The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2001, 06:57 PM   #26
Joe Portale

Does running the chrony over with a truck count? I did that. Yep, it was in front of a whole bunch of people. And yes, I was embarrassed.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old May 13, 2001, 11:08 PM   #27
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Sure it counts Joe. I had a friend of mine from Baton Rouge come out of the woods one day.....unload his BAR 7MM Mag. with the VERY expensive Redfield scope, lean said rig against the front right side of his 4X4. Later he got ready to drive off and you guessed it.......forgot the rifle there and it fell and he backed over it. We looked at it and it looked OK. The ground was soft and there was a perfect imprint of that rifle and scope in the ground. I advised him to take the rifle to a smitty even though it "looked ok", I figured the barrel may be bent. Rifle was not OK. Barrel was not bent, action was. Totaled. Scope was OK though.
Old May 16, 2001, 05:02 PM   #28
HandCannon

Wounded my Pact with a 50AE slug from my Freedom Arms revolver. I'm not sure which was damaged more, the chrono or my wrist.
Old May 17, 2001, 07:53 AM   #29
pahrumpcaveman

I tore one up with a 454 casull. Got the flinches ya know.
Old May 17, 2001, 10:35 AM   #30
parachuterigger

Got a bad case of the flinches one time and put a 150gr SWC right in the middle of one of the screen stand wires on my Chrony. Bent it right in half, but the unit still worked after I tightened the bolts which shook loose.
Old May 17, 2001, 11:00 AM   #31
Alleycat

OK you guys...here's a coupla tips to help keep your chronos operational, but we're not gonna talk about how I learned 'em...

1. (this is posted earlier but bears repeating) REplace your diffuser rods with wood dowels, the lighter the better. This prevents the destruction of the chrony through hitting the rods.

2. Turn your chronograph sideways! I do a lot of evening testing, and discovered that if I set up a white background (IPSC target, posterboard, etc) so that it's in full light, and then point the chronograph sideways at it, I get better, more consistent results. Take the diffusers off (folks, the skyscreens are the receptors in the BOTTOM of the chronograph--the plastic thingies are the DIFFUSERS) but leave the dowels in to define your shooting area. This takes care of the flinch that takes out the sensors--you might get a dowel, but that's all. This works great for all chronographs that depend on available light--the white background gives good contrast for the chrono to "see" the bullet pass.

3. Set up a target.

Good luck!

Steve
Old May 18, 2001, 12:13 AM   #32
Chuck R

It was actually educational. I had (20 yrs ago) a chronograph the skyscreens for which were mounted in 3"x3"x4" aluminum boxes, with a transverse slit in the top surface for sensing. Of course it was really finicky about registering the passage of a bullet sometimes which had the effect of encouraging the shooter to shoot very close to the top of the box in order to get a reading. I shot a bit too close with a .303 Enfield one day and plugged the box from the TOP. Instead of ricocheting off, the friction between the gilding metal bullet jacket and the aluminum pulled the bullet DOWN into the box, starting as a slight graze, but within around 2" of travel, the bullet penetrated the box and came out the END of the box. The circuit board and just about everything inside the box was covered with a fine mostly transparent coating of vaporized aluminum. I cleaned it up, picking the aluminum layer off the circuit board which was otherwise undamaged and covered the holes in the box with opaque tape. It still worked. A year or so later I did it again and this time killed it for good. The company was out of business by then so I did what I should have done in the beginning, and bought an Oehler.
Old May 18, 2001, 01:51 PM   #33
Reloader

Shot twice by acquaintences.......one .22 LR throught the guts, and repaired, before I even got to shoot it. Next friend shot off the sky bars with first two shots. He paid for the replacement.