The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 23, 2011, 06:02 PM   #51
TylerD45ACP

Im not playing dead and getting popped in the back of the mellon. That is my opinion, the only time I would do it is to lull the BG into a false sense of security then fire on him with my weapon.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:26 PM   #52
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
That is my opinion, the only time I would do it is to lull the BG into a false sense of security then fire on him with my weapon.
Assuming you have a weapon. None of the kids on the island did. In fact it appears that no one on the island did.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:31 PM   #53
TylerD45ACP

Then I would just run and take my chances. Im not laying their waiting to be executed, I wil zig and zag and try not to get hit. If I do I will try and keep on going but I dont want to just lie still.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:39 PM   #54
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Then I would just run and take my chances.
The island was about 550 yards long and less than 400 yards wide. Run to where?
Quote:
I wil zig and zag and try not to get hit.
How long can you run? The shooter had about 90 minutes of free reign before authorities showed up. Some tried to swim away and he shot them in the water.

The point isn't that playing dead is ALWAYS a great option. It's that SOMETIMES it can work. It's one more tool to keep in the bag of tricks, so to speak.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:58 PM   #55
TylerD45ACP

O I know, Im not saying its not an option and hasn't worked. But, I personally would not. However the size of the island and the amount of time he had it sounds like there was nothing much they could do. Id try some type of evasion.
Old July 24, 2011, 12:06 AM   #56
Double Naught Spy

Playing dead is a type of evasion. It is a form of essentially hiding in plain sight which is a passive evasion. Shooters tend to spend their time and energy with moving live targets. Downed targets, dead or perceived as dead draw much less attention. That is why the tactic seems to show up time and time again in these situations.

It is an option, often overlooked, but an option. All options in these situations come with risks. However, the more options you have, the greater your chance of having a viable option that will help you. If your choices of options are limited by your ignorance of possibilities, then you also limit your chances for success and survival.
Old July 24, 2011, 02:57 AM   #57
MLeake

According to the reports I read, the shooter was walking around putting coups de grace via shotgun into everybody, to ensure they were all dead. Witnesses indicated that this included several who were playing dead.

Apparently, some of the swimmers got picked up by a guy from a neighboring island, who heard the noise, learned what was happening, and took his boat to the scene, to rescue those swimmers he could find. There are things a Good Samaritan can accomplish, even without a gun.

I have no idea what the water temperature was around that island, so I'm not sure how long one could expect to survive in the water before running into hypothermia issues. I'm sure that boater saved lives, though.

I'd much rather take my chances with hypothermia, 500 yards out, than with bullets and shot at close range.

So far, I have not read anything that indicates a group rush was ever attempted against the shooter. That would have cost casualties in the short run, but might have greatly reduced the overall body count. Thing is, most people aren't wired to try that.
Old July 24, 2011, 03:05 AM   #58
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
According to the reports I read, the shooter was walking around putting coups de grace via shotgun into everybody, to ensure they were all dead. Witnesses indicated that this included several who were playing dead.
I heard the same reports. What's interesting is that at least one person still managed to use the "playing dead" tactic successfully even in a situation like this one where it seemed hopless.

Also interesting is the implication that witnesses were able to tell that some who were shot a second time were playing dead. If the witnesses could tell that they were only feigning death, it seems likely that the gunman could too. I guess if you decide that's your only option, you'd better do it convincingly.
Old July 24, 2011, 08:38 AM   #59
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Quote:
I heard the same reports. What's interesting is that at least one person still managed to use the "playing dead" tactic successfully even in a situation like this one where it seemed hopless.

Also interesting is the implication that witnesses were able to tell that some who were shot a second time were playing dead. If the witnesses could tell that they were only feigning death, it seems likely that the gunman could too. I guess if you decide that's your only option, you'd better do it convincingly.
Interesting that the shooter was using a shotgun (new gun to me as I had not read this) when the survivor was shot from a distance (his statement) of 1 meter with a rifle.

Laying still and wimpering or pleading with the shooter isn't the same as playing dead. As with any tactic, you need to be smart about it. If done wrong, your chances for success are not good.

He walked around shooting folks who were down? Like Cho? Being in a confined space with a trapped active shooter is a very dangerous place to be, no doubt.

Running away seemed to have been a great way to get his attention early on. Each strategy has shortcomings, no doubt. Each strategy worked, no doubt. Each strategy failed, no doubt.

However, this thread isn't about other tactics and strategies and what you would do, but about one particular tactic.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:10 AM   #60
Archer 9505

Fight-Flight-Freeze Response

It is in our genes. The Fight-Flight-Freeze response evolved within the human animal from prehistoric times. Some of those that have "played Dead" and survived (or not) may have done so, not out of choice but as a very basic genetically ingrained response to a situation where fighting or running did not appear to be available options.
This response has evolved within us for a reason. If we can't fight effectively and there is no available escape route. Playing dead may be better than pointless and ineffective running around aka dynamic inactivity. Movement attracts the predator's eye and makes us a target.
That being said; in the fight-flight-freeze trilogy, freeze is the least (IMO) desirable evasion technique but it is an evasion technique. It would not be a part of our evolved behavioral response to stress if it did not enable generations to survive and pass on the trait.

All the above aside: I train, practice, prepare and pray to God, that if the nightmare happens, I will be able to do more than play dead.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:31 AM   #61
MLeake

DNS, articles I read indicated the shooter had a mix of semi-automatic rifle, shotgun, and handguns.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:44 AM   #62
TylerD45ACP

This sounds like these people were in a really tough situation.
Old July 24, 2011, 04:27 PM   #63
JohnKSa
Staff

That's the problem. They never have a list ready ahead of time so you can be sure to sign up for an easy one or for one you know you've prepared for.

That's why it makes a lot of sense to train for a variety of scenarios and to learn (or at least be aware of) a variety of techniques so that you have a chance of choosing a response that is appropriate to the situation.
Old July 24, 2011, 04:39 PM   #64
TylerD45ACP

I agree.