The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 11, 2013, 07:07 AM   #26
Picher

I find it funny that we hear ricochet sounds when the military are assaulting a sand beach, in jungles, inside of wooden buildings, etc.

How many times have we heard that someone "put the safety on (or off)" on a double-action revolver?
Old June 11, 2013, 11:48 AM   #27
BigTex308

Re: Goofy Movie Gun Lines?

Another favorite is when there's a show down and everybody raises their guns and you hear a hundred hammers being cocked back even though nearly everyone is holding a glock.

Ike
Old June 11, 2013, 12:04 PM   #28
zxcvbob

Were there any gun scenes or lines in Disney's "Goofy Movie"?

That really is what I thought of when I saw the thread title.
Old June 11, 2013, 12:57 PM   #29
deepcreek

"Nailed Em' Both" Lethal Weapon 2

It's only a nail gun but he shoots it with no air hose..
http://youtu.be/FM26ZXjPL_4
Old June 11, 2013, 01:58 PM   #30
zxcvbob

There are cordless framing nailers that use replaceable fuel cells instead of a compressed air hose. That clip is pretty dark so I can't tell if that's one of them or not.
Old June 11, 2013, 02:11 PM   #31
SgtLumpy

Quote:
"Nailed Em' Both" Lethal Weapon 2
That one was hilarious.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 11, 2013, 03:25 PM   #32
Bluestarlizzard

Quote:
Actually, if I understand it right, they do leave the sound of gunshots unedited. That's because they don't use them at all. They can't. At least not with analog tape. I don't know about digital tech, but with film/video tape, the sound of a gunshot maxes out the media (pegs the meters), and comes across as a loud pop, no matter the caliber. .22s are smaller pops, but they are all pops, sounding nothing like a real gunshot.

The gunshot sound effects are just that, sound effects, intended to make us think of the actual sound of the shot. They "sound like" a gunshot on film, but aren't actual gunshots.
sweetie, that whole process you discribe *is* editing.
Old June 11, 2013, 04:10 PM   #33
justplainpossum

Just saw an old Kim Bassinger/Jeff Bridges movie called Nadine (well, about ten minutes of it, I just couldn't take any more), and she checks out a house with her double barrel shotgun by holding it next to her side and sticking the gun through each doorway while she stood outside the doorway. Priceless.

In A Perfect Murder, Gwyneth Paltrow told her estranged husband that she was going to turn him in for his attempted murder of her (which for some reason annoyed him), then HIT him with her gun, then after a brief struggle she shoots him in the shoulder, and then instead of holding him at bay tries to run right past him while holding the gun... It's otherwise a pretty good movie, but I hate when they have women doing stupid stuff with guns.
Old June 11, 2013, 05:58 PM   #34
ClydeFrog

2 guns?.....

I could never understand why some "good guys" who already have a sidearm or firearm go & get a "special gun" for the exciting 3rd act climax .
I don't mean a scene like Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry in Sudden Impact(1984) using a .44 AutoMag semi auto to fend off the bad guys.

I mean scenes like Wesley Snipes pulling out a customized CZ-75 at the end of Rising Sun(he plays a LAPD LT who has a 92F 9x19mm).
Or rookie auto theft detail detective; Charlie Sheen going out & packing a then new Steyr GB 9x19mm over his LAPD issue pistol, , The Rookie(1990).
Even Sly Stallone grabs a big snub revolver for no real reason in the 1990s era action classic; Demolition Man(1993). His LAPD; John Spartan character uses 2 Beretta 9x19mm sidearms at the start so how is a .357magnum or .44 snub going to do any better?

I also don't get why film-TV hero characters never pick up the bad guy guns or use them. If a horde of spec ops commandos or ninjas was bearing down on me, Id load up that SAW or AK then grab a few high cap pistols.

CF
PS; I, for 1, have no problems with calling magazines clips. I also use Rooney Guns, 6 shooters, hog leg, etc etc.
Old June 11, 2013, 06:06 PM   #35
ChasingWhitetail91

The bending of a bullets path around an obstacle into the target on Wanted the movie was pretty rediculous.
Old June 11, 2013, 06:07 PM   #36
Ridge_Runner_5

Or later in the same film when she curves a bullet all the way around round room, killing like 7 people, and then herself with the one bullet.
Old June 11, 2013, 07:09 PM   #37
BigTex308

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingWhitetail91 View Post
The bending of a bullets path around an obstacle into the target on Wanted the movie was pretty rediculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner_5 View Post
Or later in the same film when she curves a bullet all the way around round room, killing like 7 people, and then herself with the one bullet.

