The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1
IAMDEATH

Reloading Supplies

I recently got into loading .223 rounds and im wanting to start reloading in bulk but in my location nobody carries bulk supply. Is there anyone out there that can point in the right direction to a website that has bulk bullets with decent prices.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:28 PM   #2
noylj

check MidwayUSA, Wideners, Graf and Sons, and others.
Do internet search for "reloading supplies".
Montana Gold makes their own jacketed bullets.
Powder and primers in bulk from Powder Valley.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

I get my powder and primers from Powder Valley. http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

When you order on-line, watch for the HAZMAT fees, they can really wipe-out any savings you may have had.

Do you know any other reloaders in your area that you could share the cost with?
Old May 18, 2012, 11:32 AM   #4
IAMDEATH

Thanks for the suggestions there are a few people around me that reload but nobody that really is into it as much as i am.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions there are a few people around me that reload but nobody that really is into it as much as i am.
Even if they aren't into it as much you'll do well to cultivate relationships. Like was said earlier - hazmat fees are a killer. The thing about keeping friends that reload is that the hazmat fee is per shipment (up to a certain weight). It doesn't matter if you order 2lbs of powder or 40lbs you'll pay the same hazmat fee ($25 last I checked). It makes sense to try to get others in your area to go in on an order to split the fee.

The other thing you can do with having even casual friends that reload is coordinate out-of-town buying opportunities. For instance, when I happen to be on the road and go to a location that has a Bass Pro Shop, I call my buddies and see if there are any powders or primers they need. Paying a little more at a retail store beats the heck out of paying that hazmat fee.
Old May 18, 2012, 02:32 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

If it is just for bullets it depends on what you shoot. For handguns shooting cast lead there are tons of places that you will save ordering in bulk. So far as I have heard the quality of all of them range from good to outstanding.

For plated or jacketed there are also a lot of places that sell in bulk, and bulk orders over a ceartian price they will throw in free shipping.
Old May 18, 2012, 02:59 PM   #7
NWPilgrim

For handgun lead bullets I like http://www.dardascastbullets.com/, http://pennbullets.com, and Missouri Bullets (I think at Grafs?). In plated bullets I like Berry's.

For rifle bullets I would try Natchezss.com, midwayusa.com, wideners.com, Cabelas.com (they have some good buys and free shipping occasionally).

I usually buy powder from Powder Valley but Cabelas also has good deals now and then. You used to have to pay separate hazmat/shipping for primers and powder but now some places put the separate boxes into another larger box and you pay one rate.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old May 18, 2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Mac Sidewinder

I recently placed a large order through Powder Valley for 5000 bullets (various sizes) 10,000 primers, 4lbs powder, and some misc other things and they shipped all the hazmat in one package. Their hazmat charge is the usual $27.50 but it saved me money in the long run. Their primer and powder prices are almost half local prices here. Its worth it to do the bulk purchase online.

The only drawback to you maybe that you (or someone 18 or over) have to sign in person for the hazmat materials.

Mac
Old May 18, 2012, 07:37 PM   #9
rdmallory

Varmint Nightmare from Midsouth.
Midsouth

Doug
Old May 18, 2012, 08:00 PM   #10
langenc

Hazmat is just discrimination by UPS.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:54 PM   #11
dickttx

Hazmat is what it is. Probably not going to change, except go up.
I recently purchased an 8# jug of powder and 10K primers from PV. AFTER paying the hazmat fee and freight I saved $180 over buying locally, and I got exactly what I wanted. The hazmat and freight were actually less that the sales tax would have been.
It doesn't make any difference what they call it, the final out of pocket cost is all that matters.
And no, you can't buy a pound or two of powder and a carton of primers and come out.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:16 AM   #12
Doyle

Quote:
Hazmat is what it is. Probably not going to change, except go up.
I've heard just the opposite. There was a thread not too long ago that discussed the DOT plan to eliminate the need for a Hazmat fee on small powder and primer shipments.