is 3K6xxxx.
Old October 24, 2013, 04:01 PM   #21
armed_librarian

My First Revolver

Aaron, thanks for the response. What kind of holster is that. I love the look along with the wood grips.

I have to admit, I'm kinda surprised by all the awesome feedback. I bought the gun not knowing much about it other than I shot it well. Pretty excited to hear all these great things about it.
Old October 29, 2013, 10:00 AM   #22
aarondhgraham

Oops,,,

Oops! Double post.

Old October 29, 2013, 10:02 AM   #23
aarondhgraham

Hello armed librarian,,,

Quote:
What kind of holster is that. I love the look along with the wood grips.
That is one I made for a lady friend of mine,,,
She inherited a nickel-plated S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece.

That particular holster is my rendition of a style called the Tom Threepersons holster,,,
Tom Threepersons "(1889—1969) was a Cherokee lawman. He is considered to have been one of the last of what were considered to be gunfighters of the Old West, although his career did not begin until the early 20th century. He invented the "Tom Threepersons holster."

Here is a link to a maker that does them right.

Happy shooting with your Model 67.

Aarond

Old October 29, 2013, 12:15 PM   #24
jglsprings

They are easy to clean up.

Before:

After:

Commas save lives...
Old October 29, 2013, 08:19 PM   #25
lee n. field

Quote:
Thanks! That made me think of a question. Are revolvers okay to dry fire without snap caps?
By and large, with some exceptions*, yes.

*Taurus revolvers, and .22 rimfire revolvers.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "