The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2013, 11:38 PM   #26
BuckRub

Lol. JJ - good info
Old October 11, 2013, 12:02 AM   #27
BuckRub

I know we all started for one reason or another. I know this poster said he's trying to save money. Good reason. If you like shooting quite a bit, if you only shoot a box or two every now and then, well it may be a century before your equip pays for itself. Some cartridges save you more reloading than others. I enjoy sitting at bench and it lets me wind down and so relaxing. I reloading on a single stage (Rockchucker ). I got into reloading before ever since I was 6-7 I knew I wanted to reload. Nobody in my family did. After I turned about 10 I had an uncle who did but never seen him. He was a shooting instructor in the marines and was in Vietnam and when we went deer hunting no one around could make the shots he did. For some reason then I always knew I wanted to do the same. I shot tons of guns ever since I was knee high. I guess was lured me was making my own ammo, making it precisely as I could and to each gun I had, and knowing it was far more accurate than any factory I could buy. Yes it does save I guess but when you buy and shoot thousands upon thousands does it ? Yes and no. I reloaded a box of 357s awhile ago, 2 boxes 38s and yesterday it was 4 boxes 40s and day before it was 4 boxes of 40s and 4 boxes of 38s. This week alone I had done ordered 2000 rds of bullets both in 38s and 40s. Yes the more you reload the more you save ! That's what I try to tell the wife anyhow I guess you could go small time but most on here probably the bug bites you and years later it all you think about. I hardly ever go to our range but when I do it just to look for brass because I shoot in my yard. I'm like a coon, will pick up any and all brass then start digging through trash cans. My wife says I've seen it all now but oh well. I've got gallon bags everywhere of sorted brass. When I shoot outside for an hour after ya get through you're on hands and knees for 30 minutes. It's just what we do !!! Welcome aboard, yea start saving. Lol
Oh, and Lost Sheep - when I'm outside and cut myself , I bleed Green.

Last edited by BuckRub; October 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old October 13, 2013, 12:24 PM   #28
Poindexter

Wow. Lostsheep's post about ten commandments ought to be stickied.

One item I would add that I haven't seen yet - at the stores around you, who carries what brands?

Sooner or later you are going to need a part tout suite. Close to me I have one Hornady dealer and three RCBS dealers. I mostly run RCBS stuff just because there are three stores I can call around to Saturday afternoon at 330 PM when I need a whachamacallit.

No slam on the other big names, I own some Lee stuff, some Hornady stuff and some Dillon stuff. I have my eye on some Forster stuff. But mostly I have RCBS stuff because of the spare part situation.