The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 22, 2014, 02:04 AM   #1
OkieCruffler

To Tube or not to Tube?

Okay, so after 30 years of shooting a SXS I have finally started to use an O/U as my goto gun. I have this cherry little Citori, 28" barrels fixed Mod over IC. It swings the way I want and I actually like it. But I would like to be able to throw some skeet tubes in it and now there are many sporting clay opportunities in the area. My options are to send it to have it fitted for chokes at a cost of around $250 total, or trade it against a gun that already has tubes. The only advantage of trading it is that I wouldn't mind downsizing from this 12 to a 20.
Old September 22, 2014, 05:08 AM   #2
eastbank

mike orlen will put tubes in it for under 200.00 and it would add value to your citori.but if you would like a smaller gage trade your citori in or better yet just buy another shotgun. win,win. eastbank.
Old September 22, 2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

If you want to reload, just reload your 12 gauge shot shells for 7/8 ounces of shot and in effect you are shooting a 20 gauge. That is unless you want a 20 for some other reason than the ballistics.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; September 22, 2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old September 22, 2014, 01:22 PM   #4
BigJimP

Having changeable screw in choke tubes is an advantage...and makes a gun more versatile...

( Full length sub gague tube sets....are different animals )....
---------------
Personally I would keep a 12ga ....and shoot 1 oz or 7/8 oz loads in it vs going to a stand alone 20ga. I like heavier guns ...and too often the 20ga's are about a full pound lighter....
Old September 22, 2014, 06:29 PM   #5
Blindstitch

Personally I would rent one of what you want if possible and try it first. If it works right buy a new or used gun in whatever you want and then decide on the current gun you have.

You don't want to regret selling something without knowing if what you think you want will actually do the job for you.
Old September 22, 2014, 11:03 PM   #6
OkieCruffler

I'm loading a light 3/4oz load in the 12 right now anyway. I have some weird clotting issue that rears it's ugly head if I shoot much heavier than that. I already know the Citori fits me and I like those shorter barrels. If I were to trade it I'd end up spending way over what I would spend having this one tubed. Seems like that is the logical way to go.
Old September 23, 2014, 06:08 AM   #7
Virginian

I don't know if Mike has the tooling to install tubes in a Citori or not, but if he does that is THE way to go. Briley can certainly do it, but they are a bit more expensive. Well installed choke tubes are to me almost a necessity in any gun I intend to use for a lot of things. Of course it gives the traditionalists hives.
Old September 23, 2014, 06:46 AM   #8
OkieCruffler

I'm sure Mike could do it. I was actually leaning toward Carlson since I can get it threaded and 3 choke tubes for $190+shipping and I've had them do a couple of things for me in the past.