Yeah. But that whole movie had some freaky stuff going on.

Ike
Old June 11, 2013, 07:31 PM   #38
Bluestarlizzard

Uhhhh... Wanted was straight comic book fantasy.

Fiction with strong elements of scfi or fantasy is *supposed* to have stuff that really, honestly, can't actually happen.
Movies in those genres, I give a free pass on a vast amount of what would otherwise be "gun screwups" since one must take into account a signifigent amount of artistic license.
Old June 11, 2013, 09:39 PM   #39
ClydeFrog

Die Hard & Lethal Weapon II....

2 popular action films filled with gun flubs & "huh " moments includes the first Die Hard(1988) & the cop thriller Lethal Weapon II(1989).

The scene in Die Hard, where John(banged up & hanging from a fire-hose) "shoots" the office glass of the huge office building is real Hollywood hype.
I worked full time as a security supervisor for three years in a 40 story office building a lot like the Die Hard location. The office glass was thick and would NOT crack apart or break with simple 9x19mm pistol rounds.
I doubt any small arms would completely crack office glass.

In Lethal Weapon II, when Martin Riggs(Mel Gibson) slams his Dooley pick-up into the beam of the beach front house then rips it apart causing the entire house to crash was way, way off.
I got a entire barber shop of guys arguing about that scene. Lol.
Old June 11, 2013, 09:43 PM   #40
Vireye

Note really a "goofy line" but my buddy and I had a laugh...

In "End of Watch", the main character holds up a Glock 22 to the camera ("Glock 22" is CLEARLY seen) and states "This is my issued sidearm, a Glock 19..."

Oi...
Old June 11, 2013, 10:21 PM   #41
JRH6856

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumnote
In the first Bond movie "Dr. No" when Bond turns in his Beretta M1934 for the Walther PPK, because the Beretta has "no stopping power" and the "PPK 7.65mm with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window."

The Walther is a 32...the Beretta was a 380...
Bond carried a silenced Beretta M418, .25ACP. At least, he did in the books. If the M1934 was shown in the film, then that was another error.
Old June 11, 2013, 11:27 PM   #42
ClydeFrog

Another 48hrs ....

The crime film/comedy sequel to the hit 48 Hours(1982), Another 48 Hours starts with a female uniformed CHP trooper literally flying thru a glass window after being shot with a .454 single action & a big Desert Eagle.
The trooper would in reality be wearing a body armor vest & even a powerful blast would knock her down I highly doubt it could cause her to fly.

Both 48 Hours films have a few flaws & unrealistic scenes but they aren't bad entertainment.

To see actor Nick Nolte fumble with .44magnum rounds reloading a N frame 29 in 48 Hours is a good way to explain to someone why speed strips or speed loaders are worth carrying.

Gunfights like those shown in 48 Hours are fast, stressful & violent.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:43 PM   #43
SgtLumpy

US Drug Wars, season 2 episode 4

"Confiscated [from a house search] a...fully loaded 40 caliber LUGER pistol..."

While the on screen image is a RUGER pistol.

And of course it's "fully loaded"...

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 4, 2013, 02:10 PM   #44
SgtLumpy

I watched some "FBI agents" on some USA series last night. One guy racked the slide of his Glock three times 1) when they left the HQ and said "Let's go" - 2) When they arrived at the scene and got out of their vehicles - and 3) just before entering the room with the bad guy.

And of course, the agent in the suit and tie took the lead of the room charge. The SWAT guys tagged along behind.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 4, 2013, 05:24 PM   #45
Paul B.

"I watched some "FBI agents" on some USA series last night."

