The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 17, 2013, 02:01 AM   #1
dakota.potts

Beginner questions

I've only been shooting for a short time but in that time I've come to think that I would enjoy shooting in 3 Gun competitions.

My first question is, what type of competitions should I be researching and looking for? All the abbreviations can be confusing at times and I'm having a hard time deciphering what's what.

As for what I would begin shooting with, I'm looking at a CZ 75 with a doublestack magazine and a typical Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 for the shotgun. However, what's really going to hurt getting into it is going to be the rifle. Is there a decent semi automatic rifle that can compete at lower pricesthan the AR-15? For instance, what about an SKS modified for 30 round magazines (or simply an AK)? I've been told there are limitations with the 7.62 round that make it even harder than the 5.56 to reach out to the 400 yard shots. Are these common and necessary to worry about? Would a 5.45 round be more effective or even allowed?

Finally, what should I be practicing for these events in the meantime as I piece together equipment? I don't think I will be able to practice moving and firing or things like that but I may be able to practice on moving targets as well as standard firing and reloading.

Thanks in advance!
Old March 17, 2013, 08:21 AM   #2
oryx

As for what type of competition you should research, well that completely is in your hands, but if you are interested in 3 gun, that's a greats place to start. Tons of info out there on 3 gun if you search the web.
As for equipment in most sports, you pay to play. hard to say whether you can be competitive with an sks as it depends on your individual skills, but I doubt many top competitors would use them over the AR.
You have to start somewhere and it's good to see the interest in getting involved
Old March 17, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
oryx

here's a link to te first thing that came up on google. It discusses all of the rules, equipment and tips for getting started.

http://www.3gunrules.com/index.php?o...&id=4&Itemid=7
Old March 17, 2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Are you a proficient action pistol shooter?
If not, I recommend getting your feet wet in one-gun shooting like USPSA or IDPA before jumping in the deep end with 3-gun.
Old March 17, 2013, 02:02 PM   #5
dakota.potts

Thanks for the link Oryx, I did read that and while it did answer some of my questions (like what bore rifles are acceptable) I'm still confused as to the different types of competitions. Like 3 Gun USPSA vs. IGMA.

Jim, I'm not a good action pistol shooter. I'm a passable target shooter. Would one of those competitions be less intensive than the 3 gun? I'll need to develop skills for any that I choose.
Old March 17, 2013, 03:44 PM   #6
oryx

To be competitivein 3 gun would require proficiency in 3 areas, pistol, rifle and shotgun. Jim is probably right in terms of focus. Start slow and expand as you get better. A single gun competition is very fun still. Your adrenaline will soar the first couple of matches.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Jesse Tischauser

There is no sanctioning body for 3 gun or Multi gun. 3 Gun Nation the TV show has probably the most comprehensive unification of the sport but they aren't creating rule books just yet. They are trying to grow their show by growing the sport. The USPSA has the most comprehensive rule book if you want to learn the rules.

I agree with everyone above that said shooting some USPSA, IDPA, icore, GSSF, SCSA or any if the action pistol sports will better prepare you for 3 gun. All of those will make you more proficient with 1/3 of the guns you will use in 3 gun.they will all also teach u the safety rules which are first and foremost on the list. With that said I don't think you should wait to start 3 gun until u have experience elsewhere. I shoot with and work as a range officer for first time shooters at our 3 gun matches. I see plenty of Guys and gals and kids do great when their first shooting competition is 3 gun.

Plus there are so many things you will learn every match for pretty much forever that the longer you wait to start the further behind you will be and the more gun you will miss out on.
Old March 23, 2013, 01:29 PM   #8
dataz722

I could be wrong here but I think you are getting 3 different competitions confused. 3 gun is completely different from USPSA and IDPA. They are not different forms of 3 gun.

I could be completely wrong but it seems to me that's where a lot of your confusion was coming from.
Old March 23, 2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Jesse Tischauser

IDPA and USPSA both offer a 3 gun form of competition with their own rule set as well.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:39 AM   #10
dakota.potts

It could be that was a large part of my confusion.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:37 AM   #11
SauerGrapes

Depending on your area, you will probably find a USPSA or IDPA match in your area. 3 gun, maybe not so much.
Good advice given above, try some pistol matches first. I get all the giggles I need shooting them.
Like you, I don't own an AR.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 27, 2013, 02:18 PM   #12
RickB

Yeah, both USPSA and IDPA, originally established as pistol-only sports, offer 3-gun or multigun; the distinction is that 3-gun utilizes the three gun types, but always separately, while multi-gun will have transitions among the different types. I shot a multi-gun stage in which you put all three guns on a table in front of you, and you had to transition from one gun to the next after each target engagement.
My IDPA club will often have a shotgun or rifle "side stage", conducted and scored separately from the pistol match, but allowing those who want to do so, to employ their long guns in a practical way, with the movement, reloading, etc., used in the pistol match.