The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2002, 07:02 AM   #1
Jorah Lavin

M1: 30-06, wht-tail, what bullet, load?

Okay, here is the deal.

Some time this fall, if I'm a good little boy, the delivery man will bring me my first M1 from CMP.

I've been shooting loaner M1s for the last two years, and this summer got set up to reload the Lake City brass I've been saving up.

Also this fall I may go on my first-ever deer hunt, and I'll probably use either my Marlin 30/30 or the M1 if I get it in time.

I live in central NC, so there is a mix of fields and dense underbrush... range might be as far as 150 yards, so I'll take the M1 if I can. Anyhow, I feel fairly good about the 30/30 load, a flat-point Sierra 180 gr jacketed bullet, but I'm waffling on what to put together for the M1.

Right now I'm loading 151 gr pulled military FMJ bullets, and will stay with 150 gr if people advise, but I'm thinking that a hollow point in the 170-180 gr might be better... I'm just not sure if you can shoot other weights in the Garand, or if you have to stick with the one bullet weight.

Is this confusing enough?

Anyway, your advice on bullet weight, brand, style (hollow point or soft point, etc.) and suggested starting charge and brand/type of powder would be greatly appreciated.

-Jorah

PS: Yes, whatever I settle on, I'll be practicing a lot with before I go out into the field...

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
Old September 2, 2002, 07:33 AM   #2
Khornet

General recs are

180 gr or less in M1
No powder slower than 4350

Best IMHO Hornady 150 gr spire point, CCI large rifle primer, 4064 50 grains, maybe up to 52, but 50 is just fine. All you need for deer!
Old September 2, 2002, 07:48 AM   #3
Jorah Lavin

Hey! that's the powder I'm using now...

Quote:
Hornady 150 gr spire point, CCI large rifle primer, 4064 50 grains
Excellent. Thanks, Khornet

-J.

PS: I wasn't sure what a spire point looked like, but now I do...

Not all that much different looking from my current FMJ, in shape anyway... I'm guessing that that is a softpoint of some sort?
Old September 2, 2002, 03:44 PM   #4
sleeping dog

4350 might be a little slow for the M1. I've used it and it shoots fine, but I only use it with my drilled-out gas plug, so it can't work the action. It may be fine, but I just don't want to risk a bent op-rod, ouch.

With that soft-nosed spire point ammo, about 46 or 47 grains of 4895 (IMR or Hodgdon) will work fine.

Do you have a five-round-mag rule in your area?

Regards.
Old September 2, 2002, 05:29 PM   #5
Jorah Lavin

5-round rule? Not sure, just starting to get edikated

Hunting is such a new idea to me that I'm just now starting to study up on it.

I'm scheduled to take the state hunter safety course soon, so I'm sure I'll learn a lot there, plus I plan to read up online.

-J.
Old September 3, 2002, 12:13 AM   #6
gk1

A plastic-tipped bullet like a Ballistic Tip or one of the others would also be a good choice (I like the 165 grain) as it is a quick opener, but won't leave lead shavings, etc., and the tip won't deform on feeding.

George
Old September 3, 2002, 02:07 AM   #7
sricciardelli

56.6 grains of IMR-4350, Winchester WLR primers, and Sierra 168 HPBT.
Old September 3, 2002, 02:27 AM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Zip experience here with anything M1 related, etc., but anything .30 cal/~150 grain bullet even remotely touted as a "deer bullet" should work quite well.

Nothing all that magical about it. Put a decent bullet where it should go & you'll be dragging out deer.

I'd concentrate more on making sure I could put it where it needs to go.

A caveat re Steve's last - that 168 Sierra's a Match bullet & isn't intended to do anything but shoot accurately = not an expanding bullet. Perhaps he meant the 165 GameKing? & that comes in a HP & a soft point. The SP has a better ballistic coefficient = "flies better."
Old September 3, 2002, 05:18 PM   #9
cheygriz

Any quality 150 gr bullet, backed by IMR 4064 or IMR 4895 to about 2700 FPS.

Modern 180 gr .30 calibre bullets are designed primarily for game larger than deer, such as elk. They may not open up fast enough on very small animals like deer.

150 GR bullets are adequate for Rocky Mountain mule deer, which are considerably larger than Eastern whitetails.