The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 14, 1999, 07:50 PM   #1
HankL

I plan on taking a factory new rifle for a trip around the block this comming weekend.
I will be working with a Remington 700 PSS in 308 Winchester. I will be shooting Federal Match 168 grainers for the sight in. The scope I will be zeroing is a Leuopold Mark 4 so I will be doing my business at 100 yds over an Oheler 33 chronograph. After the zero, I should be good to go at range.
Any request for particulars in next weeks
"Range Report"? I have already told some folks over in "The Art of The Rifle" I would be posting my results.
Hank
Old September 14, 1999, 08:38 PM   #2
Joey

Want to trade scopes, we have the Leupold Tactical 3.5-10x50mm Adj. Obj

Do you have a good source for the Fed Match ammo? we have 2 boxes left and need to start bulding us a nice supply of ammo.

Looking forward to your report!!

[This message has been edited by Joey (edited September 14, 1999).]
Old September 14, 1999, 09:08 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Hank-
I have a request for you. I'd like to send you a couple of dozen Georgia Arms match rounds. These are 168gr Match bullets with a moly coat.

Interested in running 10 thru the barrel, cleaning and then running ten for comparision to the Federal offerings? Might be interesting to see:
- Comparative group size
- Standard deviation in velocity for 10 rounds of each
- Comparison of each to the published Federal specs for the Match at range.

Don't know if I can get them to you in time or if you're interested, but if you email me, I'll give it my best shot.

My money's on GA based on the comparisions I've done with their handgun offerings.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited September 14, 1999).]
Old September 14, 1999, 10:31 PM   #4
Joey

One ammo I'd like to try is Talon's White Feather 308 http://www.snipercountry.com/WhiteFeather.htm this ammo is named after Carlos Hathcock II and from what I understand his family gets a small royalty from ammo sales.

I've read good things about this ammo but have never found any place that carries it, Anybody have a source for White Feather ammo???
Old September 15, 1999, 12:17 AM   #5
Outlaw1

What is the barrel length on that particular model? Also the twist, and how many lands?
My 700 is a 300 Win. Mag, but I was thinking about trying the brand mentioned for my .308, and could use the .308 info.

------------------
Happiness is a tight group!
Old September 15, 1999, 06:45 PM   #6
HankL

Joey, No trade, you have a very nice scope but! I just buy the Fed. Match as I need it a case at the time at the best price . No consistant source.

Rich, I will email you.

Joey, White Feather ammo sounds good but I will end up using my own handloads that match the Federal. I just use the Feds. for a known baseline when starting afresh.

Outlaw1, Bbl = 26" twist=1:10 lands=6. Remington makes this rifle in 300 Win Mag. 308 Winchester and 223 Remington.
Hank
BTW Outlaw1, I forgot to mention that Remington makes a Sendero with a bit different stock in 7MM STW. While this round was a bit overrated it will still gain you some fps over a 7MM Whby for additional powder. I have been talking to the guys at Weatherby about a 338 x 7MM Whby.

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited September 15, 1999).]
Old September 19, 1999, 12:43 PM   #7
HankL

Well, we have some good and bad news!
Bad news is I couldn't get my 100 yd zero.
Whith the scope turned all the way down it's
still 5" high at 100 yds. Mark 4 scope, rings and bases go figure. I guess I will have to shim the front base but I'm not happy about it. The trigger is horrible around 10 to 12 lbs. and rough! I have a Remington 40 XBR with a 2oz trigger and no safety and have never had an AD. Product liability is going to be the ruin of many a good thing!

Good news using the aforementioned Federal Match 168 gr. ammo the only group I fired measured .556. Four rounds into a .391 x .314 hole and one flyer! I am impressed.

I will work out the bugs and repost If anyone cares.

Hank
Old September 19, 1999, 06:37 PM   #8
Joey

See we should have swaped scopes <VBG>

Did you get a chance to chronograph the Federal Match???

We don't have a scale to measure trigger pull, but it seemes like our trigger pull was about like the 45 ACP and that's right around 4.5 lbs. It's also real smoth not rough at all. I'd like to evuntally get a Timmey or Jewel trigger. (think thoes are the ones)

Can you try a 200 or 300 Zero? I'm planing on moving back to 200 and then possibly 300. If things go good will leave on 200 for zeroing, but then again 300 would be a real nice zero. Just need to find some a dry and wind free day to visit the range again.

I've never measured group size but for me a 3 round group at 100 yards covered by a quater was rather impressive, especially the first time firing the rifle and sighting in the scope. Now to just practice lots more and shrink the group size down.
Old September 19, 1999, 07:05 PM   #9
HankL

Joey, Thanks for the reply. The scope was great so I think that I will keep it.
The Fed Match is pretty boring over a chrono.
Shoot it in the same rifle you will get the same results over and over. I got mad at my elevation problem and only fired 15 rounds over the Ohler. These few shots did an average of 2612 fps with a sd of 12.
With the scope, I must have a solid 100 yd zero for this combo to work as advertised.
I will work on shimming the bases and post later!
Hank
PS If a cow is about 5' from head to toe and it measures 3/4 mil how far away is it?

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited September 19, 1999).]
Old September 19, 1999, 09:37 PM   #10
Joey

Like I know anything about math, let alone mil dots, I'm using a duplex reticle <my alibi>

Let me see now, 1 mil=3.6" at 100 yards and 1 Yard at 1000 yards if I rembember right. Yards x 100 diveded by mils = range in yards i think

So I think that translates into somthing over 1533 yards, Anyway whenever a 6' target (man) is not bigger than 2 mils unless I'm shooting a 50 cal it's way out of range
Old September 29, 1999, 06:47 PM   #11
Joey

HankL

You left me hanging with this one How far out of the ballpark am I?????
Old September 29, 1999, 11:00 PM   #12
HankL

Joey, You are correct in all respects. I did it with my eye, scope, and a devivce called a MillDot Master and came very close to your figure. Way too far to shoot supper with a 308!
I did work on the trigger and get it down to a bit under 3 lbs. shimmed the scope to where it should be and will report again if I can get all of the planting done first!
Best Regards and Good Shooting,
Hank Lampe
Old September 30, 1999, 07:57 AM   #13
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Mildots and Rangefinders are good - but not needed if you know the battlefield or hunting grounds. The Army teaches you how to make rangecards... Valuable Skill.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac