The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2013, 02:19 PM   #1
UtahHunting

Need some advice on a stuck nipple

I recently picked up an 1851 Griswold manufactured 1963. I doubt the nipples have ever been removed. I don't think the gun has been fired. I use a homemade nipple wrench I made with a socket. I was only able to remove 1 of the 6 nipples. I have tried PB Blaster (granted I only let it soak about 10 minutes) but they will not budge.

What can you all recommend in the way of a homemade solvent to loosen them? Or should I just shoot the hell out of it and not worry?
Old February 9, 2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Rigmarol

I have great luck using Kroil as a penetration oil.

If the gun works fine, shoot it.

If the nipples are seized, be prepared to possibly ruin them getting them off, have spares on hand unless you don't mind waiting to replace them.

I have destroyed two dedicated nipple wrenches in the past, I'd like to see your home made wrench if possible.

Good luck.
Old February 9, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

I've had luck in the past by applying a little heat as well - and then dousing with penetrating oil, brake fluid, etc. Sometimes they can be stubborn little devils and like many others, I've also have broken some nipple wrenches in the process. Hopefully you can get 'em broken free with out damaging them. I once had a stubborn one on an original 1861 Springfield that I ended up having to bore and use a "take me out" on. The biggest thing is to not get frustrated and cause damage to the internal threads - nipples are cheap compared to having to do a lot of work to restore nipple pockets on cylinders. Plus, don't be in a rush in spite of your desire to get it taken care of so you can shoot it. Let it spend some time soaking. Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 9, 2013, 03:51 PM   #4
deerslayer303

I second the Kroil Penetrating oil, but that stuff is hard to find at a local retailer, PB Blaster is good stuff too. Try standing the cylinder up (nipple side down) and spray PB Blaster in the chambers and let it sit and soak the threads that way.
Old February 9, 2013, 03:54 PM   #5
BirchOrr

FWIW

In independent studies, Kano-Kroil is the best penetrating oil available. In this same test, the only concoction that worked even better was a 50/50 mixture of acetone and automatic trans fluid.

Good luck!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old February 9, 2013, 04:12 PM   #6
TomADC

Yep shop brew 50/50 mix auto trans fluid & acetone.
Something else I like is Oil of Wintergreen plus a good fitting wrench.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:30 PM   #7
UtahHunting

Quote:
I have great luck using Kroil as a penetration oil.

If the gun works fine, shoot it.

If the nipples are seized, be prepared to possibly ruin them getting them off, have spares on hand unless you don't mind waiting to replace them.

I have destroyed two dedicated nipple wrenches in the past, I'd like to see your home made wrench if possible.

Good luck.
I think I may end up trying the acetone/tranny fluid mix.

Here is a pic of my homemade nipple wrench. A dremel to 3/16" socket. Been using this or one like it for years. Much stronger than the store bought ones.

Old February 9, 2013, 04:38 PM   #8
BirchOrr

^^^
Yep, made one just like it only used a nutdriver instead of socket. Like to "feel" the nipple so I don't cross-thread the darned thing! You could easily put your socket on a nut driver handle....

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old February 9, 2013, 04:39 PM   #9
UtahHunting

Birch, I usually do have it on a nutdriver handle, I had it on the socket for extra torque to try and loosen the nipples. Very handy to have one and fits in the shooting box easily.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:43 PM   #10
BirchOrr

^^^
That's what I figured. Also had it figured you were going for torque!

Birch
Old February 9, 2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Rigmarol

Utah, thanks for the pics. Good to have handy I'm sure.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:39 PM   #12
unknwn

Put an extension on your socket/nipple tool , put the cylinder on a block of wood -or- similiar, put the tool on the nipple and hammer on it (the extension).
The -shock- of hammering on it will loosen it up almost every time.
If it didn't work, heat it up either with a propane torch or similiar -or- in a pan of boiling water -and- repeat the hammering trick again.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:48 PM   #13
BirchOrr

^^^
And... if any of the above works, put a touch of anti sieze grease on the threads with a Q-tip. Take the nipples out each time you clean the gun to keep it from happening again!

Birch
Old February 9, 2013, 08:28 PM   #14
North East Redneck

Was gonna say trans fluid and acetone, but I see that's already been covered. Its better than Kroil and much better than PB.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:04 PM   #15
UtahHunting

Quote:
Was gonna say trans fluid and acetone, but I see that's already been covered. Its better than Kroil and much better than PB.
I am going to try this, maybe as early as tomorrow. Just to be safe, this won't remove any of the finish on the cylinder will it?
Old February 9, 2013, 09:12 PM   #16
BirchOrr

I thought about that! To be safe use it on the INSIDE of the cylinder, not the outside.

Acetone is nasty stuff (nail polish remover). I use it to disolve contact cement when installing Formica countertops.

Birch

Last edited by BirchOrr; February 9, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:01 PM   #17
shortwave

You may get by just soaking the cyl. in the ATF and leaving out the acetone.

Have had great result in the past doing this and letting the corroded part soak for a week or so agitating and wire brushing around the stuck part every day or so.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:51 PM   #18
robhof

robhof

I have used the acetone/auto trans fluid on my blued pistols with no ill effects, except it will fade cold blue and damage the fake case hardening that they have now. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress and a range report when successful.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:05 AM   #19
DD4lifeusmc

stuck nipple

I didn't read every reponse but.
Soak in the blaster or whatever for a couple days.
wipe out excess.
Use your homemade tool on and impact driver.
Type you hit with a hammer.
If that don't work.
Use a mini micro torch.
Heat only the cylinder all the way around the nipple.
Don't heat the nipple itself.
Now use the impact.
It should break loose.