The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 15, 2000, 07:14 PM   #1
Ozzie

I need to get some eye protection. Can someone recommend a good brand and place to get them online. Locally all I can choose from are issued BCD style or "wrap around yellow".

I looked at Blue Press's glasses, but they are out of their "normal" safety glasses and all they have are 60$ "Gargoyle 85's" and stuff like it. Are those any good?

As always, thanks in advance :-)

Oz
Old February 16, 2000, 04:39 PM   #2
jcoyoung

For just plan ol' safety glasses, check with office supply stores like Office Max and Staples. Auto parts supply stores may also have safety glasses.

I just use my safety glasses from work.

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side
Old February 16, 2000, 06:36 PM   #3
mongrel66

you might want to look at bicycling glasses...try nashbar or specialized.they both have web sites...i just dont know them...oh wait www.bikenashbar.com
Old February 16, 2000, 09:33 PM   #4
Banzai

Don't rule out calling any of your local industrial supply places, too. I get mine locally from an industrial fastener supply place. They look cool, cost next to nothing, work great, and seem to last longer than your average WalMart issue gear.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
Old February 17, 2000, 12:09 PM   #5
tupawk

I use my racquetball glasses. They work great and are made so there is no distortion when you are wearing them.
Old February 17, 2000, 01:13 PM   #6
jcoyoung

Be aware that industrial safety glasses and other glasses may not offer the same level of protection. Regular sunglasses may be ok, but are not a substitute for safety glasses. I was told (at work) to only use glasses with the ASTM Z87 rating. I'm not sure if raquetball, cycling, "Joke-leys" and others offer the protection needed for, say, a shotgun blast of #9 shot to the face. (I remember an Oakley ad to this effect, I think they have a special line of safety/sunglasses)

I'll admit it, I use some cheapo glasses I bought from Bike Nashbar. But they were cheap and have 3 different colored lenses (tint, clear, amber).

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited February 17, 2000).]
Old February 17, 2000, 02:09 PM   #7
skdtac

ozzie,
you've only got one set of eyes, so consider quality eye protection a worthwhile investment. i've got bolle vigilante ses in stock, they are on the pricier end of the spectrum but these are lifetime glasses. very lightweight, and they come with 4 sets of interchangeable lenses- mirror gunflash, amber, red, clear- for all light conditions and occasions.

very stylish, and i've got yellow replacement lenses as well. all ready to ship the next day.
best,
joe

------------------
www.skdtac.com
tactical accessories for self-defense and le
Old February 17, 2000, 10:06 PM   #8
Jake 98c/11b

Best deal going might be the Wiley X line from Protective Optics, especially the Saber line. I was present when the local range shot a pair of lenses with a load of #6 express shot out of an 18" 870 at about 18 feet. Nothing penetrated the lenses. The lenses were shipped with a letter from the US Army Special Operations Command that said they tested that series of lenses with 00 buck and when the lenses were at 10 yards or more the military issue buckshot would not penetrate. As I understand it those glasses will be issue to front line troops when they settle on laser protective coatings.

Best of all they retail for about $30, beat that.
Old February 18, 2000, 05:12 AM   #9
FAsT_bLAdE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jake 98c/11b:
Best deal going might be the Wiley X line from Protective Optics, especially the Saber line. I was present when the local range shot a pair of lenses with a load of #6 express shot out of an 18" 870 at about 18 feet. Nothing penetrated the lenses. The lenses were shipped with a letter from the US Army Special Operations Command that said they tested that series of lenses with 00 buck and when the lenses were at 10 yards or more the military issue buckshot would not penetrate. As I understand it those glasses will be issue to front line troops when they settle on laser protective coatings.

Best of all they retail for about $30, beat that.
[/quote]

Do you have an URL for this company or an 800 number and address. Let us know so some of us could consider this prouduct.

Thank you

------------------
FAsT_bLAdE

[This message has been edited by FAsT_bLAdE (edited February 18, 2000).]
Old February 19, 2000, 06:14 AM   #10
E__WOK

http://www.ej-sunglasses.com/indexpa...leyx/index.inv

Click on the Ballistic Eyewear icon.

This is where I bought my G-Line. They look good.