The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2005, 12:51 PM   #1
Bob - S.C.

Loading for AR-15 - HELP

I am new to this forum and would appreciate some advice. I am reloading for my Olympic Arms AR-15, 16" bull barrel, A-3 with target scope.
My first load was with H-335, 24.0 grains, Nosler Ballistic Silver Tip, 55 grains. I averaged two 5 shot groups of 1/4" at 100 Yrds.
My second load was H-335, 24 grains, Hornady 55 grain V-Max. Average group of 5 shots was 1 1/2" at 100 Yrds.
C.O.L. is 2.260. I am using Winchester Brass, CCI-BR4 primers and RCBS competition die set.
I selected 24 trains of powder because of listing in Hornady manuel. Any advice would be appreciated. Is load too light? From what I can tell, manuels are all over the place on grain weight. I know someone can help me with this issue.
Old March 14, 2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Lycanthrope

The V max and the Nosler BT, despite having similarities (and same weight in your case), are not the same bullet. For one, the boat tail on the Hornady is a longer taper. You will have to develop a separate loading to see what each is like. Load each bullet in groups of .5 grain increments and then shoot them for groups. You'll find a sweet spot for each bullet. Of course, you could just stick with the Nosler group you have and be happy!

I have shot the A Max and the Nosler BT out of my 7STW and they have never shot the same. The Ballistic Tip is always more accurate out of my guns for what it's worth.
Old March 14, 2005, 07:27 PM   #3
HankL

Quote:
My first load was with H-335, 24.0 grains, Nosler Ballistic Silver Tip, 55 grains. I averaged two 5 shot groups of 1/4" at 100 Yrds.
Looks like you have a 55 grain bullet load well in hand.
Keep good records on your loads and keep on with what you are doing.