Real life FBI incident I personally saw.
Background: Guy breaks jail in Idaho. Hijacks small aircraft using gun taken from Idaho sheriff. Plane lands for fuel in small Nevada town. Sheriff's deputies disable plane by shooting the front landing gear. Bad guy takexs fixed base operator and family hostage. FBI called in. FBI finally talks bad guy into surrenderin. FBI agent takes control of sherriff's gun, a 9MM browning High Power. Agent removes magazine and clears chamber. Can't get the hammer to drop. I tell him to insert the magazine and get a royal arse chewing. He says, "I'm a trained federal agent in the use of all fiearms, blah blah blah." I look at him and say, If you're so well trained, how come you can't drop the hammer?" He gets royally P.O.ed. Sheriff who lost gun finally arrives, wants his gun back. Big man FBI agents the gun is broken. Can't drop the hammer and besides, it's evidence." Sheriff tells him to just stick the mgazine back in and he can drop the hammer. Yes, I did look at him gloating and said, I told you so." Just couldn't help myself.
That all took place at the Winnemucca Nevada airport about 35 or so years ago. I was working at the weather station there and saw the shooting match.
Kind of puts a new perspective on movie boo boos.
Paul B.
Old July 5, 2013, 11:54 AM   #46
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
Real life FBI incident I personally saw.
Background: Guy breaks jail in Idaho. Hijacks small aircraft using gun taken from Idaho sheriff. Plane lands for fuel in small Nevada town. Sheriff's deputies disable plane by shooting the front landing gear. Bad guy takexs fixed base operator and family hostage.
Should've just done this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZBbovy-o98
Old July 5, 2013, 05:00 PM   #47
n5lyc

I used to be a parish cop in Louisiana, we would get memos about officer training fubars.

In Crowley, la. An officer cocked his revolver in a street confrontation, the suspect was taken into custody by another officer, the guy did not know how to UNCOCK his revolver. So he wrapped a handkerchief around the exposed hammer, put it in his flap holster, and carried it that way until the end of his shift and asked his sergeant how to make the weapon safe.

In New Orleans, 2 detectives were issued an Ithaca pump and 5 rounds for a stake out, at the end of the night they turned in the gun and 4 rounds.

Both stated they were issued 4, but had signed for 5.
Separate questioning turned up, at the end of the stakeout they didn't know how to empty the gun, so they fished the 4 rounds out of the magazine tube using car keys, and fired the one in the chamber into some boxes behind a store.
Because they didn't know how to get the round out of the chamber without firing it.
Old July 5, 2013, 06:02 PM   #48
Quincunx

In "Red Dragon" (the book, not the movie) there is an interesting scene where Will Graham and his wife are at the range; while the rangemaster watches, Graham is teaching his wife to shoot with a (presumably Charter Arms) "Bulldog .44 Special." The rangemaster muses about the ammunition Graham and his wife are using.....

The ammunition on the stand beside them was an interesting progression. First there was a box of lightly loaded wadcutters. Then came regular service hardball, and last was something the range-master had read much about but had rarely seen. A row of Glaser Safety Slugs. The tips looked like pencil erasers. Behind each tip was a copper jacket containing number-twelve shot suspended in liquid Teflon. The light projectile was designed to fly at tremendous velocity, smash into the target and release the shot. In meat the results were devastating. The rangemaster even recalled the figures. Ninety Glasers had been fired at men so far. All ninety were instant one-shot stops. In eighty-nine of the cases immediate death resulted. One man survived, surprising the doctors. The Glaser round had a safety advantage, too - no ricochets, and it would not go through a wall and kill someone in the next room.

I've seen some odd beasts in my fiddy years, but I've never encountered a "regular service hardball" load for a .44 Special. Maybe I just don't get around enough. Plus, what a rousing endorsement for Glasers! Has anyone ever actually seen those figures printed somewhere other than in the novel?

The rangemaster then leaves the scene and goes back to the tower.....

He had been back in the tower for some time when he heard the hellish racket of the Glasers going off.

Do the Glasers have some type of distinctive report? I'm not being my usual sarcastic self here, I'm actually asking. I've fired exactly zero Glasers in my life, but I've been present when others have fired them, and I didn't notice any particular "hellish racket." Or, like I say, maybe I just don't get around enough.....
Old July 6, 2013, 07:08 AM   #49
BigTex308

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtLumpy View Post

And of course, the agent in the suit and tie took the lead of the room charge. The SWAT guys tagged along behind.

Sgt Lumpy

I love how the FBI or whatever they are agents always charge the room first with nothing but a G19 or 23 or whatever. And then the half a dozen SWAT guys in full body armour and CQB rifles file in behind them.

Ike
Old July 7, 2013, 06:04 AM   #50
Husqvarna

I dunno why I am watching, some no name actors movie called Bridesmaids Undercover.

The female agent is out shooting clays with the dudes, with nice over/unders, and they add sound effects after the shots are fired they have added soundeffects of a pump shotgun. and the racking of a slide when they load